1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer $$$ screwup-What would you do???

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by FJRCRAZED, Apr 24, 2006.

1. FJRCRAZED

FJRCRAZED New Member

My wife just got a call from the account person at our local Toyota dealership. When the sales guy wrote up the sale he forgot about $500.00. The car is paid for (cash) and the title is on its way. I have not seen the paper work so I don't know what numbers are wrong. They however would like their money. I told my wife not to give them a dime yet. As far as I'm concerned she along with the sales guy signed a contract for X amount of money and thats what she paid. What would you do?

2. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FJRCRAZED @ Apr 24 2006, 12:21 PM) [snapback]244322[/snapback]</div>
    Nothing different than you have so far. Sounds like a contract to me. Do you have the car yet? Keep your money in your pocket.

3. FJRCRAZED

FJRCRAZED New Member

I should have mentioned we do have the car. Got it about a week ago :)

4. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FJRCRAZED @ Apr 24 2006, 01:21 PM) [snapback]244322[/snapback]</div>
    IANAL, but my understanding is that you don't legally owe them a dime. If you signed a written contract for a given price, then that's the price.

Now, ethically, I might argue that if you had already orally agreed on a price and then the written price was $500 less than that, you might feel some obligation to cough up a little more money. On the other hand, car salesmen aren't recognized as the most ethical people in the world, and I think many would screw you if you got the chance. There are at least a few posts on this board about people agreeing to a price with the salesman, only to have the price go up by a lot when they actually got the written contract.

If you hadn't agreed on a higher price orally before, then I think that you're completely in the clear, both legally and ethically.

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Are they calling you? Mailing you? How are they asking to be paid?

If the phone rings, let them leave a message. If they mail, throw it away. At this point, let them make a big deal out of it.

If you have the title in your hands, then you own the car. I would think, like Betelgeuse, that if they overcharged you in some way and you went in to get it settled they would stonewall you insisting that you agreed on that price and the transaction was over.

6. FJRCRAZED

FJRCRAZED New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Apr 24 2006, 01:39 PM) [snapback]244341[/snapback]</div>

My thoughts also. Well see what happens over the next few day

7. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    NO WAY should you give them $500 extra. Tell them you forgot to demand $1000 off, so they owe you $500.

Nate

8. samoan_ridah

samoan_ridah New Member

I agree with the other posts that it sounds like legally you don't owe them anything. But like someone else said here, beware of these shady dealerships that will do anything to make an extra buck. I was in the same situation when I purchased a car about 3 years ago. Everything was paid for as stated in the contract then six months later they tell me they didn't "estimate" the DMV fees properly and I was short about $250. I told them that nothing on the contract stated anything was an estimate and that any changes to the contract must have been in written format signed by all parties involved.

Several letters, phone calls and about 6 months later, I end up with a mark on my credit and debt collectors hounding me at home and at work. If I wasn't in the middle of a re-finance I would have gotten a lawyer and sued them but I ended up paying it to get the mark removed.

All I'm saying is be careful and choose your battles wisely. Make sure you have no legal obligation to pay before you decide to ignore it. They have a lot of power to chase down money even if they don't have any claim to it. On the same token, don't just give up any more money easily. Make them work for it (like if you end up paying, make them give you a free detailing coupon and maybe some Parts certificates or something).

9. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samoan_ridah @ Apr 24 2006, 02:01 PM) [snapback]244353[/snapback]</div>
    This is a very good point. Just because you're "right" (even legally) doesn't mean they don't have the power to affect your credit score, etc.

10. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FJRCRAZED @ Apr 24 2006, 10:42 AM) [snapback]244342[/snapback]</div>
    FWIW ...... a couple of points. I hope you won't be using this dealer's service facility if you just forget the matter. While I would agree that car salesmen are probably on the bottom of the integrity totem pole there are a great many good honest folks in the business just like the rest of us..... trying to make a living. It might be worth considering whether or not the $500 will come out of the individual's pay check. The answer to your dilemma cannot be found by reading the replies here, it is your own morale compass that will provide that.
    Enjoy your Prius.
    Gary

11. AlphaTeam

AlphaTeam Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Canuck @ Apr 24 2006, 02:07 PM) [snapback]244360[/snapback]</div>
    I kind of agree. It might come out of the guys pocket...you never know. You did agree to pay a price. If it was my salesman I'd stick him. He was a SOB. Good luck

12. Jim1eye

Jim1eye Shaklee Ind Distributor

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FJRCRAZED @ Apr 24 2006, 01:21 PM) [snapback]244322[/snapback]</div>
    If they forgot to show a $500 charge, and all the paperwork is done, you owe nothing.

