1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer told me neeeded things done for maint schedule not due for 30k miles yet!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 06prius#3, Jan 26, 2011.

1. 06prius#3

06prius#3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I just got home from dealership that did my service recall of the inverter coolant pump. they told me I needed to replace my plugs at 90k miles misquoting "per the service schedule" plus get the inverter pump flushed seperatey for 85 dollars. They should have had TO CHANGE THE FLUID WHILE REPLACING THAT PUMP ANY, RIGHT? THEY ALSO have to remove the belt and reinstall it to change the MECHANINCAL ENGINE WATER PUMP TOO, WHICH THEY SAID NEEDED CHANGED. THEY SAID I needed a serpentine belt, and wanted to charge labor for it SEPERATELY. I pointed out the belt would come on and off to do the water pump anyway. Then they said they already discounted the labor after I objected! I dont trust that now since they told me service schedules required stuff it doesnt yet! That got me suspiciuos to check the sevice schedule. Where I found the both the serpentine belt and the spark plug change arent due until 120,00 miles! Not at 90k miles. The book also says just to inspect the inverter coolant fluid, not required to flush it, it is supposed to be maint free. Further they said my car had fluid spash on the hood liner, but I recently went through a ft of water in a narrow puddle and that could have just been water splashed up, not coolant. Im going to have another dealer check it out now, because I think they tried to rip me off. They were charging 380 dollars for the 90k service, 95 for the serp belt, 85 to flush inverter, and 288.69 for the mech pump which I found online for 41$. Total billl of 848.69 to a disabled veteran and single Dad! I think they were just trying to recoup recall costs which arent my fault and toyota manufacturing should reimburse the dealership for recalls anyway, not the customer via bills for stuff that isnt even required yet!

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's reasonable to change the serpentine belt at 90K miles. If you look at the old you will see that the outside cover is pretty glazed while the inside will show plenty of cracks (once you remove the belt.)

The inverter coolant fluid is definitely not maint free. The first change is required at 100K miles, but this should have been done for you at no charge when the inverter coolant pump was replaced under the LSC.

You can look at the engine coolant pump yourself, for signs of pinkish or whitish stains on the pump body or pulley which would indicate the pump bearing is starting to leak. Also if the engine coolant level in the reservoir is low that is a sign of a potential leak somewhere.

There's no doubt that your dealer's service dept is practicing predatory tactics. Good for you that you could figure that out.

1 person likes this.
  3. derkraut

derkraut Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I think Patrick is being especially nice to that dealer. "predatory" is the under statment of the year for such a dealership. I would definitely take my business elsewhere.

1 person likes this.
  4. 06prius#3

06prius#3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, I just called another dealership and made sure they arent owned by the same chain. Told them all this plus a new discovery, the inverter is now making a prolonged buzzing sound when turning the car off. Much longer than the usual one it makes. I am wondering now if they suggested a flush because of potentially doing the repair wrong or potentially the tech got debris in the inverter? Was told to call back tommorrow and schedule with them to check it out no charge. If the other dealer did it wrong they will do the recall again and then bill toyota of America for it and tell them not to reimburse the other dealer. I was about to give up on Toyota dealers. I have serious life threatening conditions and veterans day this year another totally different dealership told me they would pay off my current loan and allow me to trade a 62 plymouth my sons restored for a used car. My sons just lost Mom this year to cancer and if I died I wanted them to have a paid off car to drive. The other dealer said they would do this and then simply embarrassed me and my 17 year old by having us sit there a couple hours only to have them tell us they wouldnt help us after all and tehn gave me some tea party bs about veterans shouldnt expect help? Yet their salespeople with some sick humor had strung me along they would help us. Now I have this car owing 12k on it and get a recall notice and the dealer i went to acted like they did me a favor doing a recall of defective parts and then tried to rip me off. I hopethe dealer tommorrow does a better job or I am going to give up on toyota dealers. I am a great fan of the Hybrid toyotas, this is my third Prius had a gen1 AND NOW THIS IS MY SECOND GEN2.IF THIS IS HOW THEIR DEALERS TREAT A SINGLE DAD AND DISABLED VETERAN, OR ANYONE ELSE, THEN I MIGHT JUST GO TRADE IN FOR A USED HONDA CIVIC HYBRID EVEN THOUGH I REALLY LIKE THE BEST PRIUS HYBRID MPG BETTER. HOPEFULLY TOMMORROWS DEALER PROVES THEY ARE PART OF THE USA TEAM. TOMMORROW WILL TELL. I HOPE TO BE ON HERE PRAISING THEM, BECAUSE THE OTHER TWO DEALERS i WENT TO ARE NOT EVER GETTING MY BUSINESS AGAIN, I'D RATHER PAY ANOTHER SHOP IF I NEED SERVICE.

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. The coolant heat recovery system pump (which is part of the engine coolant system) is the one that makes the buzzing noise when you first start the Prius and when you turn it off. This is unrelated to the inverter or the inverter coolant system.

2. Not sure that a Honda hybrid is the way to go. If you want a Honda you would probably be better off with a non-hybrid vehicle. In any event, good luck tomorrow.

1 person likes this.
  6. 06prius#3

06prius#3 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i am very sorry for this sad experience for you sir. and thank you for your service to our country. if there is anything we can do to help you, please let us know. there are many good people here that are ready and willing. patrick, of course, is one of the best. if you are just here to vent, we are here to listen and you have every right to do so after being treated like that. all my respect and all the best to you and your sons.

8. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Name the dealers, please, so that we know which one to use and which ones to avoid.

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Please refrain from using ALL CAPS. It's considering "screaming" and is hard to read. Also, please break up your posts in paragraphs/sections. It helps w/readability.

As for jumping to a HCH, you might be interested to look at the service histories of the Honda hybrids vs. Toyota hybrids at Advanced Vehicle Testing Activity - Hybrid Electric Vehicles.