1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

1. Jerry Harris

Jerry Harris Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hi everyone,
    Had a call from a friend who jump started another dead car using a gen 3 2012 Prius. He connected the jump leads directly to the battery terminals in boot. Unfortunately the guy connecting the leads at the other end managed to short the 2 jump leads.

Lots of bangs & sparks from the engine bay. No fire. I went the next day & there were over 10 blown fuses in the fuse box at the engine bay.

When I press the remote key unlock, the hazard lights flash but does not unlock the car. Same with the lock function.

I opened the car manually & took the 12v battery out which had leaked badly from the negative terminal. I then replaced all fuses & even replaced all relays at engine bay from my working Prius just to check. Then replaced the 12v battery with a brand new one.

When I press the brake pedal & press start button, there is an engine management light & security light is flashing with a long beep. Park light is illuminating on switch, but no gear position indicator on dash. No ready lights or Prius welcome screen. When I press the start button again, the above 2 lights switch off & beep sound stops as if the system is switched off.

I connected a diagnostic scanner & there is no power to the OBD port. I also cannot put the car to neutral as the system does not power up.

I also checked the fuse board behind glovebox & there is no power there. I also checked the HV battery fuse which is not blown & is also locked in the right position.

The doors do not lock or unlock from the button inside car. Windows do not go up or down. No power to stereo or wipers. However, the hazard lights, brake lights, dome lights & head lights work.

First I want to get the door locks to respond to remote key because the car does respond to key by flashing the hazard light & giving a beep. But I believe to do this, I will first need to get power to fuse board inside car. Is this correct?

Is there any other checks I can do? Can I swap any modules from my working Prius to get the car to start? I feel for my friend as he only got the car 3 weeks ago & is still learning about it. He now knows not to jump start other non hybrid cars using his car which can have bad consequences let along short the jump leads.

Any advice will be kindly appreciated.

2. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Most likely the car was reverse polarity jumped, not shorted. Shorting would do less damage. I would verify the fusible links starting with the link on the battery positive terminal. The second is the main 125 Amp that is essentially under the engine fuse box. Checking voltages per the schematic would be smart prior to pulling the fuse box. Plus there are several fusible links in the engine fuse box.
    82CFC832-1EF2-408F-B466-233A4E43590E.jpeg

Fuse box gen3 w view of fusible link.jpeg

https://bit.ly/PriusGen3PowerSource

Attached Files:

#2 rjparker, Aug 15, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    Jerry Harris and JC91006 like this.
  3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You can help jump start a hybrid with another hybrid Toyota. But you cannot jump start a non hybrid with a hybrid Toyota

Jerry Harris likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    For a situation like this, you will really want to have Toyota's Electrical Wiring Diagram manual at your fingertips, and you will be referring to it often in tracking down what might and might not have been affected by the event. On this wiki page you can see your options for getting access to the EWD. I would have said toyota-tech.eu but I haven't been following how Brexit might have affected that.

For an example of someone carefully and patiently working through the aftermath of that kind of event, you can follow this thread here. In fact, I think DMAndy is in Maidenhead.

5. Jerry Harris

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the photos & info. I have had a look & cannot see the fuse under the main engine bay fuse board like in photo. There is a similar white thick wire going into the top of fuse board. I connected the 12v battery & then checked where it gave a reading of 12.15v positive at the white plug connector. I have attached a picture of this white plug. When I disconnect this plug, there is no power at all to any fuse on this board.

By this connector having 12.15v, does it mean the main 125 Amp fuse is not blown?
    Can you also please zoom out on photo so that I can see a bit clearly where this fuse might be? Thanks again. WhatsApp Image 2021-08-15 at 18.02.47.jpeg

6. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    40A8C4CE-BF1D-407D-AF1A-23229904BBA9.jpeg

Power on the white cable means the battery terminal fusible link is ok. But the 125a needs to be voltage checked somewhere downstream (to the right) of it. To access it the fuse panel has to be separated as shown in the first response.

Don't forget the rest of the fusible links as shown with the triple fuse icon.

526AAA53-67D2-4B27-9B19-49CAE3A4CB7A.jpeg

#6 rjparker, Aug 15, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
    Jerry Harris likes this.
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You can refer to this post for more on access to that inside fuse.

Naturally, it is a lot more convenient to confirm it's ok using a voltmeter and avoid digging down to it.

Jerry Harris likes this.
  8. Jerry Harris

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I have got some very good news & thanks for all the wonderful people in this forum. I like to learn something new any time I can & I have learnt a lot from this experience.

By the time I went for the 3rd time to check this car by the roadside, my friend had ordered a recovery truck to take it to a garage who has said that by the looks of it, the main ECU is fried. Surprisingly this conclusion was made by just looking at the car & by not doing any checks at all & the garage wanted to take the car & get out ASAP.

I told my friend that at the end of the day, it is his choice & his money. But by then, he had already booked the recovery truck & he wanted the garage to take the car away because they were famous. I then told him to give me 5 minutes to do a quick bush fix to see if it may work. If not, the other garage can have their way. The garage & recovery truck said that they can only wait for 5 minutes & then they will load the car up.

I voltage checked 125A fuse thick white wire which comes into the cabin fuse box & there was no continuity. So I established that the fuse was blown. I then got a jump lead & connected it to the engine bay positive jump terminal & the other end to the white cable connection inside the cabin fuse box. Connected the 12v battery terminals, put foot on brake pedal, pushed the start button. Lo & behold, the dash lighted up with all warning light & then came the Toyota welcome screen.

