1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer wants to charge me $950 to investigate triangle of death

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by buddhajer, Mar 28, 2023.

1. buddhajer

buddhajer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The dreaded triangle of death (red triangle with an exclamation point) came on. No warning. Doesn't go into 'ready mode'. I own a 2006 Prius with 206,000 miles. The hybrid battery was replaced by dealer at 110,000 miles. I have also recently replaced my starter battery. The dealer said that they tried to figure out the problem, but couldn't. Sent me this service request.

"Recommended service
    $950.00
    Diagnostic: Will need to remove HV battery cover and inspect battery blocks to determine root cause of malfunction (possible corrosion) $950 goes towards repair
    Diagnostics when referred to in an automotive sense is the various testing done on the automobile to ensure safety and proper engine functioning. These tests are done with different sensors, computers and machines to establish a “cause and effect” relationship between what is working and what is not working with the automobile. The forms of diagnostics can range from brakes, to air conditioning, to suspension and many more."

We are going to get a new car soon, but it will probably be in a few months. I think we could get $3000 from a private party even as is.

Is this estimate too high? Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm leaning towards paying it so I can have an car while I shop for another one. We also have the money and have saved a ton of money nursing this old car through 206,000 miles.

2. buddhajer

buddhajer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update: The reason for the $950 is to investigate the hybrid battery system. They think there may be corrosion or something. So, they said it would cost $950 to take out the back seat, trunk, etc... to inspect the battery.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Yeah so think about that they're going to go in the back take up the plastic plate undo the nuts on the cover take off the cover look at the bus bars and nuts what you're going to be frosted and then tell you they need to do a bunch of work I can do that myself so can many here. The choice of spending money is certainly an individual one. I couldn't see 950 and then having to put that hell a new battery from the Toyota dealer brand new You should be able to finagle them for about 14 to $1,900 or something brand new. So how many years ago was the hybrid battery replaced and was it new or a rebuilt thing? At 110,000 miles and what you have on now that should be 10 years or something like that? Batteries are time sensitive seems like

buddhajer likes this.
  4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    do you have any options besides the dealer?
    it's nice that they'll apply the $950. to the repair, BUT: you can generally get a new battery for under 3k installed.
    what if they tell you the repairs will be a lot more expensive?

ask them for the trouble codes they recieved and post them here. it is unusual for a dealer to get involved with opening up the battery.

a smaller shop should be able to open up the battery, clean corrosion, replace cells and balance, or whatever it might need. but in the end, it will not be a new battery.

buddhajer likes this.
  5. buddhajer

buddhajer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the reply. Very helpful.

We got the battery replaced by the dealer with an new one on June, 2014 at 124,000 miles, 8 years after we bought it new. It was under warranty. The battery is almost nine years old. The battery has 83,000 miles on it.

Seems like it can't be the battery, but maybe age is a thing.

6. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Would need to know what trouble codes were set when the master warning light came on. Then can make an educated guess.

Complete (uneducated) WAG - corrosion on the voltage sense connector at the battery ecu.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

buddhajer likes this.
  7. PriuSocal

PriuSocal Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am new to the prius / hybrid gang and I had a funny newbie moment last week with my gen 2 and a triangle of death. I was sitting in the car while in the driveway with the door open and my foot out while attempting to turn the car on and move it forward a bit to service it and I would get the triangle light and car would not start. Was stumped for like 10-15 minutes and then closed my door and the triangle went away and car started lol. Looks like the car will not start or drive while you have the door open of safety,

This may be funny now but when youre going thru it and are new to these cars, it can def scare the heck out of you.

bisco and buddhajer like this.
  8. douglasjre

douglasjre Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I say go for it. Sounds like a good deal. Get that car fixed!

buddhajer likes this.
  9. MCCOHENS

MCCOHENS Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It has been a few years since we have replaced a HV battery but I think it is still possible to get a replacement battery for under a grand installed. If you are selling it this option might be worth while. Not getting into the new/reconditioned debate, if it will be someone else's car this fix keeps it running and get rid of the triangle. Currently running reconditioned batts in 2 of 3 cars with no issue a year later. And both cost less than a grand.

buddhajer likes this.
  10. buddhajer

buddhajer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey everyone. Thanks for all the ideas and support. I decided to go through with the inspection. They found that the battery had leaked and corroded a lot of 'terminals.' We needed to get a new hybrid battery and also clean up all the connections. We decided to get one. $3400 parts and labor out the door. Ugh. But, cheaper than a new car and I think we can sell it for that price. Works fine now.

Now if only I can find a way to turn off auto lock...

ColoradoBoo likes this.
  11. buddhajer

buddhajer Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We did!

Yes, corrosion and leaking battery.

-------------

The code was P0AA6-52G Hybrid battery Voltage system isolation fault.

#11 buddhajer, Apr 11, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2023
  12. broski

broski Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    If you wanted to sell the car.. why would you do that when all you had to do was get a $800 refurb battery and sell it for the same price you'll get for it now with that new battery? $2k+ down the drain. Awful advice from the person suggesting to let the dealer fix it.

13. ColoradoBoo

ColoradoBoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Glad you got those batteries replaced and I've never heard of a Toyota hybrid battery leaking, now I have a new thing to worry about! :)

14. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It may be the hybrid battery again if your killing it.

Killing it requires the car to sit most of its life or just short distances all the time. This never puts a solid charge on the battery so it sits alot depleted. That will excite corrosion.