1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer wants $4500 for brake repair.... WHAT?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by HeinzCatSoup, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Dark_matter_doesn't

Dark_matter_doesn't Prius Tinkerer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Also, does your ABS work? Try braking hard from about 20 MPH on a gravel road/shoulder - you should feel the brake pedal pulse and hear a simultaneous stuttering noise.

2. HeinzCatSoup

HeinzCatSoup Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

Ended up finding a cheaper part on eBay for $250.. local pickup too so it was convenient for me :D

3. HeinzCatSoup

HeinzCatSoup Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II

I haven't tried this yet.. not sure if I want to break the car right.. maybe in the weekend when I can take it apart again. lol

4. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you DIY?
    If so, please post some instructions and I'll save them in case I have problems too.

5. HonoluluKay

HonoluluKay New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The ABS system went out on my 2010 Prius III and the dealer wants $4,500 to fix it. I don't have $4,500. At all. Servco owns ALL of the Toyota dealership in the entire state (all islands). They are the only game in town. It's not like I can have my car towed to another place (or even another state).

My car has 80,000 miles on it and the warranty stops at 75,000 miles. I don't know what I am going to do. I may have to sell the car. Does anyone have some advice for me? I've always kept the car in perfect service. This is nuts! Help.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    you don't need abs to drive the car, do you?

7. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    There must be some independent shops who service Toyotas for less on Oahu.

The parts shouldn't need to cost more than mainland, really. The first thing you need is diagnosis: What really needs to be replaced? Toyota has software called Techstream which you use with a laptop to diagnose problems. You can find Techstream and the necessary cable on eBay for about $20. Make sure you get a copy that supports your version of Windows. This should let you figure out what's wrong with the brake system.