Connected the OBD scanner & there was power there as well. Ran a full scan, cleared all fault codes, switched power off & then on again. Then immediately the engine came to life. My friend paid the recovery truck & mechanic for their time & sent them away because he knew he dodged a hefty bill & for no end of parts to be replaced needlessly.

Now to the next step. The 125A fuse needs to be replaced & fuse board need to be put back into what it was before. I tried to lift the internal casing of the fuse board like in pictures to access the 125A fuse underneath. Not possible as it is pushed from underneath. So the fuse box has to be lifted up to access the 125A fuse.

Is there a step by step guide on how to remove the fuse box as I have tried it for over 3 hours without any luck. I have taken all the modules/connectors out & the main 2 bolts out as well. But it seems to be held from the inside of the wing. Fuse.jpg Fuse2.jpg Fuse3.jpeg

Mr. F likes this.
  9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    @jzchen has wrestled with the same fuse box (for a DRL mod) and found that the outboard side of the fuse box has a couple of plastic pegs that poke through holes in the inner fender. So the whole box needs to move inboard a little for those pegs to clear. That looks difficult, with some other stuff in the engine bay bracketed down just inboard of it.

[​IMG]

Jerry Harris likes this.
  10. Jerry Harris

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, the above picture shows two plastic pegs. This is why even after opening all the clips to split the fuse box, I can feel that something is holding it from freeing from the inner fender side.

11. Jerry Harris

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I was thinking of pulling the ECU out next to the fuse box so that I can get some space to pry it out of the fender holding the 2 plastic pegs.

12. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I got stuck trying that if I recall there is a bolt deep down on the fender that I was able to remove but something held that in place also. The best way I believe is to remove the fender and get at those "clips" but I didn't have the heart as the car sat at least one month or two. I just put things back together.

As of now the front right fender needs replacement I will hopefully paint it myself, get it clear bra'd and install it on my own. May make another go at DRLs. (I got tire rubbing 225/50R17 when I was in a rush due to a dent in the right front fender).

moto g(7) power ?

13. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Some have accessed the fuse by partially separating the two halves as shown here.
    081324AB-FC21-479D-94C4-9C1BD2D7DBDF.jpeg

Bottom view of separated box with fuse secured by two screws
    F048EF74-5080-40E5-BA5B-EBF065007AFB.jpeg

Note the fuse can be seen from the top using a good light. Obviously the challenge is access which might require full fuse box removal. The TIS site may have instructions at a cost of around $20 US.
    29C8F113-4F4D-4B5E-AA3D-59A06A5DADB5.jpeg

This pic shows the front left side (as seen from the front of the car). Note there is a section about three inches down and a vertical section on the left that you may have removed.
    E157B17F-04DB-4F3A-811C-49745ADF1AAF.jpeg

The remaining Thumbnails illustrate a theory of how part of the top is removed, partially highlighted by Chapman in green on the illustration.

Attached Files:

#13 rjparker, Aug 16, 2021
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2021
    jzchen likes this.
  14. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Further thoughts on accessing 125a fuse:

1. It would nice if one of our resident Documentarians would dig into TIS and find a Repair or Replace Instruction on this fuse (sold separately by Toyota). Yes I am looking at you Mendel particularly since you and the Op are both subjects of the Queen.

2. A similar problem was discussed for another Toyota in another forum where the answer was partial disassembly of sections of the fuse box directly in front of the fuse access. That blogger stated removing the sections required pushing into the slots while simultaneously pulling on the section. A difficult dance since there were a couple of slots that needed this at the same time. He suspected there was a special tool to make it easy, something Toyota has been known to do.

After viewing my fuse box again, the above seems possible. See pics.
    D3825D5C-35A2-4C9F-9346-0EB55BDFD78C.jpeg

and
    C7A76C1E-DD48-4979-9039-92D372975300.jpeg

#14 rjparker, Aug 17, 2021
    Mendel Leisk and jzchen like this.
  15. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It might be possible to just drop the plastic wheel well liner and look up, and see where those pegs poke through.

I can't quite tell whether those look like straight pegs that just slip through the holes to help position the box, or more like clips that would take some force to pop out.

A while back I ordered a used fuse box for cheap online to study how it went together, and it arrived with those pegs broken off. So that's another way. :) They took chunks of the side of the box with them, so I might not call it a good way....

jzchen likes this.
  16. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm in HI until Thursday that will be the next chance I get to search my files and look at the fuse box. (Sorry about this).

moto g(7) power ?

17. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Fuse box is three layers as far as I know. (At least the Prius c one I got that I disassembled). What the heck is that odd shaped area for? I was able to pull that cover but there was nothing really underneath at least that I can remember. (It's been a really long time so I could be confused)....

moto g(7) power ?

18. rjparker

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I looked at this possibility this morning and it appears the fuse box goes into a steel inner liner with a bracket the fender attaches to using two bolts. That bracket has maybe one inch clearance with the fender still in place. If a guy had an appropriate tool maybe the fuse box pegs could be released without fender removal. It seems to be one of those things where assembly is easier than disassembly. But I hear Mendel is on the case now.

#18 rjparker, Aug 17, 2021
  19. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Here! Don't go nutz about bolts!

moto g(7) power ?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Here's the bare-bones engine bay fuse box removal/install instruction from Repair Manual; haven't really looked it over. Can look some more in a while.

Attached Files: