1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer stuck a plastic Logo tag on the back of my car ...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by priusmaybe, May 3, 2007.

1. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It is about 2 in x 4 in plastic tag, instead of the peel off name labels.

God why do they do this??

Any Ideas?

I should take it to them and make them take it off, since they did not ask.

2. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusmaybe @ May 3 2007, 08:47 PM) [snapback]435138[/snapback]</div>
    Goo Gone, baby, Goo Gone.

I don't know how it's stuck on your car, but for any kind of double-sided tape or glue, take some Goo Gone, dribble it down behind the sticker/tag/emblem and let it sit for about 5 minutes. Peel off, and use more Goo Gone as necessary to take off any residue. It shouldn't hurt your paint. I've used it on cars in the past.

Hope this helps.

And yes, it is annoying that the dealership does this--I don't like the license plate frames, either.

3. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ May 3 2007, 08:50 PM) [snapback]435141[/snapback]</div>

I bought a plain chrome license plate frame for my last car to replace the ugly logo one.

4. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusmaybe @ May 3 2007, 04:47 PM) [snapback]435138[/snapback]</div>
    They do it for free advertising, and because most people will just accept it.

That's exactly what I did (although it was a stick-on vinyl tag on mine). I went to their detailing shop and asked them to take it off. It was gone in 10 minutes with absolutely no damage to the paint. Good thing too, because I was absolutely livid.

Rather than trying to do it yourself and possibly damaging things, just ask them to take it off - any reputable dealer will do exactly that, and at no charge.

However I chalk it up to "lesson learned". I'll be putting a "no decals and/or nameplates" clause in all future car purchase agreements.

5. danoday

danoday Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Every time I've purchased a car, I've specifically told them I would refuse delivery if there was anything on the car identifying the dealership. A couple, I even had the sales person sign a waiver saying that if they delivered the car with a logo plastered on it, I was not liable to accept the car nor pay for it (and would get my deposit back). In all that time, only one car was dealer-prepped with a sticker on it, and the sales person saw it and had it removed before I actually saw the car.

6. priussoris

priussoris New Member

Same here when I came to pick it up salesman was just sticking their logo on I told him I would keep it if they agreed to pay me 100.00 per month for the advertisement they PROMPTLY took it off and the license plate holder with their name on it

So just take it back have them remove if any damage it's on them

7. freke70

freke70 Salesman

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    why don't we just take all the badging off the car. toyota gets free advertising for the prius every time you drive your car down the road. they should have designed a cardboard box hybrid that's completely unidentifiable as a hybrid to onlookers. Oh...but I guess that would increase the coefficient of drag and ruin our wonderful fuel economy.

one thing that I do absolutely hate on a car is the stupid pinstripe. you'll get charged anywhere from 50 to 200 bucks for a pinstripe, and they stripe ALL the cars...so you have no choice but to pay for it, unless you have to wait for your car to arrive, in which case you can specify that it not get a pinstripe put on.

I was lucky enough to get my car without a stupid stripe. It detracts from the beauty of the Prius.

btw, I'm just being devil's advocate here. you guys do what you want.

8. johnny51981

johnny51981 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(livelychick @ May 3 2007, 05:50 PM) [snapback]435141[/snapback]</div>
    I LOVE Goo Gone! It doesn't take any of the finish off, and I like that it smells of orange.

9. Orf

Orf New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As I was about to write the cheque to pay for my Prius I told the salesman that I charge $100/month in advance for advertising and I would make out the cheque for the quoted price less $100. The salesman had the sticker off the car so quick he did not have time to argue.

10. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Orf @ May 4 2007, 02:38 AM) [snapback]435324[/snapback]</div>

It was not on the car for the several hours while I purchased it. They snuck it on there when they took it to wash it.

I will have to give them credit. They washed it, and brought it to me while they finished it up, so the salesman could go over any questions. Then a manager came out and went over the car with the detailer. They were actuallly looking for anything wrong.

