1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer stuck a plastic Logo tag on the back of my car ...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by priusmaybe, May 3, 2007.

1. moredes15

moredes15 Junior Member

This'll stoke ya. Most pinstriping is done by private contractors at the unloading dock. A good striper can do a car in 2 minutes. Cost?? I do not know what a roll of striping tape costs now, but when it was all the rage in the '80's, a roll of 3M striping tape would cost ~$8 and last 6-9 cars depending on size. The charge was $15 per panel (door, fender, quarter panel) at the repair shop I worked at.

You can (and should) take them off with a heat gun and some glue/goo remover or alcohol (depending on how old the tape is). If you leave it on, depending on your climate, a few years from now (3 in the HOT climates) that tape will start peeling and deteriorating. Depending on color, it may fade. And it's *hell* to remove when it's old.

And who buys license plate frames to replace the dealer frame?? Why not just leave the license naked?

To remove the dealer nameplate, use a length of fishing line to string-saw the plate off, and mop up with alcohol or goo remover.

2. pinball

pinball New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Over here they tend to put the sticker on the inside of the hatch glass.....over the 'wiring' that de-mists the hatch. The risk is that by removing the sticker you could/might break the wiring circuit and therefore the de-mist function of the hatch window....That's enough to put me off removing it :angry:

3. AndreJ

AndreJ New Member

I live in boise idaho and i purchased my car used. I did not get a license play holder of any sort BUT i did get a metalic / silver sticker with there name on it, i kind of like it and see it on alot of toyota's that drive around my town, but i REALY need remove and beautify my Prius. Anyone get those stickers? If i peel it off will it leave residue?

4. Old Marine

Old Marine Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Park any vehicle in a field with some cows. They'll lick off anything that is not bolted on. I know.

5. AnOldHouse

AnOldHouse Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(priusmaybe @ May 3 2007, 07:47 PM) [snapback]435138[/snapback]</div>
    On both Prius that I've bought as well as previous cars, that there are to be no dealership stickers or emblems put on the car. I tell them it's okay to give my license plate frames. So far, they've complied, and if they ever stuck one on my car, they'd be liable to remove it without damaging the vehicle.

6. PacMan

PacMan New Member

Bought a 2005 prius yesterday, and since it was used I couldnt do anything about the fact it had a sticker for "Dub Richardson Toyota" on the back. I was planning on removing the whole thing, but I realized something as I was peeling off the "n"...

Dub
    Richardson
    Toyota

Can become:

Richards
    Toyota

(Richards is my last name). This is my SECOND Mod on my prius! I Love this Mod, Cracks me up!!! I havent cleaned up the goo yet, but here's how it came off:

[attachmentid=11031]

Attached Files:

7. Vebev

Vebev Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I don't think my dealer had time to add a sticker, thank goodness. But they did add the plate frames and a plastic fake-plate with the dealer info. I returned both and my sales guy actually thanked me for returning them. I guess most people just throw them away if they don't keep them.

I look around at cars and see a lot of dealer stickers and dealer plate frames. I can see people not bothering to remove the stickers, being such a pain to do, but why keep the dealer plate frame when they have to change the plate? I guess some people like their dealer.

8. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ May 3 2007, 11:48 PM) [snapback]435326[/snapback]</div>
    I donated $20 and got two license plate frames that have the message on them that I approve of. :D

http://www.farmsanctuary.org/

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Old Marine @ May 12 2007, 08:56 PM) [snapback]440867[/snapback]</div>
    ROFLMAO!! :lol:

9. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vebev @ Aug 30 2007, 03:34 PM) [snapback]504490[/snapback]</div>
    I've always politely asked to have the dealer's emblem (sticker, decal, badge, whatever) left off of my car. Twenty years ago and 12 years ago I had dealers who were upset and said "Don't you like us?" I told each dealer I liked him enough to spend a lot of money buying a car from him, but I wouldn't advertise the business without compensation. Each was pig-headed (Honda and Pontiac), but understood well enough that the car was about to be mine and the money was about to be theirs. The emblems came off.

On my Prius, I specified the "no decal" provision before it was delivered. When I first saw it, the salesman saw the decal and (before I even said "boo") told me it would be removed in 10 minutes. It was.

I told him I would keep the plate holders on so long as I felt the service was of a high quality. The first time I have a less than great experience, I'll take of the plate holders and hand-deliver them to my salesman. If I like the dealer, I'll gladly support him. If I don't, I'll advertise something else.

10. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    When I bought my Honda, in 1988, I demanded that any dealer markings be left off. The dealer complied. When I bought my Prius, I forgot to ask. But this was when Priuses were in high demand, and the dealer got me mine in two months, after promising three (a month early!) and I was really thinking it would take 5. I was feeling very good towards the dealer. And now that I've moved half way across the country, the out-of-state dealer plaque is rather exotic.

