1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer wants $4500 for brake repair.... WHAT?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by HeinzCatSoup, Nov 1, 2013.

1. HeinzCatSoup

HeinzCatSoup Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So a few thoughts while I continue my uphill battle of david vs goliath(toyota):

The recall for the brake booster assembly are the 2010 Prius that are manufactured march 2010 and lower. A quick look into my car I found out that mine was manufactured ONE MONTH later at April 2010, basically that's why my car is not pulling up in the recall.

After talking to lots of people (including Avi from Avi's Advanced Auto who was EXTREMELY helpful and just an all around cool guy, big shoutout to him) i'm fairly certain mine should have been included in the recall. All known cases of the recall are the exact same as my story, only difference is the year they have the car manufactured. Ofcourse anybody I talk to from Toyota just looks up my VIN number and lets me know that if it doesn't show up on the system, nothing is wrong with my car and it must be my fault.

Problem is, I don't know how to get Toyota's attention. A case manager was supposed to call me today, but ofcourse they didn't. What does it take to get their attention? Did I have to get involved in a fatal crash first? because I was fairly close to it. I will be calling the Customer Relations again tomorrow and probably get tossed around 3 more people before getting promised another phone call.

If anyone has any other contact information..emails..anything at all, I'd be more grateful or direct them my way.

2. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Toyota would certainly be remiss to be so absolute in their belief that one of these faulty components could not slip though the cracks. I could see the probabilities deminishing with a longer production run than one month. All I can say is, "Stick with it". You do have a case.

JMD likes this.
  3. JMD

JMD 2012 Prius 4 Solar Roof

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree patience is a virtue. When you speak to the case manager be very polite and humble.

4. HeinzCatSoup

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Toyota called me today, and it was the same rep that I spoke to in the first place. Apparently he did forward it to the case manager, and the case manager told him that because the recall was already investigated for the brake boosters, and my car is not included in recall and they cannot do anything for me. The case manager didn't even take the time to talk to me. I asked to speak to the case manager that told him this, and he said that there is nothing the case manager can help.

I refuse to believe that a $4500 is considered wear and tear on a car that is 3 years old. If it is, then everyone needs to stop buying the Prius right now because they are doing it wrong.

What are my options now? I need contacts from higher-ups. or should I just keep calling.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you gotten an estimate from an indy mechanic?

6. HeinzCatSoup

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

The part itself with my dealer discount is $1970.55 - Brake Booster Assembly w/ Master Brake Cylinder Part# 47050-47150 but I'm not sure what else they could include if it cost $4500 after labor, maybe more unnecessary parts they trying to sleaze me into. I could also go the USED route, I see some on eBay that looks to be in good condition from pulled cars.

7. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    More than one of us has suggested talking to Avi (in southern CA). He may be able to install a salvaged part from a good source at a reasonable price.

JeffD

JMD likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just a thought in case toyota doesn't come thru. it's a definite bummer not to have a clear path of arbitration or something. maybe avi could help you on the used parts.

9. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    What did Avi quote you?

10. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    When this is said and done wonder if you will sell the car and buy a Honda .

Wonder if the car being purchased used had any bearing with the case manager ?

Another option is to go back to the Dealer Service manager and have him plead you case to Toyota. At this point it is a long shot.

11. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I'm coming the other direction: after many years with Honda products, switched to Toyota due the Civic Hybrid debacle. Sadly, it doesn't seem any of the major players are standing behind their products.

JMD likes this.
  12. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Right you are. Let's face it it is just luck. I always look at my car as an accident waiting to happen.

13. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Stop buying their products.
    That's what I did ("my" Prius is a company car.)

No.
    Toyota hasn't changed much in the last 20 years, BUT(!!!) I'm not giving them any more of MY money.
    Interestingly enough...your problem isn't what drove me away from the brand. My thing was the dealers and not the OEM.....but it sounds like your dealer is missing out on a chance to at least give you a break on the repair costs, and retain you as a brand customer. I'm wondering what the real profit margin is on a $4500 brake repair.
    I refuse to believe that this is a $4500 problem, and this typr of a problem would make me a 20-year non-customer.

Interestingly enough.....I recently (last 3-4 years) broke my vow and shopped for a G3 and a Corolla.
    The dealers drove us away.

Good Luck with your problem!
    Shop around. There has to be some dealership that would settle for a $3000 brake job.

HeinzCatSoup likes this.
  14. HeinzCatSoup

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Sigh, when this is all done with, I might just sell the car. All the money saved on gas pretty much thrown out the window. Thanks for all the moral support guys.

I talked to Avi, very great guy, gave me SO much information on the spot even though I wasn't even his paying customer yet, i'm already sold he's the guy to go to. Unfortunately he says its such a vital component that if I buy a used/salvaged part and have him install it, as a shop owner it would put him at a liability, which I completely understand. He did tell me though that if it was his car, he definitely would probably try to find a used part first.

I'm not afraid to roll up my sleeves and change it myself. I found some used ones pulled from salvaged cars for around $500-600 on eBay. That may be the cheapest option since Toyota doesn't seem to want to stand up for their product.

JMD likes this.
  15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that is a shocking price.:eek: i would ask another dealer for a quote, just to see what parts and labor are.

16. tach18k

tach18k Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Since you are in LA, I would contact channel 2/9 news people. they have a consumer advocate for issues like yours. Nothing more that Toyota wants is being on TV, they tend to react when they are in the consumers face on TV.
    Also there is this:

ABC7 Broadcast Center
    Attn: Ric Romero
    500 Circle Seven Drive
    Glendale, CA 91201
    (818) 863-7777

HeinzCatSoup and JMD like this.
  17. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would go to the Media. There are news organizations out there that thrive on this kind of story. It's called the wrath of negative PR and gets great attention from manufacturers with tainted history's of brake and throttle malfunctions. It's completely ludacris to think that they have to warranty a catalytic converter for 5-7 years but do not have to do the same for a major brake component that could result in personal injury.

HeinzCatSoup and JMD like this.
  18. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    KUSI in San Diego has a feature called It Ain't Right. The reporter follows people with cameras rolling and stands up for the working man against big business and Gov. He is very instrumental in righting the wrong.

HeinzCatSoup likes this.
  19. BZzap!

BZzap! Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There ya go!

20. JMD

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You may recall the Lexus that the driver called 911 that his brakes failed and that launched the recall and global media attention against Toyota that plummeted new car sales. Started in San Diego local news brought it to light.

In the reality guy needs to fix his car hook or crook let us know how it works out