1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer 15,000 Service? What is so expensive????

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by FLOATTUBR, Nov 8, 2006.

1. FLOATTUBR

FLOATTUBR New Member

I've scheduled my 15k service and about fell over when they quoted it at 167.00.
    What things can I do to save some money and not affect my warranty.
    Of course they can do my Full Syn Oil change and that should include some of the items they mentioned like: Brake inspection, Lube, Suspension check ect.
    Aren't those items standard with their oil changes?

I'm a great DIY and can handle the 2 air filters. I was just concerned about affecting my warranty.
    Thanks for all your input.

2. Ari

Ari New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You'll be royally ripped off if you pay that price. Only agree to pay the price for the oil change. They are only applying typical dealer fear tactics to get you to pay that much. Don't let them give you any crap about the Prius being a special car that requires extra attention. (It is a special car, but in this case they aren't doing anything to the car and your car is practically new anyway.)

See this thread also:

http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=15128&hl=

3. FLOATTUBR

FLOATTUBR New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FLOATTUBR @ Nov 8 2006, 04:09 PM) [snapback]345777[/snapback]</div>

Thanks for reassuring me. I'll let them do the oil and regular inspection. Change the air filters and I'll get the tires done at Americas Tire Company for 0.00

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FLOATTUBR @ Nov 8 2006, 01:09 PM) [snapback]345777[/snapback]</div>
    You can do it all yourself, it will not effect your warranty. Just save the receipt for the oil and filter and write the VIN, mileage, and date of oil change on the receipts. I also keep a maintenance log. It's easy to change the oil in this car. Here is how:

http://john1701a.com/prius/prius-oilchange.htm

All of the information from john1701a is good. I usually buy my oil filters from Toyota because I think they may be better and the cost isn't much more. For oil I get Mobil 1 5W-30 from a discount store.

5. prez1

prez1 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ari @ Nov 8 2006, 04:31 PM) [snapback]345797[/snapback]</div>
    I took mine in for an oil and filter at 15,000 miles, and they also inspected everything and rotated the tires. I don't have pre-paid maintenance. It was $22.95.

6. cbs4

cbs4 Member

prez1... what dealership changes the oil and rotates the tires for only 22.95??? I can't change the oil myself for 22.95... heck, the Mobil 1 5W-30 synthetic oil alone costs more than that... even at WalMart.

I just spent $400.00 at a PriusChat sponsor for filters for the Prius (20 oil, 10 air, 10 cabin). I'd resell my filters at a loss if I could get a synthetic oil change servic done for me at that price, at a dealer no less.

It would sure save me from dealing with the used oil all the time. My kitchen sinkdrain is starting to stain. Just kidding. But seriously, dealing with hauling used oil to the recyclers every month is a pain.

7. Ari

Ari New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cbs4 @ Nov 8 2006, 06:24 PM) [snapback]345881[/snapback]</div>
    Where do you take your oil? I take my used oil to the same Walmart where I buy my new oil - the door to the service department is only about 20 feet from where they sell the oil! They let me just walk in there and dump it in their oil bin.

8. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Ari @ Nov 8 2006, 03:36 PM) [snapback]345887[/snapback]</div>
    Same here, the auto parts stores also.

9. theorist

theorist Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FLOATTUBR @ Nov 8 2006, 04:09 PM) [snapback]345777[/snapback]</div>
    It's so expensive because too many customers will pay what the dealership asks for rather than walk away or shop around.

Suppose it costs the dealership $27 to do the service. Suppose the dealership considered charging $47. Then they estimated that if they charged $167, they would lose half of this demand. Even though their volume fell, the profit margin more than made up for it, raising their total profit on these services by 250%. (In this example the dealer would make more at the much higher price as long as the number of services sold didn't fall by more than 85%.)

The dealership would love to charge the $167 to any dupe ready and willing to pay that, but still serve remaining customers at a lower price with a smaller profit margin rather than lose them. One way they can do this is overcharge for the "xx,xxx mile service" but still charge a more competitive rate for "an oil change, tire rotation, brake inspection, and suspension inspection." Customers who are only prepared to ask for the xx,xxx mile service are less likely to shop around than someone who's read the owners manual and knows what Toyota calls for.

