1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer Charges Fee for Entune Firmware Update

Discussion in 'Prime Audio, Electronics, and Infotainment' started by ML1, Aug 9, 2018.

1. ML1

ML1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I've got a 2012 Toyota Prius Plug-in Base model, so Entune firmware updates must be performed at the shop. I recently took my car in for regular maintenance, and asked them to update the firmware if it was out of date. It's been maybe three years since it's been updated so I figured there might be an update; perhaps it would help fix the infrequent Entune crashing and Bluetooth connection issues I've been having.

But they informed me updating the Entune firmware would incur a fee of $125. I thought they mistook my request for a maps/navigation update, but they were quite clear: firmware updates are only free within the 3-year warranty. I was quite shocked.

Has anyone else experienced this? What even is the most recent firmware update, anyways?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i have never had one. is this something they would mention when in for regular service? i did get an entire update usb in the mail way back in the day.

3. Sddunn

Sddunn New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Premium
    I work at a dealership and we do not routinely do software updates they are done if a customer has an issue like freezing etc.. it is covered in your 3year coverage but after that it is a customer pay service. That being said 125 bucks seems pretty steep to me we charge at most 60 bucks !!

4. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Why ?
    Unless there are safety issues included in an update, they are under no obligation to "extend" your warranty.

Do you expect Apple to give you a free firmware update on your phone every time they make an improvement......no matter how old the phone is ??

5. ML1

ML1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yes, I do. So does the rest of the modern world. Firmware updates, when available, are always free. Even major operating systems are trending that way; you pay for the hardware, software updates are included for free. There's a firmware update available for my car that might resolve some of the issues I've been having. And yet, they want to charge me for it. That's absurd. It's one more reason people hate dealers.

Hopefully, as more cars gain OTA capabilities, this foolishness will quickly become a thing of the past.

6. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I digress, my 15 Ram ecodiesel had updates for 36k or two years, then you pay a fee.
    Toyota charges for navigation updates, and why would anyone use entune, it’s terrible, much less pay for an update;)
    Safety connect has a subscription.

nice person~grass or gas, you pay or walk.

7. Xterra72

Xterra72 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    Firmware should be available online.

You can install the firmware yourself.

I don’t use entune anymore but when I used it, I updated my own firmware.

8. Yes USB update is how I have done my updates to Entune, there's no way a $tealer$hip is coughing money out of me to update to the latest version of their app suite! [​IMG]:rolleyes:
    P.S. Congrats bisco on avatar-proofing your profile! :cool:

bisco likes this.
  9. tchan2700

tchan2700 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced

But you don't take your hardware to Apple or MS store to do the updates. You do them...yourself.

10. mbusby

mbusby Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Entune updates are free. Unfortunately, I can't post the link to the Toyota site.