1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer Said I Need To Replace Front Brakes, But...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pricoaster, Feb 15, 2016.

1. pricoaster

pricoaster Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all,

I have a 2006 Prius, just rolled over 184k miles. Brakes have not yet been replaced since I bought new in August 2006. When I brought my car in this morning for an oil change to the dealer (Tustin Toyota), the advisor said they found the front brakes at 2mm and recommended I change them. I declined for the moment.

I had actually done some research online (various websites and here on the forums) about the brakes over the past few weeks. From my general understanding, the consensus was that the rear brakes should wear down faster, and that it was not unusual to not have to replace the brakes prior to 100k miles. Being closer to 200k, I figured my brakes might be due for a replacement in the near future...but I at least assumed it would be the rear brakes and not the front.

Upon leaving the dealer, I looked back at the past records and here's what they reported for the brakes:

173,450 miles (June 2015)
    Front: 5mm
    Rear: 3mm

178,546 (October 2015)
    Front: 6mm
    Rear: 3mm

184,000 (February 2016)
    Front: 2mm
    Rear 3mm

Does it seem plausible (ignoring the fact that somehow the front brakes gained 1mm back between June and October) that the front brakes would have worn down that much in 4 months over 5k miles? I haven't taken the car on any long trips (besides a few to Vegas, but even then I use "B" mode coming down the Baker Grade, Cajon Pass and into Primm for those of you familiar with the drive) and I don't really do any sudden braking. I'd say I'm a typical driver in normal Southern California traffic.

I'll get a second opinion in the area but wanted to see if you guys had any thoughts. Thanks in advance!

2. 48mpg

48mpg Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    I
    so in the first 2 reports the front brakes gained 1mm
    Id trust them after seeing that
    if you have not done brakes in 10 years just do them..

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i recommend having them show you how they are measuring. it sounds like they are using the guess o meter, which is pretty standard for inspections. but if you want to know how worn all the brakes are, a little more serious investigation is in order.
    i'm not sure the rear drums/shoes on gen 2 ever wear out under normal conditions.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If it's at all possible, take a wheel off, see for yourself. Much more direct than opinion polls on the 'net. The outer pad thickness can be eyeballed easily; for the inner pad you can check the thickness through the opening in the caliper shoulder.

My 2 cents: with the miles on the odometer, the dealership is NOT blowing smoke and: you're LONG overdue for a brake overhaul.

tanglefoot and Patrick Wong like this.
  5. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Take a look at both the inside and outside pads. Uneven rapid wear can be caused by sticking slide pins (they should be lubricated periodically to allow even wear). My 2004 Prius id at 184.5k miles on the original front and rear brakes.

JeffD

6. Munpot42

Munpot42 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Go to a reputable brake shop and get a 2nd opinion, have them check the rears also, and if you need em, you need em and I'd have the work done by a dedicated brake shop.......just my opinion.

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The rear Prius brakes typically will incur very little wear. New rear brake shoes have 4 mm lining thickness. Compare to new front brake pad thickness of 11 mm.

As previously suggested, the best practice would be to remove both front tires and look at the inner and outer pad thickness. The inner pads may wear faster if the slide pins are sticking.

My belief is that the Tustin Toyota and Rancho Santa Margarita Toyota service depts are reasonably honest based upon my personal experience when living in south OC. Hence if you look at the pad thickness yourself, you will log a data point to prove or disprove my experience.

I think the use of an independent brake shop would be OK as long as they know to disconnect the 12V power before starting work and are aware that Techstream is required to bleed the brake system.

8. thomassster

thomassster Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    I changed my front brakes at 150k and it prob could've gone another half a year. Rotors were badly rusted since I parked my car outside for couple years so I changed that as well although it still had a lot of life. in SoCal, depends on whether you brake often in that SoCal traffic. Brakes are rear drums so their measurements are different and typically they last twice as long than the front. your measurements are odd but probably best to get a 2nd opinion if you want to last your brakes to the end. I would just go and get it replaced since you are right about at the avg time many others replace their brakes.

9. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Prius rotors rust due to lack of use. Periodically get up to 25-30 mph, put it in neutral (shuts off regeneration) and lightly use the brakes to clean the rotors. Repeat if you hear brake rubbing noises.

JeffD

10. tanglefoot

tanglefoot Whee!

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I agree to have a look yourself. It may even be possible to get a decent glance through the spokes of the wheel.

I've always had front brakes wear much faster than rear brakes. Maybe the last bit of pad material was the most "crumbly" and went quickly?

11. pricoaster

pricoaster Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all, thanks for the responses. I did bring it by a local shop this morning where I've taken my Prius for other work in the past. It's a reputable spot and I trust them.

They checked out the brakes, rear was more than ok, and they measured the front at about 3mm. I even asked to look for myself and they brought me into the garage. He showed me where the pad was based on my own judgement, it still looked like there's life left. I think I'll go another 5k and likely replace it then.

bisco likes this.
  12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    makes more sense.

13. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Checking brakes is one reason I like to rotate tires myself, even though the tire place will do it for free. About every other rotation I remove the rear drums, and make sure the rear shoes stay self-adjusted, as well. Every once in a while I'll give the star wheel a click.

My '07 has 170K gently driven miles and I've only worn about 50% of the brakes. Lots of highway miles, frequent use of the "B" mode on mountain grades. I don't think I'll ever have to do a brake job on that car, though if I ever need to replace bearings (much more likely), I will service the caliper guides then.

tanglefoot likes this.