1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer installed alarm - How do I disable horn alerts for arm/disarm?

Discussion in 'Prius v Technical Discussion' started by Nervous, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Nervous

Nervous Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2012 Prius v 5 with Advanced Technology Package and a dealer installed alarm.

How do I disable the horn alerts that sound when arming / disarming the dealer installed alarm?

NOTE: I've already disabled the Toyota Smart Key 'buzzer' via the customization options in the navigation system, but the horn still sounds whenever I lock / unlock the doors.

Any suggestions?

Thanks (in advance) for your assistance.

KSElric likes this.
  2. n0na

n0na Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I have a v3 with dealer installed alarm (model RS3200 Plus). The alarm is fully automatic and I don't have to do anything to turn it on or off other than lock/unlock the doors. My alarm doesn't cause any additional beeps, light flashes, etc., other than what you'd hear or see when locking/unlocking the doors on a car that had no alarm. Maybe your v5 is different than my v3, or your alarm may be different. I hear a beep (not from the horn) when I lock the doors and two beeps when I unlock them. Also, the lights flash. According to my owner's manual, I can disable the beeps and light flashes via the navication system. (I haven't tried that and the owner's manual isn't always accurate about such things.) If no one here can help, you may need to call your dealer. My alarm manual was written before the Prius v was announced, so it's not very helpful in describing how the alarm is supposed to work.

3. parnami

parnami Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I have a v5 that works precisely the same as your's. The way I check to see if the system's working is to open the window, lock the car, then reach inside and open the door from the inside. The horn blasts same as it would in cast of a break in. Otherwise, the system is seamless and unobtrusive.

4. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I'm a little confused. I installed the RS3200+ myself. I don't think the sound is coming from a "horn." It sounds more like a beep that you usually get from pushing the lock/unlock buttons. Are you sure it is the Toyota alarm and not an aftermarket one? My car actually has both, but the KARR alarm was not "activated" because I didn't purchase it.

5. Nervous

Nervous Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm pretty sure I have an aftermarket dealer installed alarm in my car because there's a button installed in the driver side foot well area that very obviously isn't OEM.

Also, the noise I hear when locking or unlocking the doors is being made by the horn. It's not a subtle beep... It's an annoying honk.

Any suggestions as to how this 'feature' is disabled?

KSElric likes this.
  6. Nervous

Nervous Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    UPDATE: This issue has been resolved.

My dealership couldn't tell me how to fix this so I decided to try the various procedures outlined on this and other forums. As it turns out, this is the procedure that worked:

Step 1: Unlock door(s) and enter vehicle through driver side front door.
    Step 2: Close all doors.
    Step 3: Turn doom light off.
    Step 4: Press brake pedal, push Start button, release brake pedal, push Start button again. NOTE: This procedure must be completed with 3 seconds.
    Step 5: Press the valet button 3 times slowly... The horn should sound 2 times indicating that the audible arm/disarm alert has been disabled.

Thankfully, I no longer have to hear the horn honk whenever the doors are locked / unlocked. :)

roflwaffle and Aznsurfer3 like this.
  7. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Glad you found the solution! Sorry couldn't be more helpful, couldn't figure out what alarm you had in the first place...

8. samuraisd

samuraisd Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Just FYI on this smart KARR device.
    If your alarm is triggered, you will hear 4 beeps upon entry/unarmed of the car, now keep an eye on the blinking LED. The differet number of blinks can tell you wether the door was triggering the alarm or the trunk or the glass... I am not sure which is which, I'll have to test it to document it.

Then another feature is history. It can remember how many times your alarm was triggered and keep a history of about 160 alarm event. Again, I'm not sure if the history was for per day or per week. Here's how to access the history:
    Same as before:
    1. Power on(1st stage), Power on (2nd stage), then off (no need for brake pedal depress).
    2. Within the next 3 seconds, keep pressing that button on the module for like 15 times.
    3. Then you will see it blink once slowly if your alarm has been triggered, then a very fast blink after. So if you have 2 triggered per day, you will see: blink* pause blink * pause. then, very fast blink after that.