1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Deal killing drivers seat

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by web1b, Mar 23, 2008.

1. ewxlt66

ewxlt66 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I'm 6'6 and the Prius absolutely sucks for the seat dept. My head almost hits the ceiling and my knee almost contacts the gear shift knob.

Priority #2 for me since Priority #1 is complete (tint) is figuring a way to get the seat moved back!!!

That said, I've had no pain from the back or thighs...yet.

2. Linden

Linden New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The Corolla might having a telscopic steering wheel but the tilt sucks! At its highest point, the steering wheel still touched my legs. I was consdering a Corolla - and that was the deal breaker. I even tried out the 2009 - and it had the same issue.

I've had no issues with the Prius seats after 8 weeks of ownership. The first big test though will come when I go on a 11 hour road trip next week.

3. kazie60

kazie60 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I wrote a letter to Toyota complaining about the seats. They sent a letter back and gave me a case number telling me a number to call. A Customer Relations person talked to me. This is what I learned:

My compaint about the uncomfortable seats is the first one this man had heard of. Imagine that!! Please write them letters!

There is no plan to change the seats for the 2009 models. Why should they since they have never heard of any complaints!

They have never heard of priuschat. I suggested they check out what the owners are saying about their seats!

I have tried every back support and seat cushion I could find and have sent them all back. None helped. I feel like my lower body is constantly floating and I am fighting to keep me in a seat that offers no support. My shoulders and neck always ache after I have been driving. Never had any problem with a seat in a car before this one. It sure takes the joy out of enjoying the rest of the car which I do love.

1 person likes this.
  4. djg12

djg12 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I guess it was disappointing and at the same time almost expected when I sat in the Prius and found the seat to be uncomfortable.
    I previously owned an '04 RAV4 and hated the seat. I could never find a comfortable position.
    This time I have leather seats and wonder if that makes just enough difference to be tolerable. At least now I can usually find a position to be comfortable in.
    I will never understand why Toyota 'cheaps out'. I have mostly always owned VWs. The car I got rid of to get into the Prius was an '05 New Beetle with sport seats. These were the most comfortable seats I have ever had in any car, and I knew I would not find the same in the Toyota.

It is still baffling though, from a company that can make a Lexus why can't they put a little more thought into the Prius!?:confused:

5. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm 6'3" and have no problem with the seat. I also have a very bad back and find that the Prius offers me perfectly fine support. Sure, it would be nice if there were more adjustments, but its not that bad. I'm wondering why some people bought the car if they hate the seat this much?

6. root4wings

root4wings New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I never gave the seats a thought, until I read through this thread. The seats in my '08 Prius are very comfortable, although I have yet to take a long trip in it. On the other hand, the 3 Hondas I have owned were very uncomfortable, especially in the back of the upper leg area.

7. dukecharmary

dukecharmary New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    We have one ordered after really enjoying a number of test drives. But do to the uncomfort in the seating I researched and checked around upholstery shops. A shop in Beaumont, Tx reassurred me that could do just about anything I wanted with the seats including side bolsters, heaters and extra cushioning. They even said they offer power adjustmentable seats. Just to add premium leather and some additional cushioning was about $1700, so we ordered pkg 5 without the leather which is about 500 over pkg 6. I suppose we have been spoiled driving all these years in GM pickups with leather/12way power seats. We need to do a whole lot more traveling and with a retired income, we are downsizing. Just love the new Prius but know without a doubt the long drives in the stock seats will be bad with our 60's aches and pains. We will see when it's all done.

8. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Duke, please let us know what the upholstery shop does to your seats.

9. dukecharmary

dukecharmary New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'll be glad to let ya know, I wish it would be soon but talking to the dealer this am its gonna be probably another 4 weeks before we get it. Most all the shops use presewn leather so they can't add much extra cushion. I will push to get either the gel or memory foam or both. But this one shop sure did tell me they could custom work to my liking. So we'll see......

10. zeeman

zeeman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    does anyone know if there is an aftermarket seat rail kit that can
    A: lower the seat somewhat (inch or two)
    B: "shift" (offset/move) the seat back for an inch or two?

because, that seem to be what i am noticing about prius seats

11. wired

wired wired

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

I went to an upholstey shop and for $40 I had made a 2" thick armrest that fits on top of the stock armrest and attaches with velcro straps. It is covered in matching grey vinyl and is very comfortable.

12. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I like the stock seats, and find them very comfortable. Am I the only one? :confused:

... Brad

13. bredekamp

bredekamp Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    How about importing an adjustable seat from a European model? We get the height adjustable seat here, but the side airbag is for right hand drive.
    The piccies will give you an idea of the adjustment possible...between 55-75mm ie an adjustment of about 2cm or an inch up or down in front

Attached Files:

14. zeeman

zeeman Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    maybe the rails can be reworked to lower/offset the seat?
    anyone looked into this in more detail?

15. kazie60

kazie60 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I think the seat's problems are more than lowering the seat. The seat bottom does not curve around the butt. You have to use your body to stay on it because you feel like you are floating without support. The shoulder/neck area is thrust forward and it makes that area ache. Brad is unique to say he likes it. Maybe it is his particular body build. I am surprised at how many people have gotten into my car on the driver's side and immediately said the seats are uncomfortable and ask me how do I adjust them. It is an instant feeling.

I have tried every cushion and back support out there and they just make the space smaller, they don't help. I love the car otherwise but this is a really hard thing to have to live with for long hauls.

1 person likes this.
  16. freshmtt

freshmtt Dachshund Addict

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    NO, you are not the only one,, I LOVE the seats,, in fact the seats were the deal maker for me. I told myself that when I sat in the car, if it felt like my butt was scraping the ground, I came from driving an SUV for 3 years, I was NOT going to buy this car... To my wonderful surprise, I felt high up in the seats, very firm and did not feel like I was sitting on the street. Something I think I would have felt is the seats were soft like pillows..

Maybe my butt can just take firmer seats than others, or other people have very sensitive behinds,, but for me, my butt likes the seats just fine :p

17. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Did you rent the cloth or leather seats version?

I thought the leather seats had lumbar support since it feels like it to me.

ZC1

18. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius

19. ZC1

ZC1 Junior Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hide 'em in some rumpy cloth covering.

ZC1

20. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    We must have similar proportions! I'm still lovin' the driver's seat! I've also gotten several compliments in terms of how comfortable the passenger seat is as well.

... Brad