1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer says spiral cable, but all steering buttons work except horn

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Cody83, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Cody83

Cody83 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    as the title says, we took the 2011 prius into the dealer and they told us it was the clockspring (spiral cable)... the symptom is only the horns to not work, not by pressing the steering wheel or the panic button. every thread i've read about the spiral cable says the panic button still triggers the horns which leads me to believe its not the spiral cable (also all of the other steering wheel buttons work just fine and there are no airbag codes being thrown) the dealers mechanic is just going with the most likely cause and not actually diagnosing this specific car or is it actually the 1k fix of a spiral cable to have a horn on the prius?

2. tankyuong

tankyuong Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    II
    Test the horn by putting a live wire directly on it

3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I would go to a dealership with techstream, it has a feature to let you know if the actual driver steeling wheel is no longer working when you press your palm against it.

4. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    And check the fuse for the horn.

Pluggo likes this.
  5. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Right. Check the fuse for yourself. If you're 100% sure it's good, then, connect a meter to the horn wires at the horn and watch for voltage when you press the horn button. After that, you can be certain there is a broken wire.

6. Cody83

Cody83 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you go look at your prius if you have a Gen3, the fuse and relay locations labeled horn on the box map are completely empty... the horn fuse/relay is actually located in a white multi-relay in the fusebox I have tried like hell to get it out but I feel like i'm going to break it everytime I do... I have already tested the two horns via direct wire, nothing is wrong with them.

7. Chrismich

Chrismich New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Spiral cable. My daughters car started with the cruise going out then the radio button and eventually the horn. Changed the spiral cable and all works.