If they made a calculation error, meaning you add up everything on the invoice and there is a $500 difference, you owe them $500.

Of course, either way, if you don't pay I hope you have another dealer nearby to service your car, b/c you're gonna get charged an arm and a leg for everything you need done.

13. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ya know, to me this all hinges on whether it was a payment agreed upon or not. If it was just a minor paperwork error and you had agreed to a specific price then I think you own them the $500. If, OTOH, this was an error on the dealers part and they failed to notice that there were dealer add-ons and didn't include that in the price, the that's their mistake and you don't owe a dime.

14. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FJRCRAZED @ Apr 24 2006, 10:21 AM) [snapback]244322[/snapback]</div>
    I'm surprised by the responses from other posters. I'm glad I'm not a neighbor of people who advise, "since we all know they would likely screw you, you should screw them".

By now you should have seen the contract. Can you say what you meant by "he forgot about $500"? Who forgot what? The salesperson or the finance guy? A verbal commitment made to one (sales) but not reported to the other (finance)? Or something the finance guy forgot on his own when running the numbers?

15. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    add up the math yourself and see if what they're saying makes sense. if you don't see it and they can't explain it as something legit, walk.

16. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :eek: Howdy FJRCRAZED

How about posting the name of that Dealer.

It would be well for PA area Prius purchasers or owners to know the name of this Dealer... I'm confident most would want to avoid that organization. If you have a lawyer friend or neighbor, could be an idea to have him/her read the contract and possibly give the Dealer a call. Another idea - report the Dealer to the Toyota organization.

Here on the forum, we have very limited information, but it does sound like a scam on the surface.

17. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

Don't worry about getting your car serviced. The service departments of most dealers are independent businesses who give good service because they get paid for service by you. They could care less about some screwup in the purchase finance department.

18. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(samoan_ridah @ Apr 24 2006, 02:01 PM) [snapback]244353[/snapback]</div>
    If in fact you were legally not obligated to pay the $250 and you could not get the interest rate for your refi because of them putting that on your credit record that would be great since you can prove what damages you suffered because of what they did. A quick phone call to them to let them know that might have made them take it off you credit report for free.

About 3 weeks after I picked up my Prius I went back to the dealer to get my plates and was told that a mistake had been made on my sales receipt. The $100. deposit had not been deducted from the total, so they said they were issuing me a credit on my charge card. I was surprised I missed that at the time of sale when we went over all the paper work.

19. malorn

malorn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(FJRCRAZED @ Apr 24 2006, 12:21 PM) [snapback]244322[/snapback]</div>
    Their mistake, they eat the difference. ;)

20. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

If you talked to the dealer and it was said the price will be $25,000.00, but when the paperwork was done, you were billed $24,500, you paid 24,500 and drove away, they've found their mistake and you should pay them the $500.00.

If you agreed to $25,000 and paid $25,000 and now they are coming back to tell you it should have been 25,500.00, then I'd request a meeting with the finance manager that did your original deal (at least for us, this was a different guy than the salesman), the salesman, and the dealership owner all get together and have everyone at the table tell why this is legit. The dealer should be able to say you agreed to $25,000. The finance manager should be able to tell that he worked out details on 25,000.00 and the owner gets to see where someone is either screwing you or made an error.

After that chat is down to whether or not you pay, it's time to look the dealer owner in the eye and say that you had good information on 25k, you paid 25k, and you know there is easily 500 bucks between msrp and invoice and that you think this is time for the dealership to handle it's own mistakes. I could see a place where they could 'show me very plainly' where the 500 was left off and I'd pay it.

If you're just trying to get by because someone charged you 500 less than you agreed, then you're wrong, pay the man and enjoy a good night sleep. If I go to the movie with my wife and I ask for 2 tickets to the show and the girl says $8.00 please when I know it shoujld be 16... I tell her... No, 2 please... I don't have rights to capitalize off of an honest mistake for so long as she doesn't notice.

be honest, use fair weights..