1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealership being vague about inverter problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by pirateyoho, May 30, 2017.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    measure it with the car off, after it has been off a few hours.

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When the car is in ready the car is on and should be charging, it will say READY on the dashboard.
    if the engine is on or not does not matter. The inverter gets its power from the hybrid battery and D.C. D.C. Converter takes the battery 230 volts down to 14 to charge the 12 volt battery.
    Make car ready what's the volts across the front jump points. Should be 14 volts give or take a .5 volt.
    Just has 12 somethings wrong most likely missing the small black 12 volt sense wire that goes to the inverter via a sense circuit. Theres 2 black wires connected to the pos post on the battery a big black wire and that small black wire.

3. pirateyoho

pirateyoho Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Here's a (potentially) interesting new observation today. When I first turned my car on, the charging system warning light was on, but it turned off after a few minutes; when it did turn off, at the same time my air conditioning got much colder and ramped up the fan speed. Could this at all help narrow down where the problem could be?

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What is the difference between READY and "totally running"? If in fact you measured 11.9V when READY, that is evidence the DC/DC converter has failed. That may be an intermittent condition.

edthefox5 likes this.
  5. pirateyoho

pirateyoho Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, I misspoke. 11.9 V was the first reading I took with the car in diagnostic mode (looking at the voltage displayed on the MFD, not with an external voltmeter). So the car would have been in ACC mode then, not READY. It then shot up to about 13.7 V once I hit the power button again (while pressing down on the brake) and put the car in READY.

6. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    13.7 is normal when the car is in READY. Bottom line sounds like your 12 volt battery is jacked up. Replacement asap before you blow up the Inverter.

7. pirateyoho

pirateyoho Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It's just strange because when I took it to the dealership and initially had the codes read, they filled out the full vehicle inspection checklist and indicated that my 12V battery performance was good and the cables/terminals/mountings were all fine.

I feel like I'm running out of things to rule out, but the warning lights are still consistent. So frustrating.

8. pirateyoho

pirateyoho Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In fact, the only thing they found wrong on the inspection was that my front brake pads were 2mm and need replacing. But that shouldn't have anything to do with a P0A08 code...

9. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It sounds like something weird is going on with the inverter - like perhaps the crash on the rear has loosened a wire and now it occasionally disconnects, causing the inverter to stop intermittently. You might try purchasing a one of those voltmeters that plugs into the cigarette lighter and monitor the voltage whenever the warning light comes on.

pirateyoho likes this.
  10. pirateyoho

pirateyoho Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the suggestion. I've driven with the car in diagnostic mode while the warning lights were on to monitor the battery voltage during my usual commute and didn't see anything unusual that day, but something that plugs into my cigarette lighter may be more practical for keeping an eye on it for longer periods of time.

11. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Scan Gauge is very helpful. Its got a good form factor that you can monitor water temp and 12 volts and mileage while driving and it can read and clear codes including hybrid codes. Very good investment.
    There's torque app for android and there's also a mini vci which is most inclusive as it has Toyota tecjhtream software but requires a laptop.

12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Be aware after 10 years on this site it seems the dealer is incapable of properly testing the Prius 12 volt battery. Countless people have gotten the ok on there 12 volt battery only to be stranded later with a dead 12. If there's even the slightest thought the 12 may be bad freakin' replace it.

13. pirateyoho

pirateyoho Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I bought one of those cigarette lighter voltmeters and have been monitoring my car for a couple of days. For the most part, the readings matched what I posted earlier; ACC mode would read in the upper 11-low 12 Vs, then READY mode would read 13.7-13.8 V, and that voltage would be maintained for the duration of the trip. Today, however, I noticed that in READY mode, the voltage reading I got was 14.8-15.0 V, and that was maintained for nearly the entirety of the drive. I also noticed that when the voltage was this high, the charging system failure light was no longer lit on the MFD, but the hybrid system failure MFD light, and the (!) and VSC dash lights remained. Toward the end of the trip, the charging system failure light came back on, and I peeked at the voltmeter and saw it had dropped back down to 13.7 V.

Any ideas? It's seems as if my car thinks 13.7 V in READY is too low and must mean the inverter is having trouble, but I thought that was considered normal? Whereas 14.8-15.0 V seems way too high.

#33 pirateyoho, Jul 24, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  14. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you checked the calibration of the plug in volt meter against a known reliable hand held volt meter? It is possible that the plug in volt meter is reading too high by 0.6 V. in which case your low voltage would be more like 13.1 which would be marginally low, and those high readings would be about right.

The high readings means that the voltage sense is detecting a flat battery, so cranks up the voltage to charge it. 13.2-13.6 means the voltage sense is detecting a full battery so just trickle charges it.

15. pirateyoho

pirateyoho Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't own a hand held voltmeter, but the voltages I was reading on this plug in did agree with the voltages displayed on the MFD in diagnostic mode, and with the voltages displayed by my OBDII scanner/Torque app.

16. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ah ok, the MDF reading is about 0.2 - 0.3 V lower than if you read directly at the battery, but matches the voltage when read at the ACC plug. I don't know why.

17. pirateyoho

pirateyoho Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So if it's detecting a flat battery, is replacing the 12V the most likely fix? I replaced the 12V battery back in November, so that's an awfully short life, but I do also only ever take short trips, which isn't supposed to be the best for auxiliary battery longevity.

18. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not necessarily. You could invest in a modern 12 V battery smart charger with AGM setting (if you don't have one already) and try charging it up. You could then put it on the charger anytime the car is not going to be used for several days.

However, you may have other issues going on with the car to cause the battery to go flat.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    ^ This. Our car often sits idle for a couple of days. I'll hook up my smart charger, just leave it on. After charging session is done (say in 4~5 hours) it'll just send occasional pulses, to maintain.

20. AliPK

AliPK Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ever had your HV battery fan cleaned?my two cents.