1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer Installed Leather

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Captzag, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Captzag

Captzag New Member

I recently ordered a Prius with Package 6 and was told to expect delivery late August. Yesterday, I got a call from the dealer informing me that they had my color coming in at the end of July but it is arriving from the factory with Package 5. They have offered to install the leather locally and deliver the car a month earlier for the same price as I agreed to when I ordered. Anyone have experience with dealer installed leather? Shared experiences would be greatly appreciated.

2. josemedina

josemedina Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Captzag @ Jul 13 2007, 10:21 AM) [snapback]478072[/snapback]</div>
    I like the Leather from the factor better. I ended up getting both the original one I ordered after taking one 6 month earlier with the same deal they offered you. I now have three and the add on leather does not look as good. The dealer is in Texas so it may be different in your area. Check it out good before you bite.[attachmentid=9673]

Attached Files:

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    if you paid for factory leather, I would stick with factory leather. It comes with a leather wrapped steering wheel, simulated leather door armrests and centre console cover as well as leather-trimmed seats.

Adding "wheelskins" to the steering wheel is different from factory in that it doesn't cover the spokes whereas factory ones do have the spokes covered in leather.

4. kcrocker

kcrocker New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tideland Prius @ Jul 13 2007, 12:05 PM) [snapback]478270[/snapback]</div>
    i got aftermarket leather on my recent purchase. i was able to negotiate the dealer down so that the cost of pkg 5 + leather was less than the cost of pkg 6 (and i would have been waiting for the 6). similar situation, i wanted a 6 and they could get a 5 in much shorter time.

i *love* my leather and from what i saw of the factory leather i personally like it better...it just feels more durable + you can get what color you want. i went with a much darker grey than factory and it looks great imo. everyone that has seen the interior has commented on how good the leather looks.

my dealer had used the installer many times and was very pleased with the results...so i would check with the dealer to see what they think of the installers, because in the end they will be standing behind these guys.

as to the various myths of what you do and do not get: my job included leather in all factory leather locations except the steering wheel. i.e., armrests, center console, trim on each side of rear seats etc. i would just be explicit and have the dealer describe exactly what you are getting for your $$$. fwiw i'm not a leather steering wheel fan...i've had them and they get worn and slippery, but if that is the look you want imo the aftermarket wraps probably make the wheel feel a little fat for my taste.

per other responses, i would *not* pay the factory costs difference. have them pull it down a bit if you can.

if you do this, also remember you are not constrained ot the specific factory colors, so you can get a little creative and distinctive if you want.

5. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ask to see a car with the same leather and installer that would be used on your car. Aftermarket can be cheaper or alot nicer than factory.

6. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< We preferred 'factory' leather for a couple of reasons. The 'port installed' leather included thin pads under the leather (called "Liquicell Comfort") which felt lumpy to us, and the leather-wrapped steering wheel was much neater than Wheelskins as well as the 'leather-match' covers on the arm rests and console cover. We awaited arrival of a Package 6 for these reasons.

It is also possible to have a local leather shop do a custom leather installation. In many areas, this would cost near the same price as 'factory' leather and you could specify color, etc.

7. jyl

jyl New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think it depends on the installer and what you select.

We bought a #5 and got the dealer-installed leather. Picked the exact color and shade we wanted, every surface is covered in leather, we added heated seats too and debated perforated but decided against. Only 8000 miles so far but the leather has been excellent, still looks like new. It is softer than factory leather, but that may depend on the particular leather you select. The steering wheel got a Wheelskin, it is fine.

See some vehicles that have the dealer-installed leather by the same installer. If they look good, then I'd go with the dealer-installed leather.