1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Help! Oh no! No Ready Light after replacing Traction battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by mwester, Oct 6, 2012.

1. mwester

mwester New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We just replaced the Traction battery in my 2004 prius. The car has 242,000 miles on it and was running fine when we pulled it in. The battery was purchased used from a 2005 prius with just over 80k on the clock. The replacement battery was removed from the wrecked prius less than a month ago.

The problem is that after installing the new traction battery, every thing looks great except the Ready light will not come on. There are no warning lights except the little red light that indicates there is no key in the car. The key will remotely lock and unlock the car so I'm sure the battery is not dead and the no-key light stays on even if I insert the key into the key slot on the dash. The shifter will only move from Park to Neutral.

What am I doing wrong? Is there some special procedure to go through to make the car recognize the key after replacing the battery? Help would be greatly appreciated!

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You do not have the Hi voltage battery Big Orange Safety interlock connector seated properly. Has to be slid and locked.

And if me I would still get a DC voltmeter and check the 12 volt battery voltage on the front jump points also.
    Report that back here. Anything less than 12.3 is not good.

bisco likes this.
  3. mwester

mwester New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Ed. I did check the 12 volt battery voltage before we installed the new traction battery using the Maintenance Mode screen from the MFD. It was reading exactly 12.3. We checked the safety interlock switch and "thought" we had it seated properly. I'll check it again just to make sure.

4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This is a really common problem. There's definitely a trick to getting that interlock fully seated. As Ed said, make sure the handle slides and locks into position.

5. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The handle has to be slid upwards after it is locked in position.

6. mwester

mwester New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That was it! Thanks guys! I was about to panic thinking I'd have to take it to the dealer.

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    We want to see the 2nd mode. Here's how:

After car has sat overnight and without turning it on and without your foot on the brake push the start button once...and then again. 2 pushes no brake. That puts the car in IGN and applies a load on the 12 volt. Measure the front jump points in this mode. This shows the true battery health.

Since you said 12.3 in standby I would expect it to be 11.6 which is screaming replace me!!!

8. mwester

mwester New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I checked the 12 volt battery... under no load it would read 12.3/12.4. When I put it into accessory mode it would drop to 12.0/12.1. When I power on the car to Ready mode it reads 14.1. I think this means it's still working properly. It was replaced a little less than 2 years ago so I'd be surprised if it's gone bad this quick.

On another topic... Having just replaced the traction battery with a used one, supposedly taken from a prius with only 80k, I'm a little troubled to find that it's exhibiting some of the same symptoms that my bad battery was having.

The battery charges up ok but it's still showing some depletion after being left overnight. The day after replacing it after arriving at work at 8:00 and going out to lunch around 12:00, the battery had depleted to the point where only two purple bars were showing on the battery meter. It's only done this once though.

Five days later it seems to be improving but my gas mileage is still hanging around 42/43 where I used to get 50/51.

So... I'm wondering if it takes a while for the traction battey to "normalize" after having sit for a while and then being put back into service or if maybe the charging system takes a while to get a grip on how the new battery accepts a charge.

I have a 60 day warranty on the battery so I'm wanting to make sure it's good before I'm stuck with it. Is there any kind of test I can do on the traction battery without having to completely remove and open it to check the individual cells?

Thanks in advance for any insight or experience you guys might have concerning this.

9. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think is normal to see state of charge variations in the coarse of a day or two. The battery ECU has to guess initially. Temperature change will cause it to be off a bit, and it then will recalibrate after some usage. How much it varies while driving depends on the conditions. Sometimes I see two purple bars in stop and go with A/C on. Most people will say that it usually stays near 5-6 bars. Plenty of all green going downhill.

I would say 12V battery is probably fine, but the drop in MPG is caused by all kinds of things. I would say it is one of the more mysterious of topics here, where a small drop in MPG can't be diagnosed.

Take a look at PriiDash, which forum is here on PC, as it can log the voltages of all the cells. The author has done some plotting of cell variation, and is very able to help you get started.

10. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    A couple of months ago my 2005 was acting kind of weird. I was expecting the traction battery to fail as it felt the ones I see with bad traction batteries do, however, all is back to normal now. I would see how it goes for now.

