1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer oil change question...

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by xliderider, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I always advocate talking to the tech that is doing the work but that's just me. I think you have a strained relationship with your dealer for whatever reason. Maybe its time to make new friends at a different dealer.
    -Paul R. Haller-
    ex master diagnostician Volvo

2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Dredging up this "old" post, because I had the 30k service, along with the E0E recall reflash of the ECUs done today.

Well, I gave them a 5 qt. jug of 0w-20 synthetic motor oil along with a printed note asking them to put 4 quarts of oil in the engine and return the jug with 1 quart in it back to me. I also supplied an oem Toyota oil filter and a magnetic oil drain plug, asking them to install the magnetic oil drain plug and return the oem drain plug to me.

I dropped my wife off to pick up the car (it's her daily driver) and told her to expect a large container of motor oil and a drain plug on the passenger footwell floormat.

The service technician totally blew it. :mad: There was no 5 quart container of oil with 1 quart of unused oil in it, also, there was no oem oil drain plug returned either.

I just checked the oil dipstick and it is way past the overfill mark, so I can only guess that the technician dumped the whole 5 quarts into the crankcase. The oil capacity for an oil and filter change is 4.25 quarts. :mad:

Tomorrow I have to drain some of the overfilled oil out of the crankcase and call the service department and file a complaint. I seriously doubt that I'm going to get any satisfaction from doing so. :rolleyes:

3. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I never go to a dealer unless I have no other recourse.

For 99% of my auto work, I patronize a local mechanic. He owns his own business, and his customers mean everything to him. His prices are extremely reasonable, he covers all of his work, looks out for my best interests. I own 5 vehicles, and he gets all of the work on them. He's been my mechanic for the past 20 years.

Support a local mechanic!

PriusC_Commuter likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've gone down that road, totally understand. Rather than flog a dead horse, and if possible: just started doing your own changes?

5. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
  6. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    xliderider the whole scenario you presented had failure predetermined. To begin with, the folks that change the oil are not the ASE's that do the real work, but rather unlicensed, under paid personnel who's job depends on volume. I think an extended warranty is smart for some folks and it is good practice to document all maintenance, however by law in the US, oil service does not have to be done at the Dealership. Using a magnetic plug is also a good idea, but only if "you" monitor the condition during oil changes. Do you really think the described personnel will even look at it, let alone report it to the customer. I would be surprised if the mag plug was even installed, but if was, the old one probably just remained in the strainer until it was tossed with rest of the crap. Now for the oil, your conainer was probably just put on a shelf and they used the line hooked up to 55 gallon drums, hopefully the one with 0w-20 synthetic. Remember they are set up for speed and volume and squeezing the trigger is a lot faster than measuring out the customers jug. Then you had your Wife pick it up without confirming special instructions were complied with or checking the level prior to signing and taking delivery.

My respectful friendly advise:

First.......if you insist on buying the supplies and monitoring the mag plug, do it yourself.
    Second...if you are going to have then do it, let them supply the consumables, show you the plug and check the level before you leave.
    Three.....if you do not trust the Dealership and won't/can't do it yourself, take it somewhere else.
    Four.......don't make your wife have to deal with the service department. Volumes can be written on how they take advantage of women in this overly sexist environment.

7. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    By supplying your own oil and filter and drain plug, THAT complicates the process for the oil change technician. How much do you really save by supplying your own parts and is it really enough to make it worth your while? I'm surprised dealers don't have an additional service charge when people do that. If you had used their oil (Toyota 0-20w syn), they will set their pump to exactly what's needed, but when you give them a 5 gallon jug, you're asking them to estimate how much to put in, plus follow your specific instructions on a low margin service item.

8. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the input and advise. As frodoz mentioned, it doesn't seem to matter if the "technician" uses their oil or someone elses oil, there's a good chance the oil level will be overfilled. There are many posts here that bear that out.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    +1 ^ free service over, back to my local mech. plus, no hard sell on unnecessary service.(y)

10. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Light the Great Communicator said, "Trust, but verify."

However, 'cepting those here and a few others, most don't verify.

11. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is what I have been doing with all my Toyotas on warranty (basic one, I don't buy extended ones). This is due to the way Toyota treated people with the oil sludge fiasco over 10 years ago. When you have a history of maintenance at a dealer (not that expensive for oil changes only) , they are more receptive to do warranty work. They even said that themselves.

12. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree 100% here.

13. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Define better?

14. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The basic human relations mistake made here by the OP was over-directing the dealer personnel. Providing his own oil, filter and detailed instructions was inferred to mean that he didn't trust them to use the correct parts or perform the job correctly. They responded in what is a very predictable and all too common manner by ignoring the direction and doing what was knowingly not what the OP wanted just to let him know they don't appreciate his kind of customer.

15. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Better means basically optimum.

The upper limit is the level beyond which cavitation or foaming in the oil may occur, while the lower limit is where oil starvation might likely occur.

So, the design optimum must be somewhere in the middle.

16. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Draining some oil off and replacing the oil drain plug bolt wasn't fun, and it sure was messy. Went through several rags and have some nice oil stains on my garage floor. :(

Rude person's, I have the oil level at the 3/4 level between the low and high markings on the dipstick. :)

The removed oil was very dark, and seemed to have suspended material in it. I'm attributing that to the KREX graphite oil additive my dealer uses.

Next oil change, I'm going to put one of these in:

Amazon.com: Fumoto F-103N Engine Oil Drain Valve: Automotive

Then draining off any dealer overfill will be a simple, no tools operation. FML

SCH-I535

Mike500 likes this.
  17. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Here's what I use;

Fram doesn't make it anymore, but you can still buy it on eBay.

Screwing the hole on starts the oil flowing. I can drain the oil into a collection bottle and take it to dispose at Walmart, which takes the bottle and oil together.

18. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the link Rude person's. (y)

The Fumoto valve I linked can have a hose attached to it for neatly draining into a container as well. Also, there is no cover to remove (and lose) and I won't have to provide the special hose attachment to the dealer, if I have them do an oil change. With my luck, and confidence in the dealer's technicians, I'd most likely never get the hose attachment back. :(

SCH-I535

19. Mike500

Mike500 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I put one of the Fram "Sure Drains" on at 3,300 mikes with the first oil change.

The dealer has made three more oil changes.

They just remove and replace the entire plug.

xliderider likes this.
  20. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    or the valve :mad:

xliderider likes this.