When my ZAP Xebra was on the dealer's lot, it had the ZAP web site painted on! I demanded that that be removed, and I had them replace it with the word "ELECTRIC," for which I paid. I didn't object to the ZAP logo, which I quite like. I requested that there be no dealer logo, but I carry a stack of printed sheets with info about the car, including the dealer's web site, and I give one to everyone who asks about the car. I also have a sheet of paper where it shows through the back window when parked.

11. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I leave my rear tag frame on, for the free advertising to the dealer :p

12. PacMan

PacMan New Member

Does anyone know if rubbing alcahol is safe for automotive paint? That's what I used (after reading it here) to get the sticky off last night, but I started having second thoughts after I was done. It looks ok, but I want to make sure there will be no long term problems.

I read on a forum once that a nickel would take melted shoe rubber off motorcycle exhaust pipes, which it did, however it left some small scratches. That experience along with a touch of OCD IMHO is making me question my actions yesterday.

13. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PacMan @ Aug 31 2007, 11:18 AM) [snapback]504932[/snapback]</div>
    You shouldn't have any problems from using rubbing alcohol, though you should wash the area well right after using it. The alcohol should not even get to the paint, which itself is protected by the clear coat on the car. The Goo Gone suggested earlier does a great job, but as it is a petroleum product (naphtha or petroleum distillates), it could be more aggressive on the clear coat. Even so, Goo Gone is miscible with water, and it can easily be washed off with soap and water.

When I think of what chemicals I've used on my car to remove tar, bugs and unintended paint . . . Whew!

14. San_Carlos_Jeff

San_Carlos_Jeff Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(freke70 @ May 3 2007, 09:15 PM) [snapback]435282[/snapback]</div>
    That's just what I did. Except for the Toyota logos, those aren't just glued on they have plastic pins. I take off as much badging as possible on all my cars I like the "clean" look.

15. clintd555

clintd555 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PacMan @ Aug 30 2007, 02:18 PM) [snapback]504433[/snapback]</div>
    How much did you pay for your 2005 Prius if you don't mind sharing?

16. rudiger

rudiger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NoMoShocks @ May 4 2007, 02:48 AM) [snapback]435326[/snapback]</div>
    While I agree that in the vast majority of cases, free dealer advertising in the form of a rear sticker is unwanted, there are actually a few cases where it's prefered.

I'm talking about decades ago (during the sixties' musclecar era) when specific dealerships would be known for their sponsorship of race cars and have dealer-built 'specials' that are now quite valued.

Royal Pontiac in Detroit, Yenko Chevrolet near Pittsburgh, Tasca Ford in Providence, Nickey Chevrolet and Mr. Norm's Grand-Spaulding Dodge in Chicago are a few of the famous musclecar dealerships where a dealer sticker on the rear of a period musclecar can now increase the value of the vehicle.

17. Sarge

Sarge Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I was sure to tell my dealer that NO stickers would go on my car, which they said is not a problem since they didn't use stickers but plate frames. I can live with that, easy to remove. I kept both on for a short while, then removed the rear one. I keep the front since I kept my old plates from my last car and the front plate is rather mangled from rocks, etc... and at least it hides it, somewhat.

Interestingly, when I was at my dealer (Don Valley North in Markham, Ontario) last time for an oil change, I noticed they now use adhesive badges, styled after the HSD logo. It definitely caught my eye and I did a double-take the first time I saw it in the showroom. Unfortunately I don't have a picture, but I'll be sure to snap one next time I am there... it was quite clever.

18. Proco

Proco Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(PacMan @ Aug 30 2007, 03:18 PM) [snapback]504433[/snapback]</div>
    You should have saved a little piece from the "Dub" and made an apostrophe so you could be grammatically correct. :D

19. PacMan

PacMan New Member

Clint -

I almost hate to say, as I got such a good deal buying from an individual that was having a hard time selling it. Price was 19.5k it's an 05 pkg6 with 14,500 miles. It looks brand new - they took such good care of it that they actually had floor mats on top of the factory floor mats, and they used towels on the seats. It also still has the new car smell, just as much as the new one I put an offer in on the day before. (talked the dealer down 1,100 off msrp on a pkg 3)

I think the car was meant for me, if that's possible, it was just one of those situations that makes you wonder sometimes. The part I really question is here in this post, the fact that I could make my last name out of the dealer sticker on the back and have it look like it is supposed to be that way still just blows my mind.

I've learned not to question fate, just smile when it hands you a good thing... :D

20. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's is very clever.
    If you ad an apostrophy please remember it goes after the S.