1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

dealer or local shop for normal maintenance?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by priusunum, Aug 12, 2007.

1. priusunum

priusunum priusunum

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My 06 Prius will be one year old next month. I've taken it in for service only once, at 6 months, for an oil change. I took it to the same local shop (a franchise of American Car Service) where I used to take my Subaru. They've always done a good job for me. Their place is very clean. They have about half a dozen or so mechanics working at any one time, so it's not a "Mom and Pop" place.

Now that the car will be 12 months old, I'm wondering if I should take it back to the dealer for service or just stay with my convenient, easy to get to, local service place. The service manager says they feel confident they can provide all normal maintenance on my Prius, and that they have technicians who have had some training on hybrids like mine. I should add that I drive very little: right now, after about 11 months, I only have 2620 miles on the odometer! The car's great, and has given me no problems at all. It spends nights in my garage. After looking at the maintenance scheduling booklet in my glove compartment, it looks like all I need is another oil change. I shouldn't need the tire rotation yet, and the local guy can visually inspect the brakes which the maintenance schedule suggests and (almost certainly) tell me they're fine.

Anybody have any thoughts on where I should take it?
    Thanks.

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Local shop should be just fine. Probably save you money over the dealer and as little as you drive there's not likely to be anything they can't do for a long time.

It might be worth your while for the 60k mile service (what is that...3 years?..you'll hit the time before the miles by a long shot) to go to the dealer, but the local shop can change oil and filters as well as anyone.

2200 miles in 11 months...let me know when you're thinking about selling will ya!!