1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dead Hybrid Battery... Options? (Upstate NY)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by timg, May 31, 2012.

1. timg

timg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I turned on my car this morning to find myself faced with a variety of colored lights, including a little red car on a black bar on my MFD. Drove straight to the dealer and received word that the car was throwing codes P0A80 and P3023 and they recommend replacing the hybrid battery to the tune of $3000 installed (plus tax). I have a 2006, have done all the recommended maintenance at the dealer and it has about 133,000 miles on it. I have put in a call to Toyota on the off chance that they will help me out in some capacity even though they technically don't have to (apparently only 2008+ models are covered by the 150k/10 year warranty in NY although I will check my warranty card in the car later).

I have searched the site and read up on this but was hoping someone might be able to recommend somewhat local places that could do the swap if I went with a salvage battery or a reinvolt. My car is in pristine shape and looks brand new other than this battery thing.

It seems crazy that you'd have to invest over $3k in a repair on a 6 year old, very well maintained vehicle. Yes, you can break it down to X cents per mile or justify it in other ways but it still doesn't sit right with me.

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    You have several lower cost options.
    1. Remanufactured Hybrid Vehicle Battery Packs rebuilds reliable Hybrid batteries. I have one in my 2004 Prius. It cost me $2000 installed and is doing well 29k miles later.
    2. Buy a salvaged recent vintage, low mileage HV battery and install it. This is about $1000 if you do it yourself and about $1500 if you have someone else find one and install it.
    3. Fix the one you have. This requires some expertise, a few modules from eBay (about $35 each) and about $150 for 4 charger/rebalancers (I use SuperMate DC6 units, it takes abover a day to rebalance one module using one charger and there are 28 modules) and can be accomplished in about two weeks (your car would be disabled for that period. Note that you can do this to your old battery while driving the salvaged one above and sell the refurbed one for about the $1000 the salvaged one cost you.
    JeffD

3. justlurkin

justlurkin Señor Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm pretty sure that's not accurate.

Mine is a 2007 and the HV battery is covered for 150K / 10 years according to the warranty manual in mine. My Prius was purchased in NJ and registered in NY (both states use California emissions standards so the 150K / 10y battery warranty applies).

I think your '06 is covered for 150k / 10y too, if it was bought and registered in NY.

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  5. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If it were me, I would:
    1) Try to get the dealer to replace the battery under warranty
    2) If 1) fails, reset the codes and see if they come back before doing anything (I can't tell you how many times I've had codes come on and I reset them and they never come back (mostly on my Gen I though))
    3) If 1) and 2) fail, replace the bad module on the battery (there is plenty of how to info here). A module costs about $40 on Ebay.

6. timg

timg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks guys. The dealer had some sort of reference guide where it said NY models began at 2008 so there is conflicting information. I will definitely mention the warranty thing to Toyota when they call me back as it does seem to be covered according to what is written in the warranty book that came with the car.

7. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Each state enacted CARB rules at different Model Years. 2008 may be correct for New York.

8. timg

timg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Spoke with Toyota this afternoon and before I could really say anything the rep. asked if my car was purchased and registered in NY. He said he's pretty sure I'm covered under warranty but has to do a little more research. I should know for sure by Tuesday morning at the latest.

9. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    For what it is worth, this link is to the NY CARB Regulations (Warning, there be legal language there):

Subpart 218-8: Greenhouse Gas Exhaust Emission Standards - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

JeffD

usnavystgc likes this.
  10. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    From what I can tell (with my pea brain), it applies to 2009 and later (which may include 2008) but, I'm putting no faith in my interpretation of that regulation.

If you don't get it fixed under warranty, the guy who posted above me (jdenenberg) is the man when it comes to HV battery repair. I read all his posts on battery repair and if I'm ever in your situation, I will review his posts in detail before attempting any repair to an HV battery.

Thanks for all the info jd

11. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Two members here that have more experience than I in HV battery repair are Seilerts (The Battery Curmudgeon) and Imwoody (Owner of AutoBeYours.com).

JeffD

usnavystgc likes this.
  12. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The battery wears through use and particularly over time. It so happens you're one of the unlucky ones who's had an earlier failure.

The bigger issue that doesn't sit right with me is that the battery is treated as a single part, when it should be repaired instead. As the techs and twiddlers on this site have shown repeatedly, many of the battery failures are the result of a failure of single component or module.

I hope that the battery has at least gone a long way to recovering the hybrid premium in the miles you've driven it.

usnavystgc likes this.
  13. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I have a 2007 Prius. My warranty states 10 years 150,000 miles in New York.
    I purchased and registered in New York. Hope This Helps

14. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I totally agree with the above statement. Many have reported/documented successful replacement of a battery module. This has been done numerous times and is the route I will take if/when I'm faced with this problem. I'm expecting it to happen any day on my 11+ year old Gen 1 with the original traction battery.

Every day I'm amazed that the original traction battery is still performing well and every day I wonder if today will be the day I get the dreaded triangle and DTC's. So far so good though.

15. timg

timg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Update: Just received a call from Toyota and I *AM* covered by the 10 year / 150k warranty. The rep put in a call to the service manager today at my dealer to make them aware of this and I should hear more in the next day or so. But bottom line is, Toyota is covering me.

/insert huge sigh of relief here :)

16. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, it's good to hear that and perhaps you should go ahead and get it replaced. But, reviewing all the posts above I'm surprised no one has asked the kicker question: Have you checked the 12v battery?

If you still have the OEM 12v battery there is a good possibility the car is throwing a bunch of false/misleading codes...including a bad HV battery. And don't just let them check the surface voltage...have it load tested.

See thread:

dave77 likes this.
  17. timg

timg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I checked it via the diagnostic mode and it appeared to be good according to the tests outlined in the posts I found on here. I want to say they replaced it at some point a while back too but I'd have to check my documentation. That said, I have noticed the battery charge being wonky for quite some time, I'd park only to find the traction battery depleted when I'd go home from work, stuff like that so pretty sure it wasn't the 12V.

Either way, if they're willing to replace the battery with a new one for free I don't see how I could go wrong. Hopefully the next one will last me at least another 130k miles.

18. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Good deal. You don't sound as bitter as you did b4. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

19. timg

timg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Not having to potentially drop $1000s has that effect :)

usnavystgc likes this.
  20. timg

timg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Finally got my car back last night. Took about 2 weeks after approval to get the part in, etc. Not sure what the delay was but they gave me a 2012 Plug-in as a loaner so I wasn't exactly burning up the phone lines asking about my car :)

So far so good with the new battery. I'm hoping this is the last one until it's time for a new car one day.

usnavystgc likes this.