1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

dead hybrid battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jtuchol, May 29, 2013.

1. jtuchol

jtuchol Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have a 05 with 59k on it had keys stolden ( long story) got new set made with mixed results didn't drive car much sitting in garage now only showing 1 bar and red triangle an explanation mark what do we do next? isn't there extended warranty on these?

2. css28

css28 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Can we assume that it doesn't start?

3. jtuchol

jtuchol Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no start I am going to see if codes are there and make sure 12v is fully charged too.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it might just need to be charged. i think you need special toyota charger.

5. 3prongpaul

3prongpaul Hybrid Shop Owner, worked on 100's of Prius's

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    one bar should be enough to "start" the ICE. Unhook 12V for a moment to clear codes, then make sure 12V is charged, try again. If you are new to Prius, make sure foot on break pedal when you power car on.

Did anyone mess with the orange plug on the Hybrid battery? if so, make sure it is properly seated, i.e. lever fully pressed straight down after it has been flipped up.

If none of this works you need to scan the codes with a hybrid aware scanner.

Lastly, if car has a clear title the Hybrid battery should still be covered under warranty.

bwilson4web, KK6PD and koolingit like this.
  6. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep!

7. jtuchol

jtuchol Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    had some paint work done on the car the guy is afraid of these so he pulled the plug, got done and now nothing but I was able to pull a code this is it P0A0D HIGH VOLTAGE INTERLOCK CIRCUT HIGH. don't have a clue what that means. I have a scanner that can read CAN cars came from sears.

8. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
  9. jtuchol

jtuchol Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ok, I am at work now I am going to look at that real good with a mirror when I get home. never had this issue before and I have had him do paint touch up work on all of my Priuses before.

10. jtuchol

jtuchol Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    good news! got it going you were right the plug if you look at it there is a smaller plug incorperated in the same plug and when you lock it down the smaller one was not lining up with the plug ( the metal bracket was bent up blocking it) put it back in and started right up! had to disconnect the 12v to clear the red triangle which it worked. now for the second problem, should I strat a nother thread OR just tell problem. my brake lite is on, abs lite on,vcs lite on and the little round red brake thing with the xplanation symbol start new thread?

11. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd say new thread. Before you do, get some codes, otherwise no way to help. Do a search here for "ABS blink codes" and pull the codes from the brake system, and list them.