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Aux battery 12 in load is OK. Don't like the change of soc just sitting though. And your low mileage may just be just
    its stuck in town mode. Once it memorizes alot of town stop & go it takes a nice long hi way drive to get back to good numbers. So try that. Zero out reset consumption meter and go for a nice long hi way drive with full hypermile mode.

If it was me and I had spent $$$ or new traction and it was not looking really good I would spend $125 more and either find an Indie or go to dealer and have them hook up the Techstream and go for a ride. They can check all Hybrid battery parameters. Charge rate, balance,delta,temp. They will charge $125. Post there exact conclusions and all numbers back here.

Also make sure you change the Inverter coolant too. Its cheap easy and will really help.

12. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Sometimes (especially running with A/C on high) I find that my SOC can drop pretty rapidly when I first start the prius and get underway. Normally when just sitting though, it doesn't lose any SOC bars. Remember that the Prius tries to minimize the use of the engine (even though it's running) in the first minute or two after you start to drive! This can drain the traction battery really quickly in the first minute or so.

I think it usually happens like this: I park the car with 6 bars SOC, but the A/C is running and it's in EV mode while I'm maneuvering to park etc. So it's probably borderline to drop to 5 bars anyway (maybe it even drops to 5 during the last moments of parking and I don't notice). Then when I get back in some time later, the A/C comes back on and again if it's warm it may remain fully electric while maneuvering out of the car park. Then when you get on the road the Prius always tries to minimize the power from the engine and uses the traction battery heavily, so you look down and suddenly you're at 2 or three bars.

I'm not saying that this happens to me all the time, but it's definitely something I see from time to time. A really good tip to avoid seeing this so often is tap the accelerator and kick the engine on when you first get in, then let it just idle in "P" for about 45 to 60 seconds before you drive off, especially if you need to accelerate fairly quickly once you're on the road. Another thing that can help a little is driving with the windows open for the first two minutes instead of using the A/C, though I know that one is not always practical if you're sitting in traffic and not moving.

13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thee OP is saying he's losing charge overnight.

14. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Taylor Automotive (The home of ReInVolt) is in Sanford NC. Take your Prius there and have them tell you the health of your "new" traction battery.

JeffD

15. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yeah I know that, but I think sometimes when people say this, that the above is what's really happening. :)

People sometimes under-estimate how quickly you can drop SOC bars if you're at 5 or less first thing when you start out without letting it have a short warmup first. Especially if the AC is on high, and even more so if they were running in electric mode just before they shut down previously as it might have been just about to drop a bar anyway. (And it seem to take about 10 seconds after it reaches a particular SOC threshold before it actually changes so you could shut off before you seen the change).

16. mwester

mwester New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Guys! Thanks for all the info...

This morning I drove the car to church. When I parked it last night it was all green bars, then when I started out this morning it was at the top of the blue bar level. Within about three miles it dropped two more bars and then I was at church. After church, about three hours after leaving home, I got back in it and had only two purple bars showing.

I'm thinking the battery has problems. I had no idea that ReInvolt was in Sanford, NC which is only about 30 minutes from my house. I'm planning to take Jeff D's advice and see if I can schedule a checkup with them one day next week.

I'll post back here what I find out.

Thanks again!!

17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah thats not right.

Reinvolt.

18. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    How long is the drive to church? Lots of short trips with the engine cold will drain the battery.

You should try my suggestion of letting the Prius idle in park for 45 to 60 seconds before driving. It will minimize the loss of bars in the first mile.

19. mwester

mwester New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well... I just heard back from Taylor Automotive (ReInvolt) and they assure me the battery has normal, equal voltage levels across all the individual cells. The only anomoly they found is that the battery is losing some of it's capacity which is considered normal for a battery of it's age and miles.

The technition I spoke with seems to think the issues I've seen with the battery depleting after sitting for a while may be due to the battery and charging computer getting used to each other and will likely settle out after a while.

I guess at this point I'll just drive a few more weeks and see how it goes.

Thanks for all you input and advice!

20. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    See, and they didn't try to up-sell you to a ReInVolt (at least for now). :)

JeffD