1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer says AC is OK but the car never cools down

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by bensfg, Sep 20, 2016.

1. bensfg

bensfg New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Moved to FL last summer and noticed the AC wasn't working as good as it should in Feb. Finally bit the bullet and took it to the dealer last month. They found a leak in the gasket near the low pressure input. Before taking it in, it looked suspect there with a lot of oil and fine dirt stuck to the area. AC seemed to work great right after that. I only drove it back from the dealer, then my wife had it a few days. We went for a short trip on a hot day a week later and the AC could not cool down the interior. Full blast for 25 min.... I could feel cool air coming out of the vents but it was uncomfortably warm in the car. It was humid and 94 outside. I took it back to the dealer and they said there is no problem. However... the AC on full blast all the time and still being uncomfortably warm is a problem for me.... I don't remember any problems like this last year in the FL summer heat.

I was wondering what else could be a problem. Is it stuck on fresh air possibly? When I take it off auto and toggle between fresh and recirculating I can hear and feel no difference.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Try changing the cabin air filter

3. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    With the a/c on max and recirculation, stick at thermometer in a central vent and see what the temperature is after about 5 minutes.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    You could pop the hood while AC's running, take a look at the AC sight glass. In my experience, while the compressor's running (the two fans behind the radiator will also be running) you should be seeing just a few fine bubbles. Then when it stops you'll see a swirl of bubbles, and it'll stay like that till the compressor starts up again. If you're seeing a lot of bubbles while it's running, you likely need a recharge, and maybe further check for leaks.

upload_2016-9-20_13-24-59.png

Attached Files:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  5. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    ECO mode does not run the A/C full blast. In MS, I need to shift out of ECO on Summer afternoons.

Bluegrassman likes this.
  6. bensfg

bensfg New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    OK! So there is a little flapper above the cabin air filter that was always closed. I opened it by hand and when I toggle the fresh / recycle the flapper slowly rotates closed but never opens again.... makes a slight buzzing when I press fresh / recycle again but it does not move. After I opened it by hand and left it that way the AC got nice and cold.

Bluegrassman and Mendel Leisk like this.