1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dead Hybrid Battery Maybe?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Xavier02, Dec 27, 2021.

1. Xavier02

Xavier02 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Black Prius 2002 Codes P0443 P3000 P3006 C1259 Every 100 miles. Any ideas on why I’m getting these codes. My mechanic has Techstream and he says their are no bad cells. But has P3000 P3006 C1259 for the past month but only after 100 miles or so. I been having P0443 after 100 miles or so for the past two weeks so that’s new. I wonder why I have theses codes if there no bad cells. I do hear the hybrid fan in the back being noisy. My Mechanic wrote down the voltages and everything below. Any ideas would be nice.

Attached Files:

#1 Xavier02, Dec 27, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2021
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could be corrosion

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The P3006 is the car's built-in battery control ECU telling you that it has seen excessive charging/discharging voltage variation between the battery modules, and has seen it on two separate trips. If you reset the codes, the two-trip detection rule means you won't see the codes again until the excess voltage swings have again been logged by the computer on two separate trips.

There is a procedure in the repair manual for observing that. It doesn't involve just writing down a bunch of voltage readings at a point in time; it involves watching Techstream's MAX V and MIN V together while repeating an engine-running/engine-stopped stall test in reverse over a period of more than twenty minutes.

So when the mechanic is telling you nothing's wrong with the battery, he's telling you that the clear P3006 reported by the battery ECU is a mistake. I'm not going to say that's impossible, or the computer is infallible or anything, but if he's going with the story that it is mistaken, he shouldn't just stop there. He should be continuing the story with how he thinks the ECU got to that wrong conclusion, what his evidence is for that explanation, and what he thinks ought to be done to fix it.

My 2001 manual doesn't have P0443 in it; that looks like an evaporative-emissions related code they might have added for 2002. It probably has the same kind of two-trip detection rule that the battery code has, so again, if you clear it, you don't see it again until the ECM has detected the problem again and confirmed it is there on two different trips.

It isn't related to the other codes you had before; it is just a separate issue the car has developed more recently.

4. Xavier02

Xavier02 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Well my question is why does it come up every 100 miles for p3006 if no bad cells I had the car since 2003. You think it could be corrosion or a unbalance battery pack? P0443 is a code have I saw it on his Techstream if it needs replacing Prius hybrid repair in Annapolis said they would do for 1095$ you think that’s a good price?

#4 Xavier02, Dec 29, 2021
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2021
  5. Xavier02

Xavier02 New Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I really had not any problems expect back in 2010 where I had a code P0110 so I had a mass air flow sensor replace back in 2010