1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealer's recommendations for maintenance??

Discussion in 'Prius v Main Forum' started by Zoltar, Aug 19, 2021.

1. gromittoo

gromittoo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Unless I read the posts wrong, Zoltar is at 112k. I was suggesting the EGR cleaning only because the Wiper tray is a PITA to get out. There is some economy it doing both the Plugs and the Cooler at the same time. It was only a suggestion, and perhaps something for Zoltar to file away as an important service down the road.

In my case, I did the cleaning at 95k on my 2013 v. I could not see light through my EGR cooler. I had a clean cooler I bought on eBay, and I tried blowing (by mouth) through both of them for comparison. The 95k mile cooler was still functional, but significantly plugged up. I burn less than 1/4 Quart of oil per 5K.

I also found the EGR passages in the IM fairly plugged up, especially the one furthest from the EGR valve. I think that is cylinder #1. Someone posted a picture of the hole in their cylinder #1 piston. It is this uneven distribution of EGR gas making it to the cylinders that can cause damage to one cylinder (or head gasket near that one cylinder), and yet not throw a P0401 code.

My gut feeling is that 140K is when the EGR cleaning on a pre ring redesign engine must be done. Data is being gathered.