1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer service or not?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Castanea, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Castanea

Castanea Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I've finished reading the owner's manual for my new-to-me 2013 Prius C. The book constantly mentions taking the vehicle to the authorized Toyota dealer service department. I'm pretty confident that this is not necessary, but it raises the question: how do you determine whether a non-Toyota shop knows how to work on hybrids? Is there specialty work that has to be done at the dealership?

My old Civic last saw a Honda service department about a dozen years ago (and good riddance). Since then, I took it to a Firestone shop that is one block from where I work and they did excellent and trustworthy work with it. Would it likely be a decent place for my Prius?

[not especially relevant, but I've had the Prius for a bit over a week. I so totally love it! Even stop-and-go commuting is fun; it is calming to sit at traffic lights and enjoy the silence, and to see how I can do for an Eco-Score between here and the next traffic light. I was a little worried about having enough cargo space for Grocery-and-Recycling Day, and everything was fine. With the seats down, you can put a lot of stuff in the back.]

roadrunner likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If I was going to get professional service, I'd be inclined to go with Toyota dealership, since they have the techstream software if there's any issues, are THE choice for warranty work, have the kosher oil filters, and on and on.

Not considering DIY?

3. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sometimes, it depends on ones pockets, and maybe tgr expertise that might be offered.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  4. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Most everybody here will agree that Toyota dealer experiences vary widely. I believe most are tilted toward the negative though.
    I drove 150 miles to get my Prius because of the clueless local dealer sales. The 5K mile check on my Prius was a joke too.
    Other than recalls, I avoid our local dealer service. I would need to use them if I get trouble codes on my Prius that I cannot read with my inexpensive code reader.

5. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Ask the indy shop if their "hybrid tech" is the only person in the shop qualified to change your oil. If the answer is "yes" then don't return as anyone can change oil.

As already mentioned, if it is a warranty issue take it to the dealer and have it fixed on Toyota's dime.

Routine maintenance is oil and filters. Change the air filters yourself. Having the students at the local vo-tech school change the oil could be another option.

Prodigyplace and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. Castanea

Castanea Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for all the suggestions!
    JimN., I was one of those students at the vo-tech a long time ago, so that makes me like the idea of taking it there for oil and filter. I had not thought of that!

Time was when I did a lot of DIY, but in recent years we have lived in an apartment complex. They are strict about the item in the lease about "no auto repairs" in the parking lot, so I limit myself to air filters and suchlike that are quick and don't involve putting the car up on ramps or jackstands (I still have them in our storage unit, in hopes of better days).

I hope that I am done for a long while with the sort of repairs that were taking me to Firestone with my old car - struts, rear wheel bearings, CV boots, exhaust work. The time will eventually come when the Prius C needs such things, but for the moment, I am elated at how simple the maintenance schedule appears to be. Times have changed!

davecook89t likes this.
  7. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Castanea, although the vo-tech school has a Gen 2 Prius I don't know if anyone in the auto shop class worked on a Gen 3. I figured I would give them an opportunity to maybe learn something and they did replace a missing fastener. I know one of the students got an education that day as it was very obvious he was driving a Prius for the first time. How are the kids going to learn anything if they don't have cars to work on?

I'm sure you'll have a better time at the school's shop than you had hanging around Firestone's.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  8. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since they have a Gen 2, they are somewhat familiar with Prius.That is worth something.

9. Matt H

Matt H Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Aqua
    Model:
    N/A
    I'd find an independent that specializes in Toyota hybrids, and pays their techs hourly or salary. Stay away from places that pay flat rate. Document everything in case there's a warranty issue, which must be done at the dealer. Dealer is for warranty repairs.

Independent shops have access to all the same tools as the dealer, and good ones have OE tools, like Techstream.

10. Charliedog

Charliedog Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Maybe it's just my local Toyota dealership, or maybe it's Toyota's policy. When I took our '17 PC in for its 5K service, one adviser wrote up the RO, then the tech reviewed the RO with me, and finally a different adviser closed the RO. At no time did an adviser give me a business card, introduce himself to me, or even make me feel like he appreciated me coming in. I felt like I was on an assembly line-in, out, bye. The dealership was not trying to encourage any loyalty from me. Or, does Toyota think all the people at the dealerships are interchangeable? I plan to try a different Toyota dealership for the 10K service.

11. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Or you could do like me, and change the oil & filter yourself so you are sure it is done correctly. According to the paperwork, they set the tire pressures at a very low 32 after rotating them on my 5K check.
    I try to only use my local dealer for Toyota recalls of if dealer-only parts are needed.

roadrunner likes this.
  12. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If it was me I would continue with Firestone unless it was Hybrid specific. Other than the hybrid system the Prius is built like a lot of other cars on the road. JMO

13. pilotgrrl

pilotgrrl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Sorry, posted in the wrong place!

14. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    My Prius has never seen the inside of a Toyota service department since I drove it home from the dealership. I'm very fortunate to have an experienced competent mechanic that works on all of my cars. Aside from basic maintenance, there really isn't much to do on a Prius. I've read too many stories about unscrupulous dealers, and have experience this on past cars myself. I only bring my vehicle to a dealer for service when I have to, which is essentially never. Good luck! :)

15. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's like me, although I gave them a chance with my free 5K service.The only benefit from that is I had them change the reverse beep.
    I did not even buy my car from the local dealer. Too unknowledgeable and would not even try to match the better price I got elsewhere.

KennyGS likes this.
  16. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Same here. I went online, and made my best deal with a dealer 45 miles away. There are a half dozen other dealers that are closer.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  17. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You are fortunate. I drove 150 miles for mine to buy from a Gen 1 Prius owner. Our family has bought several cars from him over the years. (3 Prius, 1 Corolla & another Corolla from a different salesman at the same dealer)

18. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have no problem with my local Toyota dealer but I am a do it yourselfer and find it inconvenient to make appointments. I hate making appointments.

19. Punitha

Punitha New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    hi
    Anyone have update on prius c 1.5 year 2013 lock receive short circuit.

Recently i had problem not able to unlock my car. Than i use key to unlock and
    drive to toyota service center
    1. they ask me to replace aux battery
    still the problem is not solve .

2. they ask me to change lock receiver and smart key ecu.

Did anyone have suggestion or update on this problem

20. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    That's frustrating. Know anyone with a garage with slab, or even just a level driveway? Outskirt of some parking lot? There's gotta be a way.

I know it's not Reverse Osmosis, but what the heck is that, just curious. Something Order I assume?