1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

dealer over tightned oil filter cap

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by cobradb, Apr 8, 2012.

1. cobradb

cobradb Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    i think the prius dealer deliberately over tightened the oil filter cap.. ive had my foot against the ratchet and it will not move,, this is the 2nd timed for that

2. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That's one reason I do my own oil changes. Although, given the layout of the Prius underneath, I have to ask.....how in the world did you get your foot to the ratchet to push against it??? Did you pull the cover all the way up and out of the way?

3. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That is one of the reasons that I stopped taking mine to the dealer. They way overtightened the oil filter each time. They must put this on with an air wrench set to a high pressure :(

4. cobradb

cobradb Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    i ran out of time last yr and the dealer changed the oil,, so come 7k later i could not get it off and too it to the dealer about nov '11 and now here i am = cannot get it off
    re; the foot on the ratchet,, i had it raised enough to lay down and get to it..

my freind has a lift in his garage,, my next visit,,IM SEROUSLY AFRAID I WLL BRAKE SOMETHING ITS SO TIGHT.

5. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a perfect example of why I'll be doing the first oil change on the car in a couple of weeks and I'll be using a torque wrench to put it all back together.

6. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I'm sure you are correct, but thought it was worthwhile to remind you to double check the lock tab on the oil filter housing. :mod:

7. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Gotcha. I was just picturing someone with a leg wrapped around the undercover lol. Do you have an air gun? You could use it to knock the filter housing loose if you are careful with it. Otherwise, you definitely need to get it up on a lift to use a long enough breaker bar to help. Best of luck!

8. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    +1, did you check the lock tab thing? :eek:

9. emejay

emejay New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What lock tab thing?? I changed mine just once, and I didn't see any lock tab thing....

10. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    There is a small metal tab that locks the filter cap so it cannot turn counter clockwise. ThevToyota filter wrenche raises the tab, while others will require that you use a small screwdriver to lift the tab out of the groove where it locks the filter cap. Make certain you locate and ensure the lock tab is raised before you torque the filter cap counter clockwise.

11. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    If you look dead on at the oil filter cap, the locking tab is around the 7 o'clock position.

12. gsodonis

gsodonis Recent Hybrid Convert

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Dealers doing oil changes!
    [​IMG]

13. Den49

Den49 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If you haven't yet gotten the cap off, try using a hard rubber mallet or deadblow hammer to deliver a firm strike to the end of your wrench. Keep striking the wrench and eventually the cap will break loose. Striking force is usually safer and more effective than pulling on an overtightened part.

14. cobradb

cobradb Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    took my 2010 to dealer and they got it loose before they took me back,, i saw a long bar they apparently used,, with the mgr there i asked how do you torque the cover,, they said
    "we just tightened it down".... there is clearly a torque spec on the cap and they did not even kn it.
    this is a major high vol dealer and the service is clueless.

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That locking tab is pretty ineffective: I've had it off for 3 DIY oil changes so far and pretty much ignore it. It bumps out of the way as you loosen the cap without you having to lift it or anything.

It sounds like an air head with an air wrench at work ;)

16. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ^+1 Agree with both the locking tab and air head with an air wrench comments :)

17. schorert

schorert Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Do people really use torque wrenches for oil changes?? I've probably done 100 or so in my lifetime, the last 12 with cartridge style filters on the ford and MB. I've never done more than hand tightening.
    If the prius has a locking tab that falls into place when the cap is aligned, it seems you can't really over or under tighten it?

18. wick1ert

wick1ert Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I never paid attention to the locking tab, and apparently totally missed it for all 4 oil changes I've done already. I wonder if mine is still there....

I hand tighten down the housing, and probably with way more than is necessary. I do have to give a good tug and constant pressure on the ratchet to remove it.

19. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Finally did my oil change today. Like everyone else, it was a PITA to take off the oil filter. Finally thought of my dead blow hammer from harboe freight 2-1/2 Lb. Neon Orange Dead Blow Hammer and got to lossen it up. Used a 65/14 oil cap wrench that was lying around to unscrew it. The 65/14 fit perfectly - snug and tight. Had to be on the passenger side and hammer that racheting wrench a couple of times to loosen it up with my right hand and holding the plastic cover with my left hand. BTW, my prius was on a ramp. The locking tab was not locking my oil cap wrench at all in either direction.