1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer Response to low mileage

Discussion in 'Prius v Fuel Economy' started by TexasMustang, Feb 19, 2015.

1. TexasMustang

TexasMustang Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My wifes Prius v got between 38 - 40 mpg when it was new. Over the past year that has gradually decreased to 34/35 mpg. We are approaching the end of the 36k warranty and took it in to have them look at it. Id already checked checked tire pressure and oil level.

The dealer told me that my tires were at 40psi and that my cabin air filer was dirty. They assured me that lowering the tire pressure and a clean CABIN air filter would fix the problem..... REALLY! (engine air filter was new at 30k oil change.)

I asked the service writer how the CABIN air filter was related to the MPG - his only response was the Prius is a very complicated vehicle. I interpreted that to man he has no idea.

Should I take the car to another dealer - any suggestions of a competent service department in DFW (not Orr Toyota).

Or anything else to check myself. Tire pressure is (was - until the dealer lowered it) at 40; Oil is not high; Oil is 0w20 synthetic.

2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yeah, the cabin air filter is super critical to fuel economy! :confused: :cry:

Two guesses: driving route(s) have changed and/or driver has changed driving style (given up on getting good mileage and "just drives"). Both of these occurred to our 2010 Prius which then went from 48-50mpg (me in the city) to 39-41mpg (wife on the hwy).

As always, YMMV!

Blizzard_Persona likes this.
  3. Air_Boss

Air_Boss Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    On the dealer's basis, a fir tree freshener hanging from the rear view mirror would probably up your MPG to 50+...

mtl_sienna likes this.
  4. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Decreasing tire pressure will lower your MPG even more. What the heck was that service mgr talking about....

Check your 12v battery first.

Check tire pressure again and even try a little higher this time if you can handle the rougher ride... I run 44/42 on my persona with the 17's like what your v has... Ride is not too bad....

Report back.

And as state above, driving style is important. When I gave my since traded in 2013 liftback three to my wife for a few month she promptly lowered my lifetime mpg from 48-49 mpg all the way down to 38!!!! She drove it like a car not a hybrid, even though I tried to teach her. Oh well....

5. schmuly

schmuly Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Texas, did you change the tires on the Prius? You stated you have over 30k on the car now.

6. TexasMustang

TexasMustang Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I'll put the tire pressure back up to 40 or even a little higher - have to see what max sidewall is.
    The car did get new tires at around 25k miles - I'd have to look to see what those are.

She does drive it like a 'regular' car, does not drive to maximize mileage. That is why the original 38mpg did not surprise or disappoint.

Check the 12v battery - tell me more about this? In a 'regular' car it won't start with a bad 12v battery - what are the symptoms of a bad 12v battery in a hybrid? Do I check it with a multimeter for voltage like I would in a 'regular' car?

7. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    OK. Here's my next suggestion: on a quiet, early Sunday morning when traffic is very light, go for 45min+ drive around your area and try to drive conservatively. If possible, do not use HVAC to rule out those variables. If you can not achieve EPA rated (or better) or improve on the 34/35mpg, there may be outlying issues.

I'm thinking it's your wife's driving style + cold weather.

8. rdgrimes

rdgrimes Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    Based on the high mileage and location, I'll guess the car spends a lot of time on the freeway. Assuming original EOM tires, and a less than ideal driving style, I don't think the stated MPG is unexpected. Get some new LRR tires, keep them inflated to 40, and understand that freeway driving above 65MPH results in low MPG unless its all downhill.

9. schmuly

schmuly Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Also, where are you filling up with gas? Brand name gas or El-cheapo gas, I also filled up a 5 gal jerry can to the 5 gal line and it took 5.3 gallons, the pump says it was tested 5 months earlier.
    Go figure???? Our mileage hasn't changed too much so I let it go, but still think of it that's almost 6% out.

10. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Speed does play a big role is how much gas is getting sucked down.

Slow down to 55-60 on the highway as reap the benefits.

How fast does your wife normally drive on the highway. 80+ mph is gonna result in mid 30's mpg along with under inflated tires and driving the car hard and not hybrid like....

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it could very well be your new tyres and the weather. are you getting severe cold? the 12 volt battery only boots the computer, but if it is weak or defective, the engine has to run more to top up the hybrid battery which tops up the 12 volt. it can potentially cost you 1-4 mpg.

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Some of the symptoms are mentioned here:

Weird stuff happening? MPGs dropping? Test The Battery

The mentioned test procedure applies only to GenII liftbacks, not your more recent model, so a voltmeter will be necessary.