1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Dealership is requiring a carbon cleaning?

Discussion in 'Prius c Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BlueMols, Jan 2, 2017.

1. BlueMols

BlueMols New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hey first post!

So, my 2013 Prius C Three was sitting for two weeks after I drove it home and left it in the driveway with the empty light on. When I came back to the car wouldn't start, tried ignition button twice, sounded like it attempted to turn over and then after the second push of the button it only made a faint electrical buzzing sound.

Called out two separate vehicle roadside assistance guys who both attempted to jump it and we even put 4 gallons of gas in, which as far as I know should be more than enough to get the empty light to turn off.

Eventually had to tow it to the local Toyota dealership here in LA and now they are telling me I need a $300 carbon cleaning service which will not be covered by the certified preowned warranty. He said the car is drivable but attempted to scare me into buying the service by saying that if you don't purchase it it will be noted on your warranty...

Keep in mind I purchased this car certified preowned with 16,000 miles on it two months ago, it now has ~18,500. The technician on the phone said it's not the injectors it is the line from the tank to the injectors and said that it is my fault for driving it on empty and therefore will not be covered.

Anyone been through this before?

Thanks!

2. bat4255

bat4255 2017 Prius v #2 and 2008 Gen II #2

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Smells scammy.

I never heard of "carbon cleaning"

3. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    WOW. A new scam.

A $15 can of Techron in a full tank of gas is all the "carbon cleaning" your engine should ever need.
    (Read the label; it probably won't even need a full can.)

Given what happened to you.......what did they do to make it "dirveable" again ?
    If they did not replace the 12 V battery, you are likely to have trouble again soon.

But yes, it is important to NOT run it completely out of gas......but that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with carbon in the engine.......AND that is a low fuel light, not empty. It is highly likely that being low on fuel had NOTHING to do with the car not starting.

4. BlueMols

BlueMols New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    They looked up the codes and reset them as far as I know. And he told me this within two hours of it getting to the dealership so I doubt the disassembled anything so quickly to actually take a look.

The technician on the phone said that because I drove it on empty it sucked whatever carbon build up was in the tank into the line...

Going to try and get them to pay for it under the warranty tomm when I pick it up.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    i think you had a discharged 12v. what dealer is this?
    all the best!(y)

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah the 2 weeks sitting, maybe with a borderline battery to begin with.

7. FF/Medic

FF/Medic Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Go ahead and insist your scammy dealer note you need "carbon cleaning" on your certified preowned warranty so other Toyota dealers can be amused.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Who would want dirty carbon? :LOL: :D

andusee likes this.
  9. Sean Nelson

Sean Nelson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Carbon is supposed to be dirty - it won't work right if it's clean!

andusee, DonDNH and Prodigyplace like this.
  10. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Carbon cleaning at 18.5k mi?

And it being done on a fuel line?

I'm thinking it's time to name the guilty.

(There are reasons to clean carbon on a Prius - the exhaust gas recirculation system can cause the intake tract to be clogged with soot - but that's not the fuel system, that's the intake system.)

Prodigyplace likes this.
  11. Sam Spade

Sam Spade Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Total BS. "Carbon" does not build up in the gas tank.

12. I have, I had to have it done twice in two years on my old 4x4, and it hadn't even gone 10000 miles in between.
    VIP told me years ago to put Techron in with the fuel basically each time that I get the oil changed, well, let's just say every 5000 miles (with that car). Since then, that's what I've been doing.

Leaving your car sitting for two weeks does not cause that kind of carbon buildup.