1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer 'Could not duplicate problem' while under warranty

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dpeverhart, Nov 2, 2016.

1. dpeverhart

dpeverhart Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    2007 Prius with date of first use in May 2007. Combination meter went out in 2014, took to dealer and it came back on. They couldn't duplicate so they did not replace. Now the enhanced warranty is up and it's gone out again but the warranty expired in May 2016. Dealer flat refused to cover. Is it worth trying to escalate with Toyota since it was originally reported when it was under warranty?

I found some people on ebay who repair these, can anyone recommend one?

I am capable of repairing myself, does anyone know what to look for to replace and/or solder on the circuit board?

Thanks!

2. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As far as I know, the Prius' 8 year, 100k warranty (10 year, 150k in California emissions states) only covers the battery. The combination meter would fall under the basic warranty of the car, which I believe only lasts for the first 3 years.

If you purchased an additional warranty, if you are able to demonstrate evidence that it was failing within the warranty period (which it sounds like you can), they should replace it now for free even though it is now past the warranty period. If it's clear in the service records that you came in stating that the combination meter was failing you have what you need. I would call and if they still say no, I would threaten to file a suit with your local small claims court. I would try another dealership first before actually filing such a claim though. You can try calling Toyota as well and confirm with them.

Understand that the guys at your dealership aren't legal experts. Ask them to please call Toyota and explain the situation. If you can get them to do this, you'll most likely get your warranty honored.

#2 Kevin_Denver, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  3. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    They actually should have believed you and just replace the combination meter then even if they could not replicate the problem. But since you mentioned it while it was still under the Warranty Enhancement it should be mentioned in the paperwork and I think that they should replace it for free.

To repair yourself combination meter repair - DIY | Page 4 | PriusChat

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how long is the enhanced warranty, 9 years?

5. valde3

valde3 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    bisco likes this.
  6. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    The wording in the enhanced warranty says that the dealer does not need to reproduce or witness the problem. If the customer gives a credible account, that's good for replacement. (It helps if you reported it on a cold day.) That worked for me last winter, though I had to educate the dealer about it. So yes, I say you have a legitimate gripe.