1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer Fee

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by khowardrn, May 28, 2009.

1. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Really it is up to you. If you are OK with those fees, then buy it.

2. LaMesaGuy

LaMesaGuy Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    In San Diego CA, NO! No dealers markups or fees. Just MSRP cost of the vehicle plus tax (9.5 percent) and license. The 750.00 delivery cost and the three items that were install at the port (front, rear, cargo mats, the word PRIUS on the rear bumper, and a VIP Plus RS3200 Security System) were all included in the MSRP 33,148 price for a Class Silver/Misty Gray leather interior 2010 Prius V w/ATP with 11 miles on it when I took delivery of the vehicle last Friday.

3. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    My dad bought a Silver IV w/ NAV a couple days ago at a Toyota dealer in Redlands, CA (first one off their lot). They were getting MSRP + floor mats. What wasn't on the sticker was the "required" (or strong-armed) $595 installed 3rd party alarm they stuck him with. He said he didn't really want it but they managed to get it into the deal anyway. They also lowballed his Black '06 Prius pkg 2 by at least $1000. They caved on the prepaid maint and warranty pricing, but by then they had made quite a bit of $$. Funny thing is he felt like it was a decent deal and that he was treated well.

Some things that were on the car that mislead him as well were advertising blurbs for lane keep assist and adaptive cruise control (on a Prius IV which isn't a possible combo).

I tried to get him to talk them of the 3rd party alarm and into a VIP3200 system instead (he wanted an alarm of some sort) if they'd swap ($395 vs. $595). Alas they threw some BS line about not being able to do the VIP system except at "factory" (BS, the install is straight-forward and uses an in-line harness or two). The dealer had him return the next day for the install and it took them several hours to figure out the car as the "wiring was reversed" from the previous models. He now sadly has a "honk honk" with his "beep beep" when locking and unlocking the cars :( This dealer also tried to convince him he didn't have any sort of keyless entry on this car (which had 3 door SKS).

Now I'm not sure if some of this is just lack of product education on their part or if they were truly using misguidance to upsell.

He seems otherwise happy w/ the car and the deal.

Lessons to be learned: Beware of nasty tactics like this and do your research before walking in the door. Most dealers at this stage will not know much about the car and the less than honest ones will say whatever it takes you get you to sign the dotted line.

4. Midpack

Midpack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The 2 dealers near me got a Silver III w Nav, Red IV & Blue V - so far only the Red IV has sold, the other 2 will have been on their lots for 14 days tomorrow! They are offering the cars at MSRP with no add-ons whatsoever and no waiting. I keep hearing about others saying they are paying MSRP with all sorts of extras. For example, the cars/dealers I am talking about, the Red IV was $25,800 + $750 Dest PERIOD - I consider that MSRP. The doc fee is $119 plus tax of course.

It depends on where you are, I am fortunate to live in an area where demand just isn't that strong. So I hope to buy a 2010 under MSRP in a month or several. Best of luck to everyone.