1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer wants the EVSE - charger

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by ReyFig, May 17, 2023.

1. ReyFig

ReyFig New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I trade my Prius prime and the dealer value my car without the EVSE. Two weeks later they asked me for the charger and give it away for free otherwise they with hold my second FOB. They want to enforce the trade in affidavit but not sure under what clause become non of them talks about the charging circuit. Any advice?

2. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Active Member

I guess you need the fob but not the charger?

#2 Mr.Vanvandenburg, May 17, 2023
    Last edited: May 17, 2023
  3. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The EVSE can be included in the accessories, like floor mats.

Since toyota is telling some customers they won't get a second fob until the fall, maybe you can hold onto the EVSE until your fob is ready.

4. ReyFig

ReyFig New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    They want to cash the fob price to buy another EVSE to sell the car. The charger is handy for my new EV SUV.

5. Washingtonian

Washingtonian Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    It is not very clear what you are saying here. Looks like you traded in your 2018 Prime and probably left the EVSE plugged in in your garage. The dealer wasn't clever enough at the time to realize that he needed it and he wants to sell your old Prime so now he wants you to give it to him. Since it wasn't included on the sales contract, you feel no obligation to give it to him. I have no problem with that. But mentioning a "fob", I am assuming that you traded for a 2022 Prime that has a shortage of fobs and Toyota has promised to send them later. Of course, the new Prime would come with a new EVSE. Did you also buy an EV SUV that didn't come with and can use the Toyota EVSE? Or do you just feel that it is a good idea to have an extra one on hand, for example when travelling?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the fob is worth much more than an evse, don't do it!

7. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It is also a Level 1 EVSE, which might not be as handy for a BEV.

8. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Active Member

Interesting on different takes, I would bring the charger back to them right away. Because it’s not like I don’t have it, which would be different. When I sold my 2020 Prime to Carvana, they barely looked at it when they took it. I think the contract doesn’t have to specify components, what comes standard for the car to function as intended should be there. Carvana does ask if two keys present. The car functions as intended with one, so it has to be asked.

9. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    BINGO.
    Not giving them that part is just being.....mmmmm......not nice.
    You should give it up.
    You might want/need something from them some day.

10. Wolfman33

Wolfman33 Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I just bought a pre-owned prime, and the previous owner kept the EVSE. I'm really irritated about that. If they bought a new prime, then they should get an EVSE with their new prime. If they didn't, then what do they need it for? But because the dealer that sold me the prime wasn't experienced in PHEV cars, they didn't even realize that it should have been there. So, I, got messed over.
    Because I traded in a PIP, I knew to look for the EVSE on the newer car. Since it wasn't there, I told the dealer that I would hold the EVSE from my PIP. So now 1) the next buyer of my old PIP will be without. 2) I'm using a 10 year old EVSE instead of a 1 year old EVSE. If I keep this car as long as i kept my old one, I don't think an EVSE will hold up for 20 years. I'm going to end up having to buy one sooner or later.

I asked the dealer to try to contact the previous owner and get it if they could. I'm not holding out hope, but it would be nice if it was just overlooked and the previous owner gave it up.

It's only my opinion, but for what it's worth, treat it like a matched set, it belongs with the car.

jerrymildred and Sarge like this.
  11. Wolfman33

Wolfman33 Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    By the way, I checked your location to see if you had mine. LOL ;)

bisco likes this.
  12. Pdog808

Pdog808 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Kept my EVSE charger when my first Prime was totaled. Actually took everything that could be removed. Forgot the jack under the rear seat though, dang.

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Seems to me when you sell a car you should be including all the bits that came with it, ie:

fobs
    manuals
    jack and tools (if it came with them...)
    temp spare (if it came with one...)
    charging cable (if applicable)
    hatch area cover
    floor mats

Maybe that starts to fall apart with the small stuff, say wheel covers gone missing, stuff like that. But you should be upfront about missing stuff, and it should be disclosed in the sales agreement.

jerrymildred likes this.
  14. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The EVSE is clearly a vital part of the car and is not an extra cost item. If it came with the car new for free, it should stay with the car next time it's sold or else allow for the missing EVSE in the sale price. I think a new Toyota EVSE still goes for over $900.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Fortunately, they’re pretty cheap on eBay, which is where people who keep them, sell them

16. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It's actually optional now with Tesla.

jerrymildred likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    May I say that dealers never bother to make sure everything is included with a used car, do I want to get down in the gutter with them?

18. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah I heard about that. It's slightly like selling a gasser and making the customer pay extra for the ability to open the fuel door. 90% of an EV's advantage is home charging. I guess they want you to buy their Wall Charger, which I hear is very good.

19. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    They give both as an option on the build site.
    I think they might be taking the path like some personal electronics that don't provide a charger or cable, because the person might not need one. So why waste resources. It's possible the buyer isn't a first time EV owner at this point, and already has an EVSE installed. Even if they didn't have a Tesla previously, a J1772 adapter for their current EVSE is much cheaper than the Tesla specific EVSE's.

jerrymildred likes this.