1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Replaced traction battery, now engine wont start.

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by James Jensen, Jan 3, 2013.

1. James Jensen

James Jensen I'll modify anything.

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2006 Prius, it has 180k. I just replaced the traction battery because I had cell #2 go bad. I kept the core, because you know what I'm going to be doing. Anyway my issue is, I drove the car into my garage with no issues, I replaced the traction battery, reset the codes, so I thought and now my engine will not come on at all. I did have to put my old computer from my old traction battery in the new battery and I don't know if that has anything to do with my engine not turning on. My Prius is lit up like a Christmas tree and I cant clear any lights. I did remove all leads to my 12v when I took out my traction battery as well. My 12v is charged. It feels like the infamous single, small, hard to get to roll over disconnect button syndrome. It's got to be easy, but I just cant find it.

Signed, very frustrated.

2. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Moved to the Gen II forums from the Prius v forums.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Find the orange traction battery interlock switch on the left side of the traction battery case. When you reinsert it into its socket, you must first pivot the lever 90 degrees. Then you must slide the lever to lock it in place. The second part of that process often is omitted, causing warning lights and preventing the car from running.

PriusGuy32 likes this.
  4. James Jensen

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Patrick, thanks for the response. I went out in this frigid AZ desert weather and made sure I put the interlock switch in correct, and I did. Still no start.

5. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, if you are sure that the orange interlock switch is correctly inserted, then maybe the next step is to open up the traction battery case again and inspect the wiring harness connectors leading to the traction battery ECU.

What about the system main relays, didn't you have to move those over from the old to the new battery case?

I assume that the new battery came with the orange plastic bus bars and the very thin-gauge voltage sense wiring. Make sure that wiring was not damaged.

6. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm still betting it is the interlock switch not properly inserted. I have seen this too many times and it always turns out to be the interlock switch not inserted properly.

Here's one example
    Help! Oh no! No Ready Light after replacing Traction battery | PriusChat

Here's another
    transaxle disengaging & hybrid system & ABS warning lights | Page 3 | PriusChat

And another

Hi Patrick,
    Thank You! You got me thinking about the 'full' operational positions of reinstalling the Traction Battery Service Plug.
    I thought the two small pins on the Service Plug "engage" when the lever is pushed 90 degrees down. I had simply forgotten the 3rd position, which is to slide the entire lever "Downward" as the final motion to engage the two small pins for the "Low-Voltage Interlock Loop".
    It took about 3 power-ON-cycles to get the car to "realize" that the Service Plug Interlock Loop was made, with each try, I heard more relays clicking-in, especially from within the Traction Battery. At this point, all the warning lights went out, the "READY" message appeared, the engine started and I was able to switch into Drive and Reverse.
    Yahooo! What a relief!

It looks like once you get it installed properly, it takes 2 or 3 cycles of the ignition switch to get everything synched back up.

Britprius likes this.
  7. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Here's a good PDF on installation. Pay close attention to the last step (step 9. (c)) on pg 21-118.

Attached Files:

koolingit likes this.
  8. James Jensen

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Patrick, I stand corrected. YOU ARE RIGHT. I re-read your first post and went out to observe the motion of the orange interlock switch and every time I would put the switch in, raise the lever and that's it. Never once did I push the lever down. So wala, you now are my best friend. (y) The engine came right on, did a full charge on the traction battery, I drove around feeling rather giddy that I have a new best friend. :)
    Thanks again for your advice, you saved me a lot of frustration. I also picked up an inverter as well and going to install it today. Mine is making strange noises about every 2 minutes.
    Thanks again.

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats on your success.

Pls say more about these strange noises. The inverter usually will make a whining sound when the Prius is READY, and the sound will vary depending upon the load on the inverter. The inverter coolant pump will sound like an aquarium pump.

10. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I knew it.!!!!

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good one navy!!

usnavystgc likes this.
  12. James Jensen

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Patrick, it does sound like an aquarium pump (semi-loud), mixed with a rapid electrical click. It comes on and off about every 2 minutes, driving or not driving. The sound is coming from the inverter and when sound goes off, there is a single click in the fuse box. I also hear faint water movement when I'm inside the car. When I turn the car off and start to walk away, from all the noises it makes, I swear it's going to turn into a transformer (it would have to be a baby smurf transformer) It's hysterical. Baby blue is the color. It must be talking to me. I think I'm going to call it Christine, if you've seen the movie you'll know what I'm talking about. :eek:

13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hearing water movement in the car is air trapped inside the engine coolant loop. Your hearing cavitation in the heater core box under the dash. You must have changed the engine coolant somewhere along the line and never got the air out. Its very hard to get all the air out of the engine coolant on this car given the CHRS. Many many posts here on how to do it.

Please be aware your probably overheating the engine. There is no dash thermometer so you will not know this until the engine reaches very hot level and throws a cel.

Be careful here. Easy to damage the aluminum cyl head. This is where a scan gauge really pays off.

14. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you don't see any warning lights on, then I suggest you drive the car as-is for a while and see what happens. The problem may not be related to the inverter. More likely, the sound is caused by the brake actuator assembly mounted on the firewall behind the inverter.

If you have the cabin heater on and hear air bubbling sounds, then I would agree with Ed. Otherwise, it is possible that you have water trapped either in the cowl pan where the windshield wiper motor is located, or within a door, and as the car is moving around the water is sloshing back and forth.

15. James Jensen

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Sorry for the late response, life unfortunately got in the way. Looks like I'm going to have a lot to do this coming weekend regarding diagnosing my Prius. I changed my brakes 2 months ago, prior to changing them I was getting dash lights on and then I couldn't stop the car. It usually happened at start up, forward and reverse (talk about scarring the crap out of me.) I would have to stand on the peddle to stop the car. I changed the pads and now I don't have that problem. A couple of times it did happen while driving. Scary. Thank goodness for emergency brakes. Since I changed the pads, I've put it out of my mind. Looks like I'm going to have to re-visit the brake problem.