1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer wants $12 per quart for ATF WS

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Blackbird, Jun 15, 2009.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Huge member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ...And a little over $3 per washer for the two crush washers.
    Yikes!

Is there a recommended online source to order these things?

Thanks,

Moti

PS, it's Toyota of Northridge, for those who are interested.

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    My dealer (New Haven, CT) only charges $25 for a gallon of Type WS ATF ($95 for the whole job).

JeffD

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    No point in ordering WS ATF from a remote source due to the freight cost. The current price from dealer parts depts in my area is $8 per US quart.

4. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I don't know about that at $12 per quart. Let's say you pay 8% state/local sales tax and $3/washer versus $8/quart, $2/washer (assuming same mark up), and no sales tax. You are looking at $58.32 versus $36. Unless the freight is over $22, you would be better off ordering from out of state. At $25/gallon the freight would have to be over $29 for it not to payout.

It's best not to pay outrageous markups as it only encourages even worse in the future. Nip 'em in the bud.

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Huge member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Found another local dealer that has the fluid at just under $8 a qt. and the washers for $2 (Keyes van nuys).

Moti

6. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Friday I will press to test at the dealer. I usually say I want a case price/military discount. Time to pimp the service manager for a price on a dump and fill.:D

7. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Holy crap! There are even some dealers that are charging +$85 quart for the "special" synthetic 75W-85 gear oil now required to be used in FJ Cruisers and 4Runners.

I guess with a slow economy, any place to make a buck, they take advantage of

Scout around for different dealerships

8. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Maybe arrive in full uniform and suggest that the service manager will be dumped and filled at those prices

That worked for me sometimes ....

9. ETP

ETP 2021 Prime(Limit),Highlander HYB Plat,B52-D,G,F,H

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Boy no military discount/what a bummer.

Ok the good news is WS is $7.70 a quart/does not say synthetic on the bottle folks. Bad news is that they want $120 to dump and fill. They first quoted me $70 then changed their mind when I showed up. They said they had to use a computer. OK, I would have believed that if I was not a member of this forum. Then they said they have never did a fluid change on a prius and it never needs one. Now this is a lie for sure because they have been in business for 20 years. I mentioned the forum and they said I should call Toyota. Not!

OK, so I will have my local mechanic do it at 12K or I will do it myself.

10. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Oh bulls***, where do they come up with that? They put the Prius up on the lift, remove the fill plug, remove the drain plug, wait until it finishes draining.

Put drain plug back on. Refill with new WS until it dribbles out the fill hole. Put fill plug back in. Lower car, drive to front, you pay bill, drive off

I did it 5 times while I had my Prius, it only got easier each time.