1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer's name tag on my new car

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by GreenMachine, Nov 5, 2005.

1. meezercat

meezercat New Member

My husband does autocross racing. When he bought his last car, it had the dealership sticker on it when he showed up to take delivery. He said to the sales manager "Oh, I didn't realize you wanted a sponsorship - I left my sponsorship paperwork at home. Let me go back and get it so we can get that deal taken care of before I sign all the delivery paperwork on the car." The sticker was removed cleanly, within minutes.

2. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    ROFL! That one makes my day :) thanks

3. TALON

TALON New Member

I have bought over 40 new cars in my life, never bought one with a dealer sticker on it. I guess dealers in nothern Califorina do that.

4. lgeisz

lgeisz Junior Member

I told my dealership when I ordered my Prius that if it had a dealer sticker or any other advertisement on my Prius I would not take the car and would want my deposit back. They made sure no decal went on.

5. Cocoatreat

Cocoatreat New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    i dont put stickers on my cars(no matter how passionate i can be!)......now the dealer tag advertising doesnt bother me......i was very happy with my dealer.......but those pesty stickers.....i will not take.....it just ruins the beautiful look of the car......
    but maybe if i could find a "i still hate george bush" sticker......perhaps!............ :lol:

6. engunneer

engunneer Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I'll have to repost the pics, but there was my old topic: http://priuschat.com/index.php?showtopic=7603

I'm glad they didn;t put a sticker on mine, but I had to replace the plate frames. DaveinOlyWA, and Frank Hudon have seen my custom frame, and I am due to make them each one. Any other takers?

7. aaf709

aaf709 Ravenpaw of ThunderClan

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    CA doesn't seem to have logos or stickers, at least the ones I've seen are out of state.

Mine had the dealer license plate from, which I don't really mind. I did take the rear one off right away to change to one I got from Universal Studios for the BTTF ride:

BRINGING YOU YESTERDAY'S TOMORROW...TODAY!

INSTITUTE OF FUTURE TECHNOLOGY

I replaced the front one recently with one from Target which has paw prints. :)

BTW Godiva, how is Kearny Mesa at oil changes? I have my 10,000 coming up.

8. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I might be interested but the picture seems to be gone from the old thread, can you repost?

9. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

I've had fantasies of coming in and slapping political bumper stickers on dealership vehicles and then acting like they are being unreasonable when they object.

10. engunneer

engunneer Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
  11. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    They did great. Not only did they only put in the three quarts I requested (I popped the hood and checked before I drove off) but they also had it done 30 min. early. I had barely got to my parents house and started reading the paper when they called to say it was ready. 40 min. earlier than their estimate. I had also requested that they NOT wash it, which they also did not do. I love it when they actually follow directions. That was only my first, 5,000 mile oil change. We'll see if they continue the stellar service.

12. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I got one at the dealership and another on eBay. Has the start button symbol on the front and a Prius on the back with the start poem.

I bought another on eBay that's from a Berkley dealership with green print. It says "Evolve. We dare you."

What I'd really like is the blue cotton shirt with the green leaf car embroidered on it.

There are a few more Tees out there I don't have, but I only want the official Toyota or dealership ones. I'm not interested in private party ones. Except for Priuschat. I'm still waiting for our new T-shirt to become available once the design has been finalized.

13. danoday

danoday Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    When I bought the Prius, I did it at the last second... found a dealer in Los Angeles that had just gotten one on the lot the previous night, and flew down to pick it up that day. I specified on the phone that there was to be no 'dealer' sticker on the car, and there wasn't. Since the dealer was out of state, the free advertising wouldn't have done much good for him anyway.

The previous three vehicles, I printed up a contract explaining that if there was a dealer sticker on the vehicle upon my acceptance of delivery, it would constitute acceptance of an advertising contract between myself and the dealer, where I would invoice the dealership on a monthly basis a charge which approximately matched my payment on the vehicle. I was under no obligation to inform them upon delivery, and was under no obligation to return the car to them for 'removal' of the offending advertising. Essentially, if they put advertising on the car, they were on the hook for paying me as long as I wanted to try to bill them. I made it clear to the sales manager that I would not purchase the car if they did not sign this contract... in all cases, they did (after some severe grumbling). They did seem to recognize that it was really up to them... if they chose to take the extra two minutes to make sure that there was no dealer sticker on the car, they were off the hook.

The first time I did this, the sales guy came out and explained that there was a little 'problem' with the prep crew, and that they had put advertising on the car. He asked me to wait while they removed it. Since I had not accepted delivery yet, and the sticker caused no damage, this wasn't a big deal and the dealer didn't incur any charges. The second time, it worked like a charm... the car was completely unmarked. The third purchase was an RV, and RV dealers love bannering their products... but they didn't!

Now, all the vehicles purchased before that (there were only two), I requested that there would be no dealer identifying information, but there was in both cases. The second time (a Suzuki Sidekick), the dealer said "C'mon, it's only a little sticker"... I took it off myself later. Obviously, you have to have something to 'hook' the dealer, or they just won't cooperate.

Now, would the contract hold up in court? The lawyer friend that wrote the original said that it probably would, for a time, although if they requested removal of the sticker at a later time, I'd probably have to make a reasonable effort to let them do it. The court would determine what 'reasonable' is, of course. Fact is, I've never had a problem with having to enforce this... once the dealer finds out that it may cost them money, they make doubly sure that there isn't anything on the car!

Dan

14. Kiloran

Kiloran New Member

I have a new role model! :D

15. LaughingMan

LaughingMan Active Member

Very good, Dan!

16. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I took delivery of my Prius in OK, I removed the dealer's sticker from the rear hatch within 15 miles of the lot. The dealer plate frames and temp tags remained, however, for the entire trip back to Alaska (5200 miles), as I wanted to emphasize to local law enforcement the car was brand new and not stolen.

When I got back to AK, the plate frames came off withing 24 hours of hitting the driveway and were replaced with USAF frames. Temp tags went away as well, as I got license plates.

I hate dealer advertising, especially when I have so much stored disgust for the dealer that sold me mine.

17. rockmon1!

rockmon1! New Member

If they were any better designed! They're usually blocky and really poorly done. We're considering these fine cars to be well designed (amoungst many aspects) ... why muck it up with a bad logo!?!?

it's kinda like bad panty lines in my book!

18. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

NO WAY.

Being highly paranoid, I don't want anything that can "personalize" my car. You never know when some odd circumstance might arise requiring some form of vehicular stealth.

"Suspect is driving a blue Toyota Prius with a XXXXX sticker on it, IRA Toyota badge, last seen heading northbound on 128 near the Burlington Mall exit..."

:ph34r:

19. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I'm curious what part of New Jersey you are from where you didn't see this as "the norm". When I ordered my Prius from 3 different dealership all the cars on their lots had some sort of "marking" to state it was from that dealership.
    I ordered from a dealership in Mercer County, Camden County and Burlington County.

And when I picked it up at the dealership in Camden County, I immediately took the sticker off. They didn't seem too surprised.

Just curious.

20. Trojan

Trojan New Member

My Toyota dealership doesn't put any stickers or decals on the cars, thankfully. I'd be very annoyed by that. I just have the license plate frames with their names on them, and I'll be replacing the rear one promptly with my USC Alumni frame. :)