1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer service center says I need a new HV Battery but I think there might be a different probelm

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BeckyB, Jan 24, 2015.

1. BeckyB

BeckyB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2004 Gen II and my HV battery died in August 2014. The first warning signs were that the red triangle of death lit up as well as all of the other warning lights. The cooling fan for the battery came on and was I drove the display battery would continue to get lower and lower until the car would not move unless I stopped it and restarted it. I ordered and had installed a remanufactured battery with Gen III cells. After installation everything ran good again. The battery display kept a high charge and the icons on the progressive ride screen continued to generate the 50wh cars that showed charging in five minute increments. Well now onto my current issue. Just last week I started the car and all of my warning lights came on again. I looked at the battery display and it was all the way down to 2 bars. As I sat and let the car warm up and began to drive the battery icon regenerated to near full and full. The car is running good and the gas mileage is as normal. I thought that maybe it was a one time thing since the battery regained full charge but after resetting the lights (by disconnecting the neg on the 12V) the same thing happened again. I start the car and the battery display is low, I drive and the display get fully charged and remains that way and the car run good, however the 50wh icons on the progressive screen never generate. I took it to the Toyota service and that put the computer on it and say it is the HV battery. I know how the car react when the HV battery dies and that is not at all how it is acting now. Could the service people be wrong. What else might my problem be? Any help is hugely appreciated

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You probably should go back to whoever sold you the rebuilt battery and put in a warranty claim. It's one of many stories we hear regarding bad rebuilt batteries.....they go on and on. BTW, who did you buy the rebuild from?

3. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Since the dealer did a scan on your car, call them back and get the "DTC's" or trouble codes, and list all of them here. Then it will be more clear what is happening.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, I would hope that your rebuilt battery came with some type of warranty, and is backed by a reputable seller.

If it IS the HV battery failing, you certainly had a right to expect more life from it.

I suppose it "could" be some other problem masking as a once again failing HV battery, but given you just changed it? Plus it is evidently throwing readable codes? I think that is wishful thinking.

Your experience with the "original" failure might indeed be different than your experience as this re-manufactured battery fails, unfortunately I don't think this precludes it meaning that indeed this HV battery is failing.

The often repeated advice is to also establish that your 12 volt battery is good and viable, I'd probably want to do that. But I'd prepare myself to start the process of trying to get a "new" HV battery, through warranty or otherwise.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how long and how many miles on the rebuilt? yes, it could be defective. could it be something else? possibly, how old is your 12 volt?

6. BeckyB

BeckyB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    .QUOTE="BeckyB, post: 2129910, member: 118410"]I have a 2004 Gen II and my HV battery died in August 2014. The first warning signs were that the red triangle of death lit up as well as all of the other warning lights. The cooling fan for the battery came on and was I drove the display battery would continue to get lower and lower until the car would not move unless I stopped it and restarted it. I ordered and had installed a remanufactured battery with Gen III cells. After installation everything ran good again. The battery display kept a high charge and the icons on the progressive ride screen continued to generate the 50wh cars that showed charging in five minute increments. Well now onto my current issue. Just last week I started the car and all of my warning lights came on again. I looked at the battery display and it was all the way down to 2 bars. As I sat and let the car warm up and began to drive the battery icon regenerated to near full and full. The car is running good and the gas mileage is as normal. I thought that maybe it was a one time thing since the battery regained full charge but after resetting the lights (by disconnecting the neg on the 12V) the same thing happened again. I start the car and the battery display is low, I drive and the display get fully charged and remains that way and the car run good, however the 50wh icons on the progressive screen never generate. I took it to the Toyota service and that put the computer on it and say it is the HV battery. I know how the car react when the HV battery dies and that is not at all how it is acting now. Could the service people be wrong. What else might my problem be? Any help is hugely appreciated[/QUOTE]
    I

7. BeckyB

BeckyB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought it from Prius rebuilders on the East Coast. I spoke to them on the phone today and they're going to look into it. The codes are P0A80 and P3016

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    yup, sounds like you got a bad one, not uncommon.

9. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Another prius rebuilder buyer.....well I would say it's definitely the battery with those codes. Hope you can get the warranty coverage. ...

10. BeckyB

BeckyB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    and it's not unusual that the car is reacting different this time with battery failure than it did last time?

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, there are several possibilities, depending on what is going on in the battery. but that's not a guaranty it's the battery. that's why it takes a code reader and a good diagnostician.

12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A diagnostician is hard to find

13. BeckyB

BeckyB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks to everybody for your input. I always just like to get a second opinion. I will let you know if Prius rebuilders honors the warranty

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks becky, all the best!(y)

BeckyB likes this.
  15. Avi's Advanced Automotive

Avi's Advanced Automotive Independent hybrid repair shop

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Are the check engine and other lights on at the moment?

16. BeckyB

BeckyB Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes the lights are on right now

17. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If those are the correct DTC then the traction battery has failed.