1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dead Battery?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by tsatsawassa, Jun 24, 2017.

1. tsatsawassa

tsatsawassa New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I had to leave my 2015 Prius C sitting in my garage for seven weeks without starting it. It has 25,000 miles on it. Wouldn't start when I tried to start it. Had it jumped and I drove for about 20 minutes before shutting off. It wouldn't start again so I jumped it again. Drove for another 20 minutes before shutting off. Still won't start.

The dealership I bought it from new, two years ago, is never helpful. I want to be prepared when I tell them what's wrong, and what they say needs to be done to fix the problem.

I purchased the five year extended warranty.

Thanks.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The car is constantly imposing a slight load on the battery. If the car is used regularly, it'll be ok. But: two years, old, sitting idle for seven weeks, it's been drained.

Jumpstarting and driving for 20 minutes does not restore a dead battery. Depending on how motivated you are:

1. Purchase a smart charger, in the 3~4 amp range, one that's capable of assessing the battery state and running a charging session. Hooking up at the under-the-hood jump point is fine. It'll likely take around 12 hours to complete.

2. Head for your dealership, they can try similar, or more likely: will sell you a new battery.

If you're going to leave the car sitting for 7 weeks, a smart charger can be left on, indefinitely. This'll prevent mishaps like this. A good quality charger would be the CTEK 3300.

3. Sean Nelson

Sean Nelson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Just as another data point, I left my 2012 Prius C with its original battery sitting in my garage in moderate temperatures while I went on a 7-week vacation last fall. On my return the car started immediately despite the neglected four-year-old battery, and it continues to work perfectly.

tsatsawassa and Mendel Leisk like this.