1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer wants $4500 for brake repair.... WHAT?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by HeinzCatSoup, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Mr.Electric

Mr.Electric Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There is a nitrogen filled pressure accumulator on many cars. It saves brake pressure for later use. The nitrogen gets compressed like a spring when pressure is stored. The nitrogen leaked out and filled the brake fluid with bubbles on some 2010's.

I think you could get it fixed free if you complain loud enough. It is a known issue. You not in the production range they earmarked for the recall. They probably installed the bad part on your car at the factory on a date not know to be subject to the defective part use in assembly. There is a way to tell if you have the new or old part in your car by looking at the orientation of the sticker on the accumulator.

Turn off signatures in Tapatalk Tapatalk

2. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    I wouldn't give in just yet. Go around the dealer and get hold of Toyota. Who knows, the recall may have to extend past the original recall build dates.

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    See that little light?

It's called the "change dealer" light.
    I would immediately get a second opinion from a independent shop.

$4500 for brakes is beyond stupid.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona

can you provide a link or more details on this recall? i had a 2010 Prius (build date april 2009) that rear ended a car.

5. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Try your VIN here and see if anything comes up.
    Toyota Safety Recall and Car Service Information

jdcollins5 likes this.
  6. HeinzCatSoup

HeinzCatSoup Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    General consensus at the dealer seems to be that these parts should not break with 90,000 miles, but they can't do anything about it and to bring it up with Toyota.

Spent an hour talking to Toyota HQ, they passed me around to 3 people only to tell me that its not covered under the recall, and that they'll have the "case manager" call me monday or tuesday.

In the meantime I went to pick up my car from Toyota and drove it home (i live 2 miles away). Anyone know the cost of the Brake Booster & Master Cylinder? I actually have a dealer license and can get 15% off with no tax of dealer parts, but I'm wondering if theres anywhere I can get it cheaper than Toyota.

7. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Unfortunately this is a complex braking system and only Toyota is going to have these parts.

8. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The case manager will most likely grant a one time exception and give you the parts for free and you will have to pay labor.

Be patient. That is why they assigned a case manager who will contact you and make arrangements to comp this repair after inspection

9. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  10. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Don't file a case until you hear from Toyota. They will most likely compensate your parts. Wait to hear from them before you file a complaint.

11. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    He needs to file with NHTSA regardless what Toyota does. This is a major safety issue and he or someone else could have been killed. Feds need to know about it and it should be fixed in all 2010 Prius ASAP.

12. HeinzCatSoup

HeinzCatSoup Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I almost hit 4 cars trying to go from the very left lane to safely exit with no brakes. luckily it wasn't heavy traffic and everyone got out of the way safely.

13. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    That sounds scarey. Especially given the traffic in SoCal. How did you get stopped?

14. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I'm not saying don't file. Just file after Toyota replaces your brakes which will happen if it is assigned to the field. Once you file Toyota will not give you brakes and lawyer up.

15. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I lost my brake master cylinder earlier this year (see my thread, "The $3000 Brake Job") at 50K miles. I drove it a few days with all the alarms screaming until I could get it into a dealership for diagnosis.

After about two months' effort, I got half the cost back from Toyota. The dealer service manager did a lot to get that amount. I was an original owner, and I had quite a bit of hassle proving that the car had been well-maintained. I've lost almost all of the faith I had in Toyota products - I certainly don't suggest it to others any more as I once did. I reported mine to the NTHSA.

My experience suggests that it will be some time for Toyota to come up with some reimbursement for your repairs, and it probably won't be the whole amount if you're lucky enough to get anything.

16. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you have not called Toyota Customer Relations to open a file with them- do that first. This is absolutely unwarranted for a call only three years old with less than 100K miles on it. I do not care how the car was driven, how do you wear out a brake booster, etc. My '05 had 190K miles on it when I sold it and was still on the original brakes with out a single issue.

Merkey and JMD like this.
  17. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, but you have no clue how NHTSA works and should not give advices when you don't know what you are talking about.

Public NHTSA database doesn't include any personal information. The name, VIN, etc is for internal NHTSA use.

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've had a similar experience in past, with Honda. There seems to be an abysmal shift in the corporate culture: nobody gives a damn about keeping customers. Guess it's "get my golden handshake and get out" that rules.

19. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't blame you. It's one thing to have tons of cosmetic issues (like the squeaks, noises, rattles, cracks I'm having in mine) and another thing to have a life threatening failure. It's disappointing to hear about these problems, even if they are rare, especially since gen 2 didn't have them. Another thing that keeps me concerned are the battery issues in taxi service overseas. I'm driving almost 100% city and thus similar to taxis in Europe.

Prius is my 3rd Toyota. The previous ones were not as trouble free like as I would like. So far, my Prius is a reliable car, but if battery, inverter, or brakes fail on it, my opinion will change 180 degrees.

20. jdk2

jdk2 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Mine has the same squeaks, rattles and creaks that my 2010 Prius had. It's as if I it had the same interior transplanted into the PIP. I do a lot of city driving and hope the Li-on battery is a step up in that department, but only time will tell.

Years ago I had a '76 Celica GT 5-spd manual that was absolutely free of any defects or problems after 60k miles. Since then I haven't had one car that hasn't had issues of some sort. Nothing dangerous or life threatening, but issues none the less. I guess we're supposed to accept that as fact and move along.