1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dead traction battery -- worth replacing?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kathcart, May 3, 2014.

1. kathcart

kathcart New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2005 Prius, 164k miles. "Uh-oh dashboard light-up." Codes P3000, P0A80.
    Independent garage rec new battery pack for ~$3k, or checking with Toyota for goodwill or partial pay replacement (don't know if I have the stamina for that after things I've read on chat).

Dealer says $3855 plus $372 labor, maybe less 15% - have to check with service mgr Monday. Nah.

I have calls in about refurbished battery replacement to Battery Boy ($1200 - 1 year warranty), and Greentec ($1100 6 mo, or $1345 18 mo warranty). I'd need to find somebody in Bay Area to install (any recommendations? - Greentec's website says they have installers, ?how much). Dorman website says 3yr warranty but doesn't list any installers in my area, and I can't find a price.

Using about a quart of oil every 600-1000 miles, so I worry about the ICE failing soon, followed by the next major ticket item/etc. We're 3rd owners, bought it at 125k miles. (We know the other 2 owners, no previous big ticket maintenance items, has had regular service).

If I decide not to do anything is there anywhere I could unload it easily for more than junk your car's offer ($1875)? I'm thinking I should buy a refurbished battery then sell it, since I'm not one who likes going to the repair shop.

Thanks in advance for any and all recommendations.

2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Should you have a mechanic or auto electric shop that will take it on (or you if you are strong, brave and careful) here are some cheap batteries,

2004 prius battery | eBay

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you can afford to, i would replace it. see what kind of deal they will make, or throw it on craig's list as is to see what you can get.

4. kathcart

kathcart New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately I am neither especially brave nor mechanically/electronically inclined, and I don't have a lead on a good independent mechanic to install a battery for me. Does anybody have one to recommend in the East Bay (Oakland/Berkeley/Walnut Creek area)? I also have an email into Luscious Garage in SF to see if they have any used (non-high mileage) batteries available.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  6. kathcart

kathcart New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, Patrick. Art's offered to sell and install a new battery for me for around $3k. I was looking for less expensive options...