1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer used wrong oil!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by jhinsc, Nov 17, 2012.

1. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Had my 2010 Prius in for it's appointment for the 40k oil change service, plus alignment for the new tires. When scheduling the appointment, I specifically asked for the 40k service, minus the tire rotation knowing that Costco will have installed them the day before. As I paid for the service, I didn't check the paperwork closely as I was in a hurry, but didn't have reason to be concerned. While driving to work, I noted the sticker in the upper left windshield was different than normal and it didn't state what weight oil was used. By the time I arrived at the office I had forgotten about it. Last night I remembered to check the receipt and found 5w20 dino oil was used versus 0w20 synthetic. I was pissed! :mad: I am always short on time and dreaded the thought of going back to the dealer to fix a stupid mistake. I showed up at the service desk this morning (Sat), without an appointment, and prepared to battle my way to a new oil change. The service writer immediately brought the manager over, who at first explained that he's 99% sure the proper oil was used because the tech's go by what's on the oil cap. I replied "that may be so but the documentation states otherwise". He offered without prompting to have the oil drained and refilled with 0w20. I did have to ask for a new filter to make sure no 5w20 remained and he agreed.

Lessoned learned - check the receipt! Don't go by what they tell you, go with what is documented because it's the only record used for warranty purposes.

2. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I had a similar experience on my second dealer service. I was getting ready to leave and read the service report and noticed the 5W30. The Service Advisor let me watch the tech drain and refill with 0W20.

3. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I previously given top ratings on their service survey's but noticed this time around their WIFI wasn't working, no paper towels/TP in the restroom, and then this snafu. I know people make honest mistakes, but it seems they're slipping all around. Since I'll be anticipating the survey for this service appointment, any bets on whether they'll send one?:rolleyes:

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm glad they fixed it for you.
    I always do self-service....even though I was offered "free" first service on my last two vehicles. Sometimes in life "free" is juuuuuuuuust a little bit out of my price range if you know what I mean...;)
    Doing it myself means that I KNOW what kind of oil goes into the engine, I KNOW that the filter isn't over-torqued, or not changed, I KNOW that the drain plug isn't over or under torqued, and I KNOW that the technician also checked the other filers and fluids instead of just checking a block on a form.

I did the 15k service on my CFO's ride yesterday.
    It took an hour and fifteen minutes more or less.....but I KNOW everything was done right, otherwise??? I KNOW who to blame. :D

GSW likes this.
  5. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I am convinced they only send out the survey if they know you had a good experience :)

6. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Agree. It seems you only get the survey when you're least expecting it. Is it just for the pat on the back? Certainly not used as a tool to improve - that would make too much sense.