1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer wants $6000 to replace hybrid battery...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by aaronlife, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Aaron: If you should decide there is merit to my suggestion to DIY using modules from a 3G wrecked vehicle, here is a current example of a 3G battery that is about to become available for sale in California. That would be a perfect donor, only two years old, less than 60K miles. If you look around you can probably find similar examples in your locale:
    2013 Prius rear ended-how to proceed? | PriusChat

Regarding the purchase of used Saabs, if their depreciation hit was so large that you could buy them for $1-2K and only spend a few hundred $s per year on maintenance, that vehicle cost of ownership is going to be hard to beat. I test drove a 99 Turbo a few decades ago and it was fun, but I just couldn't get used to the idea of a car whose transmission was actually in front of the engine and whose ignition switch was on the floor - so I never bought one...

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if you bought it in florida, it's 8/100, and there won't be a goodwill warranty.

3. aaronlife

aaronlife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Jeff,

I replaced the brake actuator/pump because there was a leak in the accumulator, so the pump was running almost constantly to keep the brakes pressure up. It would run for a very long time after I shut off the car, and a couple times when I first got in the car and started backing up I had no brakes...

The pads had at most 1/3 their life left, according to the guys who put my tires on in December, and the Dealer said it was less than that when I was having the pump replaced. I was getting vibrations through the pedal when I pressed on the brakes, so I figured the rotors were a little warped. For the cost of pads, and turning the rotors, I figured why not start fresh, no need to get the last bit out of them, and I am very glad I got the new pads, the brakes are noticeably better and no more vibe in the brake pedal. I can't say why at 110,000 these things were worn out. The rear brakes are original and fine.

Patrick, yeah, lots of people don't like the Saab ignition on the floor ;) My old 900 had that, quirky, fun, but not a good idea because dust can get in the keyhole, then I went with 9000 cars with ignition on the steering column like normal cars, they were good cars, and yes, cheap to own. I became leary of the GM Saabs, 94 and up, they weren't the same, better in some regards, but more complicated to work on in some ways, and expensive to fix, and eventually they got rid of the hatchbacks, so I jumped ship. You made a wise choice.

thanks for the link to the struts!

the 3g idea definitely has merit, it's a great idea, it's just whether I have what it takes to follow through on that process, and if I want to keep the car for many more years, I'm still thinking that out... I'm leaning more and more towards the easy $1500 installed Green Tec battery with 18 month warranty. For that price, if it died while I was in MA or Florida in the next 18 months, I'd get it replaced under warranty, through nearby centers, or in 19 months, if it died, at less than $100 per month for the battery, I wouldn't feel too bad. I've probably been saving $100 per month in gas the last 6 months vs a regular car, so it's a small risk. Not the best solution, but one I can live with.

Bisco, Goodwill was refused by Toyota once, as you said. I will try one more time to see if there is some miracle, but I am not expecting anything. If I get something from them, I'll post a new thread on miracles.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    C'mon: not everyone has miracle brake pads ;)

5. aaronlife

aaronlife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    UPDATE: Picked up the car. They said it looks like 2 cells are bad. The actual estimate is $5310 to replace the hybrid battery and battery computer assembly, so he rounded up to $6K when he was on the phone the other day.

Service manager was nice guy, said, interesting, that Toyota plans to start replacing individual cells in batteries in the future, but they haven't released the tech/equipment/etc. yet and he doesn't know when it's coming. Said when I brought the car in the code for the brake actuator was on, but they cleared the code and it never returned, so at this point I don't know if the hybrid failure triggered the brake code.

I drove the care home about 25 miles. It had been sitting for several days and was on one bar when I started it. I could not get it up past 2 bars, even with lots and lots of downhill coasting, until I switched off the AC and then it jumped up to full green bars in very little time.

The hybrid battery cooling fan came on as soon as I turned on the car and stayed on the entire trip. At 77F, it seemed cooler to drive with the windows open than run the AC, so I did that and let the battery charge.

I called 1-800-GO-TOYOTA and spoke to a nice customer service guy who wants to help me out with some assistance, but isn't sure what he will be able to do, said to give him 1-2 business days. We will see if he does better than going through the dealer for assistance.

I'll keep y'all posted.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    So it's still the old hybrid battery in there? I'm not clear.

7. aaronlife

aaronlife Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes, I did not replace the battery, I drove it home. I am trying to get some goodwill assistance from Toyota, and if they won't provide it, I'll go for something rebuilt I think. Though a new battery would be preferable, assuming it is new, and Toyota isn't selling rebuilt batteries.

It occurs to me that at $5310, they probably are not giving me the core charge credit, so that would bring it down slightly under $4000, which is high, but since it includes a new computer assembly, perhaps the numbers add up.

Most dealers, it seems, credit you for the old battery, so you are out the door around $3000, sometimes less, sometimes a little more.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    guy tole me the same thing about replacing cells way back in '04. it's coming as fast as fcv's.:cool:

yes, a toyota battery is all new, don't let anyone tell you different unless they can prove it, they're just trying to promote rebuilt. if you go the new route, shop around and get core deposit details.

thanks for the update!

9. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The new battery doesn't need a new computer. Dealers like to include it because the more parts they sell, the more they make. IF you are going to replace the computer then insist on getting the old one back.

If they aren't itemizing the core charge then do some research to discover what it really is. They don't "forget". If they aren't up front about it either they are hoping you don't know about it so they can keep it or offer you less. If they aren't going to give you the full credit then you want the old battery too.

Toyota's new battery will have a 1 year/unlimited miles warranty as do all their replacement parts.

I would avoid any shop that is trying to upsell me on parts and plays games with the core charge.