1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer entertainment, letter

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by ALS, Sep 25, 2018.

1. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A few weeks ago I had to install a new traction battery in my 2010 with 78K miles, $2285

I come home yesterday to a letter from the dealer saying (between the lines) because I put in the new battery they'll give me an additional $2150 over KBB for my car on trade. They called the letter a Service Loyalty Reward Proposal.

Do they really think I'm going to trade my Prius in after putting in a new HV battery?

I loved the part that due to many requests for your type of vehicle we're making this offer to you. Plus since it is a dealer serviced car we really want it.

Sure you want a nine year old Prius sitting on your Used Car lot?

I can tell you they're not giving me $9,500-$10,000 (KBB plus the $2,150) for my 2010 Prius.

2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I get those proposal all the time for our 10 years old Civic. LOL
    Have you talked to the dealer, if they really really mean it? $12150 for 2010 Prius is really good trade-in, IMOH. ;)
    I traded in 2015 Prius two with only 30k miles last year, they gave me only $11k for it.:mad:

Starship16 likes this.
  3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmmmm.
    Interesting!!!

Since the battery warranty in a G3 is (according to the Googles)
    "........warranted either for 10 years or 150,000 miles (in states with California emissions laws) or 8 years or 100,000 miles in all other states." And....."There's no pro-rating at all. The battery will be replaced at no cost if necessary during the warranty period."May 13, 2011"

You're either extraordinarily unlucky or the dealer missed an opportunity to do a "Good Will" warranty extension and earn a lifetime loyal customer.
    This is one of the many reasons that I drive a Prius almost every day but have not bought a Toyota for nearly 20 years......

Granted....dealerships are not required to extend a hybrid component warranty for a few months to give the customer a break, and in some cases it just doesn't make good business sense to do so.
    Also.....$2300 isn't the most ridiculous price I've heard for an OEM replacement battery but if the OP is friends enough with the local dealership that they're getting targeted love letters from the service department - then they missed an opportunity AT BEST.....
    I would have offered the replacement battery at true dealer cost plus given the customer the next 5K service for free just to keep them coming back for more.

If I were the OP, I'd have a friendly chat with Team Toyota if the car really is 9 years old......and tell them that a REAL "Service Loyalty Reward Proposal" SHOULD come with REAL benefits and not just an opportunity to doink them over on the next sale.

#3 ETC(SS), Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
    Starship16 likes this.
  4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Counter propose, never hurts if they approached ya 1st.

Starship16 likes this.
  5. Starship16

Starship16 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    They sure seem to be selling for a lot more. I wonder what they would give me for my 2016? 24,000 miles.

KBB says between $16.9 & $18.2? So a dealer would probably offer $14,000? :eek: I paid $25K.

#5 Starship16, Sep 25, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2018
  6. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, my Gen3 was on the used car lot next day for $17k. All they did was wash and vacuum the car for $6k pure profit. No wonder they sold me brand new PRIME with $2.5k dealer discount.

Starship16 likes this.
  7. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So how did they know you replaced the battery? And know your address?

8. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe the OP bought the car in Pennsylvania??? ;)

Trivia question:
    Besides being one of four US states that are Commonwealths.....can anyone in the class name another 'club' that Pennsylvania is in?
    (hint: Currently, 16 other states have either joined, or are in the process of doing so......)
    ...anyone?

9. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Service records at the dealer. I get these types of letters at least twice a year. There is always the line in the letters that our used car manager has reviewed your service history.

Dealer service means any dealer that looks up my car sees that it has only been serviced at one or the other of two dealers in the area.

They're trolling for business by looking for low mileage vehicles that are regularly serviced.

10. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I thought those types of dealer letters tended to use the lower Black Book price as a comparison, not the Kelly Blue Book.

11. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III

12. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just making sure here.......but you did NOT buy the car in Pennsylvania.....RIGHT?

13. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I bought it in Pa. and the warranty on the battery is 8yrs or 100K here.

14. ETC(SS)

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Good to know.
    I only asked because I thought that I read that PA was a CARB state...but upon further reflection perhaps it's only slightly CARBinated.

Peace.

out.

15. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I thought the same thing and argued with the customer service rep at Toyota over that point. Pa. vehicles have to meet CARB standards but we only get the standard warranty.

16. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Best one I had with our 2010 was in 2016 with 128 k miles on the clock I got the “bring your car in and we’ll appraise it” letter that offered a free oil change as reparations for your time. Took them up on this and the salesman misread my odometer as 12k miles:eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O:cautious::whistle::censored:.

The offer was $12.5 k:ROFLMAO::LOL::ROFLMAO:.

Wasn’t looking to trade in, but hindsight could have gotten me a 2015 that was still on the lot(y)

mjoo and ALS like this.