10. PA

PA Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FLOATTUBR @ Nov 8 2006, 05:09 PM) [snapback]345777[/snapback]</div>
    Umm ... because you're taking it to a dealer? :unsure:

11. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PA @ Nov 9 2006, 01:28 PM) [snapback]346323[/snapback]</div>
    I took my new 06 in to the dealer yesterday to inquire about cost for my first 5000 mile service if I supplied the filter and the oil. He quoted me 38 $ dollers for the service if I supplied the parts. Normally the 5000 mile service is 52$. All they do is check the fluids and top them off if necessary and rotate the tires and change the oil and filter.
    -Paul R. Haller-

12. mrbigh

mrbigh Prius Absolutum Dominium

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    I had the same grief with a 30000 Ml Toyota dealer service, one of the prices I got ranged to $495.00 for a lot of check-up and looking around on the exterior of the power train, my resolution was " sc-ew that ripp of service" and I have it done properly by a third party. ;)

EDIT: the SAVED money went to the 6yrs/100000 ML extended warranty. Thanks to Troy of Greenfield Toyota :D

13. osiris12

osiris12 Owner of 3, yes three priuses

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Paul R. Haller @ Nov 9 2006, 01:50 PM) [snapback]346382[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks for the wealth of information. I'm about to bring in my 2006 for at 15k scheduled maintenance this Friday. I do my own oil and tire rotation. According to the Prius maintenance booklet, the 15k checkup is just inspecting things. The dealer says a 15k checkup will cost me $289 without tax! For a measley checkup. After reading this thread, I'm going in with the attitude to have them just do what is in the manual and not the 15k checkup.

Any other pointers before I go in??? Please help...

14. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(osiris12 @ Feb 6 2007, 01:27 PM) [snapback]386157[/snapback]</div>
    I do my own oil changes and tire rotations too, I skipped the visit to the dealer at for 15K.

15. osiris12

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Feb 6 2007, 01:48 PM) [snapback]386168[/snapback]</div>
    But the dealer needs to record they have checked the other things in order for the warrentee to be enfored, right?

16. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(osiris12 @ Feb 6 2007, 04:54 PM) [snapback]386309[/snapback]</div>
    Not been a problem with my '00 Tundra, or any other car I've owned. I do log the oil changes and tire rotations, and save the reciepts.

17. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(osiris12 @ Feb 6 2007, 04:54 PM) [snapback]386309[/snapback]</div>
    No. Either change the filters on schedule or when they are dirty. The manufacturer can not void the warranty just because the car was not serviced at a dealer.

18. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I just love how these dealers bend customers over. Like how my dealer claimed it was my use of Mobil 1 that had some worrying used oil analysis reports, when it finally turned out to be their cheap crap no-name *contaminated* bulk oil.

Ever catch the little item "lube suspension?" I've looked all over my Prius and haven't found a single zerk fitting. Nothing on the ball joints, tie rods, etc.

19. osiris12

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman @ Feb 6 2007, 09:08 PM) [snapback]386492[/snapback]</div>
    So should I even bring it in for a 15k? I also do my own brakes, rotors. I just don't want them coming back later on and saying "I voided the Warrantee".

However, despite the front personal, the Prius Tech is very knowledgeable. I had lost my oil cap once after chaining the oil. It actually must have fallen off the air breather since I forgot to screw it back on. So I drove a few miles to the dealer. When I finally was able to speak to the tech, he just gave me one from the garage. I gave him a few bucks for it ($5) but he didn’t even want that.

Since then we have a good customer/machine relationship. But those at the front desk are something else. They know nothing about the Prius and assume every car is the same.

20. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(osiris12 @ Feb 6 2007, 10:24 PM) [snapback]386530[/snapback]</div>
    I don't have the book handy, but from what I remember when I did my own 15k service, oil change and rotate tires, it was more of the usual inspect this and that... In other words, nothing that seemed critical. If someone knows for sure that they are doing inspections beyond what I'd see myself with the car jacked up (leaking strut, loose muffler hanger etc.), say, for example, plugging in the scan tool and running HSD diagnostics or the like, please let me know. I plan on keeping this car a long time, but I also don't plan on spending any money I don't have too, though, either.