1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer says my '07 needs throttle body cleaning - thinking of DIY

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by justlurkin, Jan 18, 2012.

1. navguy12

navguy12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks guys for all these tips.

So to recap, carb cleaner in the throttle body and (see picture) electronic cleaner (says its harmless to most plastics but will remove lubrication) for the MAF sensor.

PS Question: I just ordered a [FONT=verdana,arial,helvetica][SIZE=-1]Toyota Prius Repair and Maintenance Manual: 2004-2008 from Bentley Publishers[/SIZE][/FONT].

Will this book describe what maintenance needs to be done on my new '08 Prius that is not explained in the owners manual (i.e. brake fluid replacement schedules, transmission fluid replacement schedules, etc)?

Signed: anxious to get my hands on my new Prius

Attached Files:

2. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Thanks for all the input CRC prducts are not available in the UK and I would under no circumstances use acetone on plastic body components. I have found a product called Servicesol an electrical contact cleaner and intend trying that.

3. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thank you for pointing that out. Those of us in the industry know not to use acetone on "plastics". I was not aware the Prius MAF was plastic. All of mine to date have been metal. My apologies.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That should be OK as long as it doesn't contain a lubricant. Good luck.

5. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm not familiar with that manual since I use the Toyota repair manual. I hope you'll let us know what you think of the manual after you receive it. Usually Bentley produces the most comprehensive third-party manual (compared to Chilton and Haynes.)

6. navguy12

navguy12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Absolutely, I'll explore it when it arrives and give an executive summary of my impressions. Can one get actual 'paper' copies of the actual Toyota repair manuals?

7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, one can; and if you purchase new manuals via your dealer's parts dept that would cost you ~$400 or so.

8. navguy12

navguy12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ouch. OK, I'll try the Bentley route first....

9. navguy12

navguy12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Further to this line of thought, what is ALLDATAdiy.com like to use?

10. RobertK

RobertK Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've had good luck with the ALLDATAdyi.com product. I subscribe to that service for all three of my cars. I have more experience with my other cars since they are considerably older. The online manuals may not contain everything you might want, but I believe that they are good representations of the factory manuals. I have part of the factory manual for my 1993 Volvo 850, and I found that the ALLDATAdyi product reproduces it faithfully, right down to the translation errors.

As an example, ALLDATAdyi.com doesn't explain how to replace the hatchback opening switch in the 2007 Prius. I don't know if the official Toyota shop manual explains that procedure either. I used the instructions posted on PriusChat.

When I'm doing something new to one of my cars, I check the ALLDATAdyi product first and then check the appropriate Internet car forums for any shortcuts or workarounds that have been discovered in the field.

1 person likes this.
  11. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks Pat for your input, I was wondering whether The MAF sensor was plastic or glass. To BritPrius: I have a Bently manual and look at it for general reading and it is OK. I believe the best source is Prius Chat as information is available from people who have actually done the work. Like Pat.

1 person likes this.
  12. jreed

jreed Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    1 person likes this.
  13. navguy12

navguy12 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is worth the money.

Now, I have also signed up for 5 years ($45) for the online shop manual at alldata. The reason: the Bently book does not detail how to tear the front dash apart and I want that info to cleanly install my scangauge, portable Sirius Sat Radio receiver, portable GPS unit etc as I can't stand wires showing.......

The Bently manual: excellent quality, great photos and any normal/routine maintenance items are in perfect, logical detail.

Example: you wish to change the oil, the section (in logical order) tells you the torque settings, quantities, etc. No need to hunt around for numbers that are applicable to the task at hand.

It let me remove the front fascia of the car (preliminary check for HIDs, insert grille blocker. etc) with little fan-fare.

No info on actual R&R the engine, etc. So if you are the type that wants to pull the engine or the big battery, you still need another document.

However, the first couple of chapters go into such detail with color photos of the car that explain the hybrid system to the max. Things like:
    [​IMG]
    The above photo from my car, front fascia removed, location forward of front port (left/drivers side) wheel well shows a "Thermos" full of hot coolant that keeps it hot for three days to aid in a quick engine warm-up.

Removing my front fascia (for grille blocker mod) was easy with the details in the Bently book:[​IMG]

Cheers

Mike
    [​IMG]