1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer Diagnostic Report Interpretation and Advice....please?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by b butterifield, Jun 8, 2017.

1. b butterifield

b butterifield New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    208,421 miles........hybrid.....yesterday I took to dealership and 9 codes came up. I am about to embark on a 3500 mile road trip.

What is critically important to fix BEFORE road trip?

p0420 Catalyst System Efficiency Below threshold bank 1
    c1256
    c1241
    c2124
    c2168
    b1421 Solar Sensor Circuit Passenger side
    c2300 Actuator System Malfunction
    c2318 Low Voltage Error (Power Supply malfunction)
    b1271

Engine and ECT (YES), Catalytic Converter(Catalyst Efficiency-FAIL Thumbs down-RED)o2 sensor pass thumbs up, tire pressure monitor, AC bad sensor, Transmission control, needs new tires and was told main battery usually dies about now 210k miles?????

Thank you

B Butterfield

2. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Traction doesn't die instantly, usually will see a loss of power especially starting from low speeds & gas mileage over several weeks. Lay off Jack rabbit starts will help.

it's great to buy an OBD plugin off of Amazon and you can link it to your phone with a free app like "torque obd check" torque obd check app - Google Search

With that you can clear your codes and see which ones pop back up again to help troubleshoot if you fix the problem or not it will also help you look up the codes on the web within the app.

3. drysider

drysider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If the 12v battery is more than 4 years old, I suggest changing it before you spend a lot of money with the dealer.

DonDNH likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If I remember right, the solar sensor code will come up any time the car isn't in the sun at the time of testing. So if it was indoors in a bay at the time, you may be able to disregard that.

But really, your best plan now is to look up these codes in the repair manual at techinfo.toyota.com. As you have already seen, these little one-liner fortune cookie descriptions you have now for some of the codes do not give you nearly enough information to make sense of what they are telling you. The sections on each code in the repair manual do.

-Chap

5. b butterifield

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you very much....I forgot to mention that the check engine light goes off periodically.......why would that happen?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    why did you take it in? were you having drivability problems? did the dealer not recommend any course of action?

7. b butterifield

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Check engine light on....then goes off.....2 days later on...then off....strange? No recommendation except I should sell it;part it out because it won't pass next inspection.......The tech said Cat could clog if it gets excessive fuel....$2,000 to replace....main battery usually goes between now and 250K, $3600 and $300 to diagnose tranny codes?? I am supposed to drive to RI tomorrow....your thoughts? It has 208k on it.

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Fly there.

If you must take that car, at minimum replace the tires and 12V battery, and keep your cellphone fully charged so you can call for roadside assistance.

#8 Patrick Wong, Jun 9, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2017
    M in KC and srellim234 like this.
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can get a cheap cat in texas, if i'm not mistaken.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  10. M in KC

M in KC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Check your oil. Intermittent check engine lights are routinely reported on here only later to find out the engine is dangerously low on oil.