1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer warranty cost

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by priusmatty, Feb 27, 2021.

1. priusmatty

priusmatty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    I want an 8 year Platinum extended warranty, so I am shipping around with dealers across the US. Does anyone know what the dealers themselves pay for it? This knowledge would be a great bargaining tool!

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've never looked into it. But I do know that they are priced so that, on average, everyone involved makes money except the customer. Otherwise, they wouldn't offer it.

MPGboss, Tande, MTN and 3 others like this.
  3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Agree

Auto Service Contracts and Warranties | FTC Consumer Information

Unless it is Manufacturer backed, I would keep well away from it. Here, they're almost only ever available at the time of purchase of the car via the selling dealer - unless they have a heavy mark-up $$$€€€.

I'd particularly wonder about 8 years - which, on top of the Factory Warranty of 5 (?) years - is 13 years. Almost nobody keeps a car even 8 years, let alone 13. We may not even be driving Petrol cars in 13 years, the way things are changing. And the PRIUS Battery (and drivetrain?) is already covered by an extended warranty by TOYOTA - 8 (or 10?) years.

Disadvantages - most only are applicable for the original owner - so if you sell the car for whatever reason - it's lost. Also, if the car is written off in an accident, end of warranty - no payout. Any I've seen insist on TOTAL service records - miss one or too late, warranty is ended. But worst - they have $$$€€€ limits on claims - and they're always to the advantage of the Warranty Company - many minor items are excluded, and, if it did happen to be an engine, gearbox - one claim I heard about they only paid about half of the engine rebuild.

With PRIUS topping the reliability statistics, I wouldn't bother - but then - it's your $$$$.

Auto Service Contracts and Warranties | FTC Consumer Information

jerrymildred likes this.
  4. priusmatty

priusmatty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    You can buy Toyota extended warranties any time up to three years after purchase, and it can be transferred if you sell it. You can cancel it any time.

5. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Check it is by TOYOTA, and not the DEALER - they don't offer anything like that here.

6. priusmatty

priusmatty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
  7. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  8. MTN

MTN Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Save your $.
    The factory bumper to bumper will cover anything that fails during the initial few years. The Federal emissions warranty will cover other expensive components for longer, and the Toyota hybrid/battery warranty will cover you even longer.

alanclarkeau likes this.
  9. priusmatty

priusmatty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    I apologize in that I think I posed my question in clearly. So, the dealer pays Toyota for the extended warranty, then sells it to customers. I am asking, how much does the dealer buy it for, from Toyota?

10. alanclarkeau

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you're asking a question they won't tell you - and possibly aren't allowed to divulge.

Like a Brake Rotor - their price is their price - the price they pay TOYOTA is generally regarded as between them and TOYOTA. You might be able to negotiate a discount - but they're not going to be telling anyone what they pay for it. It could also be Commercial in Confidence - but not sure.

11. priusmatty

priusmatty Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    I figured that. I was just wondering if anyone on this forum knew lol

12. MPGboss

MPGboss Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    XLE
    With a Prius and its general high level of reliability you'll lose money on an extended warranty. You're better off putting aside those $$$ as a fund to fix whatever random things happen after the factory warranty imo. If the car has frequent issues, then you're better off selling it I think.

MTN likes this.
  13. HopefulGasSipper

HopefulGasSipper Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    For anybody reading this searching for information on an extended new car warranty, I would like to share the name Jerry Johnson at Midwest Toyota in Hutchinson Kansas.

If you bought the car new, and you're within the three year, 36000-mile range, give him a call. They don't mark up their ToyotaCare warranty like a lot of dealerships do.

If you bought the car under a Toyota certified (TCUV) program, you got to buy the warranty at the time of purchase.