It seemed legit, but I guess it could have been a show. The car was only on the lot a few weeks.

11. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Wow, I cannot believe dealers would do such a thing as placing stickers or placards on a painted surface of the new cars they are selling. That is so "Tacky". I have never seen that on the west coast, but I would probably blow a gasket. They all do use the liscense frames, but most look OK. I will usually replace them with plain frames. BTW, can you believe the price of liscense plate frames these days? I think $3 or $4 is reasonable, but lately, they all seem to be approaching $10 or more, with some offered in the $50 range. Give me a break.

12. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ May 4 2007, 02:48 AM) [snapback]435326[/snapback]</div>

It is tacky, and I hope it does not take the paint off.

I bought a nice heavy chrome frame at Pep Boys for about $5.00 in 2003. I am going to use it on this car it looks fine.

It is hard to find a plain one that is not plastic or that does not have chains or snakes on it

13. livelychick

livelychick Missin' My Prius

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(freke70 @ May 4 2007, 12:15 AM) [snapback]435282[/snapback]</div>
    I hate that stripe, too. Mine didn't have it, either, and neither will my new one. They can take it off for you, too. I wish they'd put on door molding instead...

14. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Goo Gone may work, but 3M has a product specifically for safely removing adhesives from cars. Get it at any auto parts stores. I've used the product. It works well and won't damage paint.

Harry

15. Ichabod

Ichabod Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(freke70 @ May 4 2007, 12:15 AM) [snapback]435282[/snapback]</div>
    I don't think I've ever seen a Prius w/ a pinstripe... and I see LOTS of Prii where I live. Maybe it's a regional thing.

I'm glad that you will allow us to do what we want though... I haven't been doing that because I was worried you'd be mad. What a relief! :D

The badging is a part of life with cars. Most people don't care enough to take it off, so the dealers get free ad space. I did pull off the "TOYOTA" badge from the back of my Prius as well, but left "PRIUS" and the HSD tag because I felt that the TOYOTA one was too geometric-looking for my nice aerodynamic car. I would love to replace the "Prius" badge with one that says "PIOUS," and I do have some casting resin, so maybe I'll get around to it. I like the look of the stupid little HSD emblems, so those will stay.

16. opus17

opus17 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(freke70 @ May 3 2007, 11:15 PM) [snapback]435282[/snapback]</div>
    Years ago, I was buying a Honda, and the sales guy told me they put pinstripes on all the cars (and charged $200). I told them if couldn't buy a car without it, I would buy elsewhere. And I did. The dealer changed the policy soon afterward.

17. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Use dental floss (Glide) and cut off the emblem after it sits in the sun for awhile or heat it up with a hair dryer and then use the Goo Gone for any residue.

18. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    When purchasing my Prius, I explicitly told them there was not to be any stickers or any 'permanent' dealer advertising on the car. He said they use plateframes, the clear plastic kind with dealer info at the top/bottom. I was fine with that. I kept them both on for a couple days, then removed the rear frame (they didn't even wipe the plate clean before installing it... :huh: ) but kept the front, only to protect the plate itself.
    Hey, at least it serves a purpose for ME, besides free advertising for them. ;)

19. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusmaybe @ May 3 2007, 11:51 PM) [snapback]435328[/snapback]</div>
    That reminds me of that movie that came out last year "Snakes on a Frame" or some such title. Please fill us in, the the dealer take off the logo without hurting the paint? If there was any damage at all, I would file a police report against the dealer for vandalism, and take them to court.

Also, you could get a big billboard for your business or family and post it on the side of thier showroom building.

20. bobc

bobc New Member

When wiping the 3M or Goo Gone off, avoid scratching the paint by using either a quality microfiber towel (Don't buy them at Walmart!) or a 100% cotton T-shirt (No nylon.) Most of the scratching occurs not from taking the label off but from wiping up afterwards.

Cheers,