1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

dealer is not always more expensive...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by CaliforniaPrius, Jan 6, 2013.

1. CaliforniaPrius

CaliforniaPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    at the dealer's, I can say: I just want to do an oil change and nothing else, OK, no problemo, ~$40,

the legendary luscious garage, no, sorry sir, we never do this or that, we only do 'vitals', ok, how much? ~67

byebye, luscious, I'll say at dealer's, I have more cheaper options, and free donuts, for sure

2. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    2 thoughts:

I won't demote anyone or promote anyone ... but since the topic is up and available I will say this.

1 - SOME great aftermarket garages will use some of the best filters along with 5w-30 or 0w-20 synthetic oils ... which really cuts into the profit margin ... while SOME dealerships may use products that are best labeled something like, 'just-good-enough-to-get- by' - bulk oil ... bulk filters. (one of my brothers-in-law is a dealership hybrid tech)

2 - Funny how badly we feel when someone wants to "grind-down" OUR rate (our sale price ... our hourly rate ... our commission ... our tips ... our profit margin, etc) and yet it's nothing but indigence when we have to PAY a decent wage to those who provide our 'stuff'.

See - maybe Luscious could pay minimum wage to their tech's (for example) so that you or I could get a better price, right? But what if YOU or I were the tech ... suddenly OUR wage cut would be 'wrong'. Just something to think about ... we can always move on to another service provider if we think something's a better deal. And we don't even have to damn the place that we didn't choose.

maestro8 and xs650 like this.
  3. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Plus, at $40 in the Silicon Valley the dealer is losing money on the oil change after paying the recently promoted lot boy to oil changer, buying cheap bulk oil, a cheap filter and paying overhead to keep the shop doors open. They will be trying to get that loss back someplace else.

If the only criteria is price, then a person could save even more money by going to an el cheapo oil changer like iffy lube. I would rather use high quality oil and skip an oil change than do that though.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and luscious saves you money by keeping your weight and cholesterol low.:p

PriusCamper likes this.
  5. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oooh cool... Talking about redeeming qualities of stealerships.... They do have some... Usually when it's a product or service in which they have almost no monopoly or consumer fear of going to non-authorized Toyota business. Like if you want to buy a metal replacement key and have it cut by them ~$8, which is cheaper than ebay or the local locksmith.

6. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Do US dealers price match? If I want a cheap main dealer service here I just ring up the local independent and get a price for the service. Then I ring the main dealer up and ask if they'll match it. Often they will, or at least come near and you'll get a Toyota stamp in your book as well as any software updates or TSB's.

PriusCamper likes this.
  7. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The US is one of the few places in the world where the price of something isn't negotiable. And yes there are exceptions, but most US consumers are not at all like the rest of the world where the price of almost everything is adjusted based on the negotiating savvy of the buyer. In america we're most used to just shutting up and opening our wallet.

8. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You sure? Blimey, I thought everything was negotiable in America. Surprisingly we like to haggle over here and a car is one of the main purchases we like to get a good deal on. 15 years ago Daewoo made a big mistake offering a no haggle policy and now a new Romanian brand Dacia are offering the same. I fear it'll be a big mistake.

There are other issues to consider. Like Daewoo in 1995 Dacia is vowing to stick to a no-haggle policy so the price you see is what you pay. While theoretically appealing, historically it has never worked with UK buyers.

Dacia drives real bargain | Motoring | Express.co.uk - Home of the Daily and Sunday Express

I enjoy the fun of negotiating hard on a new car and have often been successful - or I walk away. The same goes for servicing and consumables. If you don't ask you don't get. :)

9. PriusCamper

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yea... I'm sure... And of course when it comes to buying a house or a car, yes there there's definitely a negotiation over price, but when it comes to going to a store for something of a more modest price, Americans don't consider even trying the offer/counter offer routine, unless of course it's a small business or rummage sale kinda thing.

10. CharlesJ

CharlesJ Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    deleted, not needed

11. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    well - I'll have to remember that next time I'm in the UK - getting out of the cab and preparing to pay the tip. G.C. You're not gonna mind if we haggle over it, right? maybe 'Negotiate-hard'?
    ;)
    SGH-I717R ? 2

12. CaliforniaPrius

CaliforniaPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I am talking about Luscious can't beat dealer as regards to the price for maintenance. You are talking about HOW Luscious is going to achieve that. Well, I am no management guy, all I know is that dealer offers a simple oil change and Luscious can't do it, have to charge me more for more services that I don't want. So more expensive and less options from Luscious.

How Luscious is going to beat the price of dealer? Well, decrease the salary of its techs is one way to do it. If Luscious can't do it by other means and keeps its 'vital', I don't know about you, I am going to the dealer.

If you love your neighborhood convenient store for overpriced stuff, sure, but I will go to Walmart.

13. GrumpyCabbie

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My understanding is one haggles BEFORE one purchases a product or uses a service ;) Not sure Toyota would like me to agree a price on a car and then offer a lower price upon collection. Now when I was a cabbie my fares were open to negotiation BEFORE the passenger got in. If it was a quiet night some bargains could have been had - you only make money when the wheels are turning. But if a clever dick tried to offer an unagreed lower price after the event, well, let's say they didn't try it again.

So you're welcome to haggle for a fare before you get in any cab, and good luck to you. But try it after the event and good luck to you again - just for the wrong reasons :whistle:

xs650 likes this.