1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer misrepresented a base model as a touring

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by JTeam, Sep 1, 2011.

1. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I see this all the time. The tip off is the 15in wheels. But, you probably didn't know this before the sale. Some type of price adjustment is needed. But, you may need to go to small claims court to get it. Most likely the dealer will cancel the sale if pressed.

The West Coast Turing cars came with every option in the book. Some parts of the country had it as a $200 option. The price difference is difficult to determine without knowing what options the regions dealers ordered.

2. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Jeez, I would think that with buyer due diligence this wouldn't happen. :confused:
    (Optional illustrations below.)

Well, that's water under the (site of a former Vermont covered) bridge.
    That said...

You should ask, in an assertive way just shy of a demand, that the dealer
    make the base model into a Touring model consistent with the sales contract...

or turn back the clock and make you "whole" in the sense that you have
    everything that you did at the beginning of the transaction; trade in
    vehicle and every single $ that changed hands.

If the trade in has been disposed of, you should should demand an
    amount of money equal to what it would cost you to buy an exact twin
    on the open market: Blue Book private seller price, sales tax as
    applicable, licensing and registration fees.

Meanwhile, you should look up the phone numbers of your State
    Attorney General, Fraud Division or equivalent, and the state car dealer
    licensing agency -- in Maryland it's the MVA. Should things get the least
    bit sticky with the dealer, give the offices above a call instanter to
    advise the situation and discuss what they can do and further actions
    you need to take if you don't get full satisfaction hurry-up-quick.

Further, whichever result is achieved, you should consider filing a
    complaint with your local Better Business Bureau, so that there is a public
    record of the attempted deceptive/deceitful transaction.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. JTeam

JTeam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm quite embarrassed about not doing more due diligence. I was looking to get something done quickly and assumed a Toyota dealership would know what they're selling. I spoke with a manager today and told him i was having a hard time finding the foglight switch. ;-) seriously, i asked him to make it a "touring" package. The General Manager will be calling me tomorrow. Stay tuned

4. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, I'll stay tuned.

However, it would be good to know what state you live in (I have no idea where "West Chester" is). Amend your profile location to include the state. It would also be great to know who the dealer is (Name, Location).

5. dhancock

dhancock 2 Prius Family

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    You are saying that the OP should TRUST this dealer to reliably service the car. I think NOT! :rolleyes:

6. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Well good luck. I hope you and the dealership can arrive at a remedy that is satisfactory for yourself.

This isn't the first thread I've read about misrepresented automobiles. You'd like to think dealerships wouldn't be stooping to such crass tactics to make a profit. But you never know.

It's easy for them to sell the car, then claim that it was just an honest mistake. Maybe it was? Maybe it wasn't?

I wonder if this would spur manufacturers to make more specific badges? In the mists of time, not really that long ago, a lot of automobile badges would declare a specific "grade" such as "Touring" or "Sport". But it seems manufacturers have gone away from specific badging, which can lead to either dishonest manipulation and/or honest mistakes.

7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    And anyone can slap a badge on their car. Want to let everyone know you have a Touring or want people to believe you have a Touring? Buy Toyota's Sport "S" badge. It would be nice if a VIN check would bring up the original options or the data on the sticker. This isn't a Toyota problem. It's an industry problem.

8. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I see this disclaimer on most ads: Purchaser is responsible for verifying all vehicle information. Not that it would hold up against blatant fraud, but it provides some cover if the sales guy thinks leather + NAV = Touring.

Here are some examples of cars listed as Touring. 8 cars out of the first 25 on Autotrader, the Premium ads for the highest list prices. 1/3 are mis-labeled! Two are original owner/private seller, and two are at the same dealer. The error rate increases to over 50% on successive pages (cheaper ads, lower asking prices). Of course, such level of confusion provides even more protection for the mistaken seller, since it happens all the time.

Cars for Sale: 2008 Toyota Prius Touring in OAK BROOK, IL 60523: Hatchback Details - 297224231 - AutoTrader.com
    Cars for Sale: 2008 Toyota Prius Touring in Everett, WA 98203: Hatchback Details - 303853986 - AutoTrader.com
    Cars for Sale: 2009 Toyota Prius Touring in MIAMI, FL 33178: Hatchback Details - 301515358 - AutoTrader.com
    Cars for Sale: 2009 Toyota Prius in Roswell, GA 30076: Hatchback Details - 305399145 - AutoTrader.com
    Cars for Sale: 2008 Toyota Prius in Tracy, CA 95304: Hatchback Details - 301681203 - AutoTrader.com
    Cars for Sale: 2008 Toyota Prius in Roswell, GA 30076: Hatchback Details - 304929971 - AutoTrader.com
    Cars for Sale: 2008 Toyota Prius Touring in Modesto, CA 95356: Hatchback Details - 303420297 - AutoTrader.com
    Cars for Sale: 2009 Toyota Prius Touring in Nash, TX 75569: Hatchback Details - 303986469 - AutoTrader.com

1 person likes this.
  9. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Apparently the GenII Touring model has achieved something like a
    mythical status. Why that would be is hard to understand. Nonetheless,
    unscrupulous sellers seem to picked up on it and are ready, willing and
    able to take advantage of unsuspecting used car buyers.

