1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer Selling Recalled/Bulletin Part Master Cylinder

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Jawid, Mar 11, 2022.

1. Jawid

Jawid New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Hey everyone I’ve been lurking on this forum for sometime and seen and reads lots of issues about the brake booster and master cylinder.

She is sitting at 228k at the moment and still running.

I’ve been dealing with this brake booster issue for the past year trying to get it figured out. I changed out the pump once then bought a brand new one from the dealer it was 700$

I also changed out the master cylinder although I bought a used one from eBay and last nice I change the rear brakes and it’s braking smoothly but not how it should be.

I want to just bite the bullet and buy the master cylinder brand new but the issue is. The dealer Near me has it in stock but is selling the same exact part with the bulletin or recall. Are they even allowed to do that ? The updated one is like 400$ more expensive. They are selling a part that Is bound to have issues to people who are trying to fix their car !!!! They won’t honor the price for the same exact part that was fixed.

The issue with my Prius at the moment is when it’s “Ready” I can hear air coming from the brake pedal or somewhere in that area. I’m not losing any brake fluid at all. In fact when the pump turns on the level lowers for a quick moment very slightly and when the pump turns off it goes back to the level before the pump turned on.

I don’t even know what to do at this point. Would love some sort of direction especially with the dealer saying “Here buy our old part that will mess up”

2. JSB_99

JSB_99 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There are plenty of dealers online that sell and ship the parts. Fred Hass Toyota world in Spring Texas is one and it's about $550 but I don't know if it's the updated part or not. There are places other than your local dealer to get it though.

This is the one they show for my 2010.
    https://discountparts.fredhaastoyota.com/oem-parts/toyota-brake-master-cylinder-4705047140?c=Zz1icmFrZXMmcz1oeWRyYXVsaWMtc3lzdGVtJmw9MyZuPVNlYXJjaCBSZXN1bHRzJmE9dG95b3RhJm89cHJpdXMmeT0yMDEwJnQ9YmFzZSZlPTEtOGwtbDQtZWxlY3RyaWMtZ2Fz

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You're not hearing air, you are hearing the hiss of brake fluid passing through an internal leak.

You are not losing any fluid, it is just leaking back to the reservoir. That's why you see the level go back up when the pump turns off. In a normal actuator that also happens, but it takes hours if nobody's using the brakes.

The bulletin or recall you're talking about is probably the Customer Support Program ZJB, which is the one about the internal fluid leak that you've got, and the further details for it in T-SB-0079-18. It isn't a recall.

But what exactly is making you say the dealer is "selling the same exact part"? What part number are you expecting to see, and what is the part number they are selling? Where are you seeing that part number? On their computer? On the box? On the part itself?

It's a little difficult for me to say what part number you should be expecting, because T-SB-0079-18 uses an 04002 repair-kit PNC, and doesn't directly say what master cylinder part number comes in that kit.

You mention you're at 228,000 miles now, but what was the mileage when your current one wore out? How many more miles do you have in mind for the car?

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm not sure if I've got this straight (maybe @ChapmanF can comment?), but my understanding is they didn't change the "accumulator" part number, instead opted to ID revised ones by changing a label orientation. Which seems kinda funky, anyway:

upload_2022-3-12_9-8-15.png

^ From pdf, attached.

Attached Files:

5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I did not read the OP as being about the accumulator at all, but about the master cylinder/booster, which is the separate upper assembly in this picture.

[​IMG]

The D0H recall about the accumulator and the label direction is a completely different thing for a completely different problem.