1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer: "No XM"

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by tennfan, Aug 9, 2008.

1. tennfan

tennfan New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So, this was a mixed week in my life on the waiting list,. I got my allocation notice, which is great, but was told by my salesman that his inventory manager said that it was now "not possible" to have XM installed.

He said there was a major backlog that has resulted in Toyota putting a total hold on installing XM. I had seen a previous post from a couple of months ago about shortages, but wanted to know if anyone else had heard this (or had any thoughts on its level of truthiness).

Also, wanted to find out if the XM that you can order through the PriusChat store is then covered under warranty... I know it's an OEM part, but I'm very new to this stuff.

Thanks!

2. acidburn517

acidburn517 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My dealer told me the same thing. In my original specs, I wanted to have sirius or xm installed. When I finally got the notice about the allocation, my dealer said that they were unable to install the sat radio from the factory/at port but it would be possible to get it installed at the dealership. However, this would mean it would cost 600$ instead of 499$ as indicated on toyota's "Build it yourself" section on their website. I thought that was a bit weird (and a bit of BS). So I declined the sat radio and if I decide I want it, I might just get those portable ones and not have one built in (although that would have been cool)

3. gkh

gkh Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  4. drcpage

drcpage Desires maximum entropy.

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    do you think this has anything to do with the merger? personally, I'm going to wait several months until the new "sirius xm" hardware emerges and then get one for my car.

I think, if you were to get an "old" unit (either xm or sirius) now, you will be limited as to what channels you will get through the new service. my .02.

5. Joekc

Joekc Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I want to echo what GKH said. I ordered XM from Factory Interactive and installed it myself. It came with a DVD which took me through the process step by step. I got prompt, courteous service. Even if you don't want to install it yourself you could find a local installer and still save a lot of money over the dealer install. Did I mention the display has 16 characters? Very nice setup.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. KK6PD

KK6PD _ . _ . / _ _ . _

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello there, would you like to save $250 or more????

Read these 2 excellent articles on XM installation. I used both guides, and they are wonderfully written!!!

#1 http://priuschat.com/forums/attachme...sxminstall.pdf

# 2 https://www.metrotpn.com/documents/PDF%20Files/Prius/Eddie's%20XMRadio%20Install/PriusXMradio3.2.pdf

#3 PriusChat Shop : Toyota XM Satellite Radio Kit [XM] - $265.00

The first is the factory install document, the second shows how to rip into the dash correctly so you can but it all back together so it still looks sweet! The 3rd is where you can buy the XM unit for $265.

It takes a couple of hours or so to do. Plugs into the back of the radio, and was very simple for me to install!!

Have Fun
    73 de Pat KK6PD

7. abqwalt

abqwalt New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I just ordered the SIRIUS sat radio kit from www.tss-radio.com for $146.99 I saw XM receivers on their site too.

8. SoNCSU95

SoNCSU95 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I ordered the XM kit from Etech. It's also available on this site and Factory Interactive. Instructions and plenty of people on this site indicated that you could install it yourself but I went to Circuit City for installation. Less than an hour and $55 later...I have XM and it works beautifully!

I've had my Prius just two weeks now. I was told that XM was only available with package 3 and above with the upgraded JBL radio. Well, the difference between package 2 and package 3 was $2500. Not worth it to me. I figured I'd have one of those portable units installed to work through my FM radio, but thanks to the wonderful internet, I quickly realized that I didn't have to settle!

I manged to get in touch with installer at the Toyota dealership. He offered to "come to me" and install it for $89 bucks. I was tempted since he actually installed these things for Toyota, but it would have been no stings attached (no warranty, no guarantee) being that it was under the table. I opted for Circity City (cheaper!) which I thought offered a pretty good guarantee to make things right or correct it...even it if meant putting everything back like it was originally.

I'm so happy!