[​IMG]

Visually, the car is most easily identified by the OEM 7-spoke 16" rims.
    The rear "spoiler" is ~1 " longer than standard, which may addd to
    aerodynamics, but makes a somewhat fragile part more susceptible
    to expensive damage/replacement.

IIRC, some 12% of the GenII Prii were OEM Touring. In addition to the
    relatively small number of the cars, there is also geographical scarcity
    as some of the US Toyota sales regions chose not to stock/sell
    Touring models.

The Touring is not faster than the Std, but due slightly wider tires does
    stop somewhat quicker. The tire size restricts the choice of
    replacements, especially snow tires. The tire size causes a slight MPG
    reduction, some say up to 2%, about 1 MPG.

The Touring suspension allegedly results in less cross-wind lane
    wandering. Owners have reported this wandering can be reduced on the
    Std with the installation of aftermarket rear chassis brace and front
    strut tower brace at ~$400.

FWIW, here are some threads discussing various Standard vs. Touring
    matters:

Standard vs. Touring Differencesl

Are the Differences worth the OEM Cost Difference?

Upgrading the Standard Suspension to Touring

10. amm0bob

amm0bob Permanently Junior...

The last place on earth to get cable, Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    :juggle:next...

11. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure anyone can slap a badge on a vehicle. BUT...that isn't the point. I think specific badging "could" help in these incidences only from the POV that if the vehicles typically leave the factory with specific badges reflecting specific packages or upgrades, THEN it's really hard for a dealership to say they eyeballed the vehicle and made an "honest mistake". Say for instance Touring Packages all came with badges saying "Touring" on them...then it would be hard for a dealership to say they mistakenly didn't notice the vehicle did NOT have the badge...

Conversely it would give consumers something simple to illuminate what pkg or trim level they are actually viewing.

And also, I'm not saying this is a Toyota problem..you are quite right it's an industry problem...

Just musing that perhaps "specific badging" could help in this regard. Fraud could still happen...but it would perhaps lessen the incidents of honest mistakes...since I think a dealership that was viewing a debadged or unmarked vehicle would want to make sure they were selling the vehicle for the MOST they can...

It's not something new. When I was growing up, most vehicles came with some type of badged designation of their respective trim level. I have noticed in recent years a move away from that reality. Now the trim level from the outside is often indistinguishable to the uninitiated.

12. JTeam

JTeam Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I spoke with the dealer (Conicelli Toyota) and they're going to take the car back. Like I said before, I take some blame for not taking my time with due diligence. Yesterday I googled the VIN and was able to determine it's a base model. I'm just wondering why the dealer wouldn't be able to do the same. That's assuming they weren't trying to blatantly misrepresent what model it is.

The good news is that I'm hooked. I really enjoy this car.

13. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I guess the question has to be asked, how bad a deal was the price you paid for the car as a base model. If you were otherwise happy with the car did you consider asking for a small cash adjustment or something like that?

I ask this particularly in the light that many owners seem to be happier with the standard model over the touring edition, due to the slightly better MPG of the former.

14. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hopefully you can find the model you really want. I personaly find the Gen II better as far as the MFD is concerned. If I had to replace my 08, I would sure as hell try for a low miles 09! Not a big fan of Gen III, but you are the one that's gonna drive it!

Good Luck, find your car and be happy!

15. Ct. Ken V

Ct. Ken V Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    all,

If I might pipe in for a moment. Isn't there somewhere on the car (data plate or something?) that states the model number of the Prius? Maybe it is only on the original "Monroney" window sticker (or a duplicate that the a Toyota dealer can look up & print).

On the 2G (2004 -2009) a model 1220 is a totally stripped down "Base" model with NO options. A model 1224 is a standard model Prius with various option pkg's (up to 9 of them). And a model 1226 is a touring model with various option pkg's (4 or 5 of them, I think).

Ken (in Bolton,Ct)

1 person likes this.
  16. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    We can only hope that the Manager will make sure that the used car section has a little more integrity in the future. Knowing used car salesmen i give them a fifty-fifty chance that they re-market the car a as Touring model.

17. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It would be interesting to trace that car through Conicelli's used inventory. Which Conicelli Toyota has the car? What's the VIN?

18. aavega

aavega Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Really interesting. Was the car magnetic grey by chance? I think I am looking at this very vehicle to possibly purchase. If it's the same car it is still listed incorrectly as "touring". Seems surprising to me given The dealers reputation in the area.

How long ago did your deal fall through? Did you find another vehicle? And, sorry if this is inappropriate, but, what deal did you get when you bought it? I don't think I'm going to get the car now. Very disheartening.

19. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Same thing with my used '07 purchase. Represented on dealer's website as Touring, was actually Pkg2, salesman didn't really know jack about Prius models. Overall price diff according to market data was only a few hundred bucks & my sales price was still below that of a Touring. My car had aftermarket wheels & aftermarket fogs on it, kinda masking the "Touring" indicators. My complaint was the 'bait & switch' issue. I made a fuss, they offered free oil changes, I never took them up on it.
    "Touring" just sounds better than it actually is on a Prius. For example a Honda Odyssey "Touring" is a super luxo decked out model compared to the next level down.

- D

20. jpadc

jpadc Type before I think too often

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you have driven them both, you would instantly notice the steering and suspension differences