1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealership Incident

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by John321, Dec 30, 2022.

1. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Dealerships get a bad rap, sometimes deservedly so.

Thought I would relate this incident that I witnessed at a Dealership on December 21,2022.

I took in our PHEV to a Dealership to get the A/C system checked out. Dealership is 40 miles from us so I was waiting in the Customer Reception Area for my service to be completed with all the other customers.

A Service Advisor came into the Area and of course we all looked at him hoping he was going to give us information on our vehicle.

He walked up to another Customer seated across from us and said the Service Technician working on his car had found this under his seat - a $50 bill. He gave it to the Customer who was quite surprised. The Customer called his wife after the Service Advisor had left and she said she had misplaced/lost the $50 bill and was putting off telling him about it. The gentleman told us his wife was very happy and relieved.

Often, we forget that Dealerships and Businesses are just collections of people like us - in this case very nice honest people.

2. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    For the most part, I find most people to be honest.

Having said that I have found a local Toyota dealer in my "sorta" new home of Oregon to be a little less than honest. I was looking for tires for my daughter's car -- a RAV4 -- and as the dealer was having a tire sale, figured I would give them a shot. The service adviser gave me a price that included wheel alignment. Told him "I don't want no stinking alignment." He told me that Michelin "required" an alignment. I thanked him and walked out.

Wifey, without my consent or knowledge, scheduled an oil change at same dealer (to be honest, half the time I am at our Washington state home and she did not want to bother me with the simple DIY job).

They told her her brakes were worn almost to a dangerous state -- after the $80 oil change I would have done for about $25. The pads have about 30 percent left.

So, there are reasons dealers sometimes get a bad rep. But, even dealers, in my experience, are usually honest. Pricey, but honest. But, nowadays, even independent mechanics are pricey. My personal mechnic, whom I totally trust, charges $90 for an oil change.