1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer installed DVD Entertainment System

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bandgeek, Apr 28, 2005.

1. bandgeek

bandgeek New Member

Hi Folks,

I am brand new to Priuschat and this is my first attempt at posting. Hope I do it right!! I will be purchasing a new Prius in about two months and have decided on the #6 package with the addition of the dealer installed DVD System with the screens in the front seat headrests. Has anyone out there had this installed in their car? Where do they mount the player itself (dash, overhead or whereever)? Any problems with this system from anyone? Thanks in advance for the help. I am looking forward to my new Prius and the great info from this forum.

Dan Detweiler
    Atlanta, Ga.

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I've seen the headrest DVD players advertized in the service waiting room while I was getting my oil changed. The player is IN the headrest.

Other than that, ask the dealer, as it is their call where to put the player.

3. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Is it going to be dealer installed (DIO) or port installed (PIO)? I'm wondering if this is a new option in the SE Region as a PIO.

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Good point Danny, it is a possible PIO accessory, just checked.

5. lgeisz

lgeisz Junior Member

If its in GA it will probably be POI. The dealers association here is starting to add a lot more of these accessories. I looked on the local web pages the other day and saw a lot of new Prius coming in with the DVD.

6. bandgeek

bandgeek New Member

The dealer told me that they woiuld be installing the DVD player at the dealership. They are also going to put a leather interior in it. Is this unusual? Do they actually put the player in the headrest as well as the screen? I didn't think there was enough room. It will be interesting to see how all this pans out. Has anybody out there had any experience with this setup? Any insights?
    Thanks again in advance.

Dan

7. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

It is a headrest replacement with the DVD player/screen in it. Might make the headrest a bit wider. Check the service waiting area, or ask for a brochure.

8. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    A great drop in system for the Prius is the Vizualogic system for the Highlander in Ivory. It's leather, but matches the ivory interior reasonably well. Have the dvd player mounted in the pocket under the stereo.

Very nice system.

Nate

9. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

He's in the SE region, its all one piece. Either top load or side load.

10. bandgeek

bandgeek New Member

Do you have a website or number where I can get more info on the Vizualogic system? Sounds great and probably much cheaper than the dealer installed unit.

Dan

11. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    http://www.vizualogic.com

The ivory highlander fits if the look of the leather doesn't bother you. If you are getting the rest of the car done in leather to match, then you are all set.

Nate

12. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

I beleive that's exactly what the dealers are installing. If not, darn close.

13. bandgeek

bandgeek New Member

I called a Vizualogic dealer in the area and they wanted $1400 for the single source DVD and $2000 for the dual source. This sounds pretty steep to me. Maybe I am just naive on this subject. Are those reasonable prices? Would I do better just getting the dealer system? Are there other similar systems out there that perform as well for less money? I know you get what you pay for but 2 grand seems like a lot to pay just so my 3 year old can watch his Disney videos!

Dan

14. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Doesn't Evan have screens on the front headrests? Where's the doc?

You can mount the DVD player anywhere you want.

15. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Yes he does. I think he got them at Walmart for what, $400? 2 LCD screens, and one player.

16. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

17. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

BandGeek, did you get this option from the dealer? What did you wind up doing?

I will confess that when I snagged my car as it was still on the boat, I had the opportunity to add / remove options and I told them to add the headrest mouted entertainment system. I had seen one at a dealership, liked it, but did not examine that closely when I had the opportunity.

It added $2K to the price, but my 2 princesses will be able to watch their disney movies, and I was hoping to lure the misses into the backseat with a little "entertainment dvd" (I am so wanting to be the first person to click option #3 on the prius sleeping poll).

If you did get the option, I was hoping to get some info on what the system contains (wired / wireless headphones, # players) quality, manufacturer if known, etc. Photos would be nice too.

18. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigdaddy\";p=\"102113)</div>
    I guess that I haven't monitored this poll lately. As of tonight, 12 of you have beaten me to it. I wonder if there is a special Prius wave for this club? :wave:

19. bandgeek

bandgeek New Member

Hey BidDaddy,

I ended up passing on the DVD system. I just couldn't justify the $2000. I ended up getting a unit from Costco for $180 that mopunts in between the front seats. Works fine and the kids love it.

Good luck with your car and don't forget to have fun!

Dan

20. NickG